Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Scoob72
2. When the new SPG/Marriott changes kick in, will Platinum Elites be able to get free breakfasts in R-C properties? I appreciate that’s not the case now, but I’ve read mixed reports about this from Aug 1st, so just wondered if any FTers knew conclusively?

Many thanks again!
I don't think any of the reports are mixed unless you are talking about the pre-announcement speculation.

From Marriott:

The breakfast offering for Platinum and Platinum Premier members will be expanded to 23 participating brands, including Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, Protea and Moxy, as well as resorts. For certain brands, members will receive free breakfast or an on-property food and beverage credit for breakfast or other dining options.
and from Gary Leff's "Ultimate Guide"

Breakfast. This becomes a choice benefit something you have to give up your check-in amenity for, similar to what Starwood introduced in 2012.

At the same time it rolls out to more brands — Courtyard, AC Hotels, Protea and Moxy — and resorts are no longer excluded. Ritz-Carltons, Editions, Design Hotels, Gaylord Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, and Marriott Executive Apartments don’t have to feed you. Neither does Bulgari, they don’t participate in Marriott Rewards. Ritz-Carltons and Editions are a disappointment here.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:28 am

neo_781 -- many thanks for the clarification. That's extremely useful and very much appreciated.

All the best

Originally Posted by neo_781
I don't think any of the reports are mixed unless you are talking about the pre-announcement speculation.

From Marriott:

and from Gary Leff's "Ultimate Guide"
Old May 7, 2018, 1:10 pm

Qualified for Platinum :-) this past weekend.
And today received an email from SPG for Platinum until March 1, 2019*
Is 2019 the correct date? Seems a bit short? as it will be about 10 months of status.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: SPG+Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by can_travel
Qualified for Platinum :-) this past weekend.
And today received an email from SPG for Platinum until March 1, 2019*
Is 2019 the correct date? Seems a bit short? as it will be about 10 months of status.
I qualified in March and also received an email from SPG stating I was Platinum until March 1, 2019.

What I don't understand is when I qualified, I qualified with Marriott Platinum (which was linked to SPG), and Marriott qualified me until Feb 2020. I expected SPG to qualify me to the same date. Perhaps it doesn't matter now that SPG Rewards is becoming Marriott Rewards.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WorldPalmHand
I qualified in March and also received an email from SPG stating I was Platinum until March 1, 2019.

What I don't understand is when I qualified, I qualified with Marriott Platinum (which was linked to SPG), and Marriott qualified me until Feb 2020. I expected SPG to qualify me to the same date. Perhaps it doesn't matter now that SPG Rewards is becoming Marriott Rewards.
How do you see till when the status is valid for Marriott? I couldn't find it on the website or app. I completed the platinum challenge on 30th April.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
I received an email with my information.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mitchwebb
I received an email with my information.
Mmm I didn't get any email from Marriott. Only got the email from SPG saying I am platinum till 1 Mar 2019.

Can I ask what do you see on the Marriott App? When looking at my account summary it says "9 nights this year" and "renew platinum elite at 75 nights" right below that.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:39 pm

Gold Elite and 53 nights to Platinum
Old May 8, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: SPG+Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mechu
How do you see till when the status is valid for Marriott? I couldn't find it on the website or app. I completed the platinum challenge on 30th April.
I called customer service. I asked if it is posted on their site and they said it is not. We just have to believe what we're told on the phone.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:49 am

should the expiration date be February or March 2020 for the Platinum challenge completed by July 31, 2018 this year?

This is what I was told on the phone prior to registering for this challenge in mid April 2018.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by metoo
should the expiration date be February or March 2020 for the Platinum challenge completed by July 31, 2018 this year?

This is what I was told on the phone prior to registering for this challenge in mid April 2018.
Absolutely yes, I have a written confirmation of that.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:42 am

Once nine qualifying paid stays post to your account during the trial dates your account status will be upgraded to Platinum Elite through January 2020.

mine actually says Jan

Last edited by mitchwebb; May 10, 2018 at 11:43 am Reason: Word missing
Old May 14, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In light of the imminent program change, I am considering a Platinum Challenge from the current Marriott matched SPG Gold status.

Does anyone know whether the challenge must be finished before July 31st prior to program change?

In other words, there is no more Challenge possible once August 1st comes?
Old May 14, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by seat38a
It really does not matter for me anymore since I'm doing the challenge but for those of you guys who still are not sure regarding Gold status obtained via SPG, here is the response I got from Marriott Rewards. This is the second reply. The first reply stated that I would be platinum come August, but I replied back and clarified that I earned my Gold status via SPG and that I'm ONLY Gold with Marriott Rewards because of my earned Gold status with SPG. Quite honestly I'm more confused but I figured I'd share what I was told with the rest of you who are scratching your heads as well. I've removed my name and the agents name from the picture.
This is the opposite of what Marriott is saying now.

I already linked my SPG and Rewards accounts. What will happen to my matched elite status in August?

The current status matching opportunity is tier for tier (e.g. Gold gets Gold, Platinum gets Platinum), even though the qualification requirements and benefits between SPG and Rewards are quite different. Given this, the following Elite status mapping will occur in August (unless a member has also qualified by nights for higher status):

SPG Members

· SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) is status matched to Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) and in August will be Gold Elite (25 nights)

· SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) is status matched to Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

Rewards Members

· Rewards Gold Elite (50 nights) is status matched to SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)

· Rewards Platinum Elite (75 nights) is status matched to SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) and in August will be Platinum Premier Elite (75 nights)
Old May 15, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Yeah, after thinking that it was finally resolved (SPG Gold => Gold Elite) my partner gets an email from Marriott a couple of days ago just like the one posted immediately above (telling her that she will definitely get Platinum till January 2019, even though she is a matched SPG Gold via Amex Plat).

It's a joke that they're still not able to put out a consistent message on this. Someone else just posted an example of a similar email on another thread also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.