Hotel disabled HDMI input for TV?

Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
If the TV has the lodgenet remote, usually pressing the "function" button cycles through the inputs.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I carry around a "modified" Fire Stick for this purpose.

Good tip above on unplugging the phone line.

And for those of us that carry an Amazon Stick - there's a "remote" app that allows your phone to become the remote. At that point, I'm able to carry around all the videos I could ever watch on a device smaller than my finger. Good for those of us trying to minimize our load. @:-)
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: IEEE
Though somewhat unrelated, why do hotels disable the channel guide feature on their TV's? It seems ludicrous that you have to wait 3-5 minutes for the commercials to run before seeing what program you're watching, and then flip to another channel and repeat the process. Anyone know how to enable the channel guide feature?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nacho
Yes. Also if they allow you to bring drinks and food from outside to consume in your room, why wouldn't they let you watch BYO movies on their TV?

No way to block outside food and drinks.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:43 pm

I just decided I am the meanest parent in America because there is NO way I am hauling a video game when we travel. Or for that matter really letting them play or watch movies that much. Probably why we never noticed this issue. Oh well, they will live!
ackpfft likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I just decided I am the meanest parent in America because there is NO way I am hauling a video game when we travel. Or for that matter really letting them play or watch movies that much. Probably why we never noticed this issue. Oh well, they will live!
All depends on circumstances. When my kids were small & played travel sports, a video game & TV was ideal for downtime (parental socializing and downtime, mind you.). I recall staying once at a Hilton Homewood, the ports/inputs were blocked so off I went to the local Best Buy for a TV.

But otherwise, of course I agree...
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:31 pm

Lg 43lh340h

So I know this thread is older, but I thought I'd chime in, as I travel with a FireTV and have had to resort to increasingly ridiculous workarounds to get hotel TVs to accept my illicit HDMI input.

I just came across a newer one and thought I'd share. I travel for business and have been enjoying the newer TownePlace Suites by Marriott chains for many reasons, but the TVs were actually kind of nice. They have an LG hijack box that has several streaming apps you can log into with your own credentials that are automatically cleared on checkout. Many of them also have a Chromecast attached so you can stream from your mobile device for apps that aren't represented on the built-in box. This has meant that my Fire stays in the suitcase, which is fine; one less thing.

However, the most recent one I stayed at was brand new, and the Chromecast hadn't been configured yet, and they were missing the HBO Go/Now app, boo! So I wanted to plug in my FireTV. Problem: the HDMI ports on the TV are disabled. You can pull the hotel's HDMI out of the TV and try to use that, BUT the LG-hijack box controls volume with the non-standard remote, and there are NO buttons in the TV itself to be able to change it (and it defaults loud enough for your neighbors to call the front desk on you).

Workaround: Look behind the TV, behind the dresser/stand it's bolted to, if you can. The LG-hijack box is bolted back there and IT has two HDMI inputs. One contains the (unconfigured) Chromecast, and one is empty. I wasn't able to make it work in the empty one, but replacing the Chromecast with the FireTV enabled me to operate as normal.

Just remember to put it all back as you found it before checking out; don't be that guy.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Chewie
If the TV has the lodgenet remote, usually pressing the "function" button cycles through the inputs.
I made this account strictly to thank you, this worked, I am forever indebted.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices
If you press "0" on the Marriott remote a few times it tends to switch the input ports and allow HDMI. This doesn't work in all instances.
You my good man, are a genius
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The biggest issue for me (using Android Tablet and HDMI lead) is generally the volume cap but there is a way around that too if you search hard enough
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:44 pm

On the properties which have the Smart TVs (Netflix/YouTube/Pandora) built in, you'll usually find a small box behind the TV. If you disconnect the RJ-11 (telephone cable) between the cable box and TV, you'll find the TV becomes a plain-old TV and works normally.

If you stumble across an LG box behind the TV, I've had good luck with just plugging my device into the LG box and hitting Source / Input on the remote, no hackery needed.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Joanna Poe
You can pull the hotel's HDMI out of the TV and try to use that, BUT the LG-hijack box controls volume with the non-standard remote, and there are NO buttons in the TV itself to be able to change it (and it defaults loud enough for your neighbors to call the front desk on you).
Is there not a little joystick under the TV at the center, under the LG logo? A lot of LGs have gone to that kind of control. If you move it, you get a menu that (iirc) includes volume and input.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by KRSW
On the properties which have the Smart TVs (Netflix/YouTube/Pandora) built in, you'll usually find a small box behind the TV. If you disconnect the RJ-11 (telephone cable) between the cable box and TV, you'll find the TV becomes a plain-old TV and works normally.
This -- though occasionally I've seen ones where you need to disconnect and reconnect the power cable to get it to reboot in normal mode.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I havent started to carry my Roku around yet, but the apparent effort displayed on here for what I thought would be simple is discouraging. In the past I sometimes use the tv as a second monitor from my laptop. Apparently Ive been lucky and had an easy time switching inputs on the tv, but now I know I will potentially have to work a little harder to do so.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:20 am

@COSPILOT -- Despite what you're seeing in this thread, it's usually trivial to get a Roku/Fire stick to connect to the TV. Unplugging a cable or two isn't a big amount of effort. The biggest issue is usually signing into the hotel's WiFi sign-on screen. I know the older Rokus can't do it, but the Fire TV sticks and newest Roku products can.
kennycrudup and COSPILOT like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.