Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:23 pm

:sadbeep:
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I was SPG Gold last year and early this year, thanks to a MasterCard promotion. That matched to Marriott Gold where I took the Platinum challenge which I completed in March. My Marriott account shows Platinum Premier Elite (after first showing only PP) but my SPG account shows just PP. I haven't merged the accounts.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by danger
I was SPG Gold last year and early this year, thanks to a MasterCard promotion. That matched to Marriott Gold where I took the Platinum challenge which I completed in March. My Marriott account shows Platinum Premier Elite (after first showing only PP) but my SPG account shows just PP. I haven't merged the accounts.
??? Platinum Premier is PP so this isn't making a lot of sense.

If you made MR Plat prior to the merge, then you should be MR PP. The linking of accounts should be gone. If you were SPG Gold prior to the merge, you should be SPG Gold now. When you combine your accounts you should be MPG PP. They still have more work to get everything worked out so expect to see changes if you don't combine before they get to your SPG account.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
New challenge is up?

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/09/04/reader-question-marriott-rewards-spg-platinum-challenge-has-reopened/

Has anybody tried this?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by RogerD408
??? Platinum Premier is PP so this isn't making a lot of sense.

If you made MR Plat prior to the merge, then you should be MR PP. The linking of accounts should be gone. If you were SPG Gold prior to the merge, you should be SPG Gold now. When you combine your accounts you should be MPG PP. They still have more work to get everything worked out so expect to see changes if you don't combine before they get to your SPG account.
When you linked he account prior to 8/18, shouldn't the status also be matched?

I thought the point of merging post 8/18 is to combine nights and stays, so you could achieve a higher status based on the combined nights for this year. It shouldn't prevent current status from being matched.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
:sadbeep:
Sorry sad for you.

I'm glad I did the platinum challenge last year when I had the chance. I'll have 50+ nights this year, so at least I'll be Plat for another year.

Maybe you can do a challenge when it reopens
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SP03
When you linked he account prior to 8/18, shouldn't the status also be matched?

I thought the point of merging post 8/18 is to combine nights and stays, so you could achieve a higher status based on the combined nights for this year. It shouldn't prevent current status from being matched.
Yes, linking got you the higher of the two accounts and the ability to transfer points back and forth. That lasted until the merge (8/18).
Combining your accounts post 8/18, got you the higher of the two accounts without regard for any uplifts provided by linking or other non-earned bumps, so if linking your accounts moved you from Gold in MR to Plat, you do not get PP.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Angry Yet another confusing update

Originally Posted by IAHFlyBoi
I'm traveling every week, and I'm keeping track of how many points I'm currently to be shorted being PE vs PPE. This really sucks, and while it might be a "small segment" in my case, and that of others, its likely a "higher value" small segment, so I find it interesting that almost 1/2 a month later, there is no change, no phone call, no personal touch...me thinks this is a portent of things to come...Marriott will become like United.
I spoke to yet another CSR today, who informed me that if you had done the challenge and made platinum, they will keep you at platinum until you hit 75 nights, so no PPE until you actually satisfy the 75 night requirement. This is just such a confusing and frustrating mess.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
I'm being told by a Marriott CSR that you have to have 75 nights to be PPE, regardless of if you successfully met the challenge or not. That would also explain why for me my status is stuck at Platinum. For those that did the challenge and have <75 nights this year, please chime in.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I spoke to yet another CSR today, who informed me that if you had done the challenge and made platinum, they will keep you at platinum until you hit 75 nights, so no PPE until you actually satisfy the 75 night requirement. This is just such a confusing and frustrating mess.
I'm being told by a Marriott CSR that you have to have 75 nights to be PPE, regardless of if you successfully met the challenge or not. That would also explain why for me my status is stuck at Platinum. For those that did the challenge and have <75 nights this year, please chime in.
Nope, not for me. I did the challenge from MR Gold: #Nights < 75 and status = PPE. The CS reps are just making it up as they go along, but bonus points for creativity!
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by WorldPalmHand
I can't tell if Marriott is still in the process of upgrading those to Plat Premier that did a platinum challenge early this year.

I'm still not Plat Premier. I'm not sure the percentage of you who are versus who are not.
It seems you have to have 75 nights to be PPE, even if you met the challenge, they will NOT bump you up to Platinum Premier, you must have nights, regardless of successfully completing the Platinum challenge earlier in the year. The CSR I spoke to said that legacy Platinums that had 75 nights were bumped up to PPE. Folks such as us that met the challenge and got bumped from Legacy Gold to Legacy Platinum will remain Platinum, till we satisfy the 75 night requirement. For me it is a moot point, as I will cross that threshold soon, for others that were hoping to get bumped to PPE, with <75 nights, I wouldn't hold my breath. If there are those amongst us that are now PPE b/c they met the challenge earlier this year and have <75 nights, would love to hear from you.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
It seems you have to have 75 nights to be PPE, even if you met the challenge, they will NOT bump you up to Platinum Premier, you must have nights, regardless of successfully completing the Platinum challenge earlier in the year. The CSR I spoke to said that legacy Platinums that had 75 nights were bumped up to PPE. Folks such as us that met the challenge and got bumped from Legacy Gold to Legacy Platinum will remain Platinum, till we satisfy the 75 night requirement. For me it is a moot point, as I will cross that threshold soon, for others that were hoping to get bumped to PPE, with <75 nights, I wouldn't hold my breath. If there are those amongst us that are now PPE b/c they met the challenge earlier this year and have <75 nights, would love to hear from you.
That info is in direct contradiction to what I got from Marriott via DM in Twitter. They said my status should be Platinum Premier if I completed a challenge before 8/18. I am pretty sure others have gotten similar info. I guess we will see what actually happens but I expected to be PPE before the combining of systems and the message I got last week says that should be the case as well. My status still shows Plat however........
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: NH Platinum; UA Silver; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
The CSR I spoke to said that legacy Platinums that had 75 nights were bumped up to PPE. If there are those amongst us that are now PPE b/c they met the challenge earlier this year and have <75 nights, would love to hear from you.
Could you please stop treating the word of a phone CSR as gospel? You've done that for your last three posts now, and it's really quite irritating considering that it is not a good habit to have. Hint: the more they insist that they are right, the more wrong they usually are.

If there are those amongst us that are now PPE b/c they met the challenge earlier this year and have <75 nights, would love to hear from you.
There are already dozens of DPs of exactly what you are describing, if you look through the earlier posts on this thread + the megathread on reddit. I am one of them. Yes, my account only showed Platinum status after the merger, but I was upgraded from Platinum to PP as part of the first batch of status updates on the afternoon of August 23rd. It has been acknowledged that the Platinum status was a mistake, and it should have been PP immediately after the merger.
mcgahat and yurtripper like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by jaycis
Could you please stop treating the word of a phone CSR as gospel? You've done that for your last three posts now, and it's really quite irritating considering that it is not a good habit to have. Hint: the more they insist that they are right, the more wrong they usually are.

There are already dozens of DPs of exactly what you are describing, if you look through the earlier posts on this thread + the megathread on reddit. I am one of them. Yes, my account only showed Platinum status after the merger, but I was upgraded from Platinum to PP as part of the first batch of status updates on the afternoon of August 23rd. It has been acknowledged that the Platinum status was a mistake, and it should have been PP immediately after the merger.
Will it last till Jan 2020 ?
They told me so prior the merger.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jaycis
Yes, thank you.

There's a term for this on the UA forum . . . MOLA (mistaken or lying agent). Their main purpose is to get you off the line, and as a bonus, dissuade you from calling back.
RogerD408 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.