Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
Between now and July 31st, I already have 10 stays booked so its a complete win win for me. So, I will have Gold with the current MR benefits during my challenge, and by the time August rolls around and I stay at Marriott / SPG for the second half of the year, I'll be Platinum and really loose nothing from the program changes.
So they confirmed you will only be plat not platp once the program changes?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you complete the status challenge you are a bona fide Marriott Platinum so I would expect you to be switched to Platinum Premier in August, not Platinum. One would hope that the status would be valid throughout 2019, for challenges completed after Jan 2018.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Brooke123
So they confirmed you will only be plat not platp once the program changes?
Didn't get into specifics. All I want is Platinum and that is what I was told I would get.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:26 pm

Can I use the government and military rate to count as a stay for the Platinum challenge?

I just registered today
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: SPG+Marriott Platinum
Mil/Gov rate worked for me to complete the challenge. Whatever special rate or regular rate you use, just make sure you book at Marriott.com.

Last edited by WorldPalmHand; Apr 19, 2018 at 2:35 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
Can I use the government and military rate to count as a stay for the Platinum challenge?

I just registered today
Just reply to the email if you email them to setup the challenge. Mine answered all of my questions via email. I use Auto Club rate to book. I not 100% sure but I think as long as you can book it on Marriott.com its fine.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:23 pm

I called as I didn't receive an answer yet. I was told all rates booked on Marriott.com is fine as long as it is not a travel agent or family rate.

I also confirmed that if I meet challenge by July 31st, Platinum status will end February 2020.

I was told I would not receive an email regarding the challenge.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yurtripper
If you complete the status challenge you are a bona fide Marriott Platinum so I would expect you to be switched to Platinum Premier in August, not Platinum.
Though if completed after August 1, I suspect it'll be just plain Platinum.

Note that those who completed the Marriott challenge prior to August 1 should come out ahead of those who did the SPG challenge.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
I called as I didn't receive an answer yet. I was told all rates booked on Marriott.com is fine as long as it is not a travel agent or family rate.

I also confirmed that if I meet challenge by July 31st, Platinum status will end February 2020.

I was told I would not receive an email regarding the challenge.
Yup, not a bad deal at all. Did you already have some sort of status with MR or SPG? I'm just trying to figure out if they are just giving out the challenge to anyone or to only people who have some sort of status already. I asked by stating that I'm SPG Gold and MR Gold via the crossover and that I'm also Platinum Ambassador with IHG and enquired if they were currently offering a platinum challenge. I heard back 2 days later with a yes and the rules. Since I did everything via email, I have a paper trail which I like
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Though if completed after August 1, I suspect it'll be just plain Platinum.

Note that those who completed the Marriott challenge prior to August 1 should come out ahead of those who did the SPG challenge.
I'm sure Marriott will make a killing if a big chunk of the crying Gold's decide to do the challenge. In my case it worked out really well since in May, I have 10 days booked for a upcoming trip.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:24 am

If I do the Marriott Gold challenge before Aug 1st and get Gold status, I should be switched to Platinum after the merger on Aug 1st? Also, how long is the status good for? Only paid stays are credited? Do Air+Hotel pkg nights counts as stay?
Do you select the start date or is it from Jan-Mar, April-Jun?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Regarding the merger isn't the SPG Gold challenge the easier way to obtain Plat in the new program? Ie. have 9 SPG stays during next three months for SPG Gold and map that to Marriot Plat which then maps to the new Plat when the merger comes. Or am I missing something?

EDIT: Sorry. Found out the answer. Matched statuses will not match to plat but to gold.

Last edited by AnttiV; Apr 19, 2018 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by seat38a
Yup, not a bad deal at all. Did you already have some sort of status with MR or SPG? I'm just trying to figure out if they are just giving out the challenge to anyone or to only people who have some sort of status already. I asked by stating that I'm SPG Gold and MR Gold via the crossover and that I'm also Platinum Ambassador with IHG and enquired if they were currently offering a platinum challenge. I heard back 2 days later with a yes and the rules. Since I did everything via email, I have a paper trail which I like
no status other than SPG gold with credit card with Marriot matching Gold status.

Wished I had known about the Plat challenge before I booked a non refundable Marriott Brussel hotel for 3 consecutive nights.

Hoping that come August 1, 2018 I would receive upgrades suites certificate. BTW, is this based on availability at check in for suites upgrade.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by AnttiV
Regarding the merger isn't the SPG Gold challenge the easier way to obtain Plat in the new program? Ie. have 9 SPG stays during next three months for SPG Gold and map that to Marriot Plat which then maps to the new Plat when the merger comes. Or am I missing something?

EDIT: Sorry. Found out the answer. Matched statuses will not match to plat but to gold.
Where did you read that matched status will not match to Plat? According to FrequentMiler's interview with the VP for Marriott Rewards, they will match to Plat. FM said they checked twice.

Posted in today's thread here:

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...riott-program/

NVM, I found it (go to the 10:30 mark)Why can't Marriott provide a written answer instead of making us hunt for it? I'm sure this is one of the top questions from members.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Apr 19, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:38 pm

This may be a silly question.

Let's say I complete Marriott Gold challenge and obtain the Gold status by August 1 and as I understand it, this will be matched to Marriott Platinum on August 1 until December 31. What happens to the status after December 31? Will I keep the Platinum (unlikely) or Gold ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.