Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Now showing PP on my Marriott app so things are looking up. No more of this nonsense that people who did the challenge (or got LTPP) were actually some kind of prior 'pseudo Platinum' status and would thus be ineligible for PP.

SPG app still shows plain Platinum though.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
2.5 points per dollar and potential for better upgrades. The latter may be , because there are going to be a gazillion new Plats for the next 5.5 months due to the generous transition rules. I'm guessing Plats are not going to see many free suites this year.
I am guessing there won't be many suite upgrades for anyone other than those who have Suite Night Upgrade Awards. How many millions of those are out there and who holds the bulk of them?

As a Platinum pre merger my upgrades were virtually non-existent. A former SPG property in Seattle would have been happy to upgrade me to a suite if I was happy to gorego my 4:00 pm check-out guarantee. Suites must be vacated by noon! They put me in a standard room requiring 2 different elevators to get to the Lounge.

I was also downgraded at check-in at a Marriott in Puerto Vallarta. Good thing I took a screenshot of my reservation. I was upgraded to an oceanfront suite with a jacuzzi on the deck. After check-in I was given a standard oceanview room.

Access to the lounge & breakfast are all that I am interested in, the rest is just fluff. Some properties are excellent while others dim their lights and travel in the gray area.

Being loyal is not cheap. When it is my dime I would appreciate more consistency.

I was upgraded to PP today. I have 16 stays in the next month and I am not expecting to find anything marginally different from my prior experiences as a Platinum . Maybe I will be surprised.

James
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
We're back to square one in terms of upgrade priority if all plats are PPE now - enjoy the extra 25% elite bonus!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I am guessing there won't be many suite upgrades for anyone other than those who have Suite Night Upgrade Awards. How many millions of those are out there and who holds the bulk of them?

As a Platinum pre merger my upgrades were virtually non-existent. A former SPG property in Seattle would have been happy to upgrade me to a suite if I was happy to gorego my 4:00 pm check-out guarantee. Suites must be vacated by noon! They put me in a standard room requiring 2 different elevators to get to the Lounge.

I was also downgraded at check-in at a Marriott in Puerto Vallarta. Good thing I took a screenshot of my reservation. I was upgraded to an oceanfront suite with a jacuzzi on the deck. After check-in I was given a standard oceanview room.

Access to the lounge & breakfast are all that I am interested in, the rest is just fluff. Some properties are excellent while others dim their lights and travel in the gray area.

Being loyal is not cheap. When it is my dime I would appreciate more consistency.

I was upgraded to PP today. I have 16 stays in the next month and I am not expecting to find anything marginally different from my prior experiences as a Platinum . Maybe I will be surprised.

James
Many reports in the SPG forum that SNAs were denied only to get Plat upgrades when checking in! The system has been built to be opaque meaning no one can see what is happening. There is a secret SNA upgrade inventory that does not match what is shown online. Availability of the same room for the duration of your stay needs to happen. The property or SPG can not manipulate the system, so if everything looks good and it doesn't happen, no one can change it. Success seems to vary greatly with choice of property and time of year having the most influence.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
As a Platinum pre merger my upgrades were virtually non-existent.
Suite upgrades are always YMMV but most of my 2018 stays in full service properties have been in suites. And that's as a Marriott Plat with no SNAs. I wouldn't care about the upgrade benefit if it hadn't been truly meaningful for me in the recent past.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:27 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Suite upgrades are always YMMV but most of my 2018 stays in full service properties have been in suites. And that's as a Marriott Plat with no SNAs. I wouldn't care about the upgrade benefit if it hadn't been truly meaningful for me in the recent past.
i have planned stays mostly in asia (Bandung, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore) so lets see what happens as a PPE.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:46 am

Depends on when you earned it.
Earned it in June 2018, so I assume my PP status will expire on Jan 2020.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Still showing as Platinum. There was a report on Marriott Insiders someone was told the status issues will be fixed tomorrow (Monday), but I think Marriott is just making up dates at this point. They clearly have no clue how to fix all this stuff, let alone a schedule for fixing it.
Originally Posted by tawcan
Earned it in June 2018, so I assume my PP status will expire on Jan 2020.
Yes, assuming they follow their own rules.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel

same here - still showing plat- not PP. Completed plat challenge Sept 2017.
CSR now tells me that I wont be PP until I hit 75 nights this year. I mentioned to her that when I took the Plat challenge in 2017 and I qualified, I would be Plat (75night) through Jan 2019. She checked with several people and said that I was lucky that I was grandfathered in as Plat (50 night) in new program since I am <50 nights right now. While Im close 50, once I combine MR and SPG, Ill be close to 75.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott TE, AC75K

CSR now tells me that I wont be PP until I hit 75 nights this year. I mentioned to her that when I took the Plat challenge in 2017 and I qualified, I would be Plat (75night) through Jan 2019. She checked with several people and said that I was lucky that I was grandfathered in as Plat (50 night) in new program since I am <50 nights right now. While Im close 50, once I combine MR and SPG, Ill be close to 75.
I completed Plat challenge in Oct 2017, which was valid until early 2019. My Marriott status now shows as PPE.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by rowdypfeifer
I completed Plat challenge in Oct 2017, which was valid until early 2019. My Marriott status now shows as PPE.
Did your status update automatically or did you have CSR help? Are you at less than 50 nights in 2018?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Another CSR making things up. If you had Platinum status before the merge you should be PP now. Too many agents try to prove the error correct than trying to correct the error, it's less work for them. If you need the status for an upcoming stay, then try calling in again to find someone that either knows or will find the right people to ask. Otherwise, you can sit tight and see what changes. My accounts seem to change every few days and not always for the better. I am not travelling right now so it doesn't matter yet.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE

Certainly seems like the CSRs are basing their info on anecdotes. I spoke to a Melissa, who told me that they are having migration issues and that this is a known issue. I also inquired about the fact that I am about to hit legacy MR Gold for life which would be like the new Platinum LT status and she said that yes that is what is supposed to happen. The odds of things figuring themselves out are 50/50. To be honest, Marriott needs to honor Legacy to new PP for those that completed the challenge, and they will once these issues are ironed out. I'm still showing as a Plat instead of a PP.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott TE, AC75K

Did your status update automatically or did you have CSR help? Are you at less than 50 nights in 2018?
Updated automatically a couple days ago when everyone else who did the Plat challenge reported theirs being updated. Under 50 nights in 2018 and haven't combined my accounts yet.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:43 pm

CSR now tells me that I won’t be PP until I hit 75 nights this year.
This has been debunked. Plat challenge should get you PP. This has already been fixed for many. We're in the club whose accounts have still not been updated.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
If you need the status for an upcoming stay, then try calling in again to find someone that either knows or will find the right people to ask.
I have not seen a single report, here or on Insiders, of a CSR fixing a status problem. Have you? AFAIK, all the phone agents are empowered to do is tell you to wait (or incorrectly state that you won't get PP "because you don't have 75 nights this year").

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.