Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I am currently a Gold member and was offered the challenge for Platinum upon completion of 9 stays in 90 days. I had a stay last week which posted today 6/26. (The challenge had started from 6/25) Is there any chance that this will get counted into my challenge as 1 stay? I don't expect it to count but if it does it would be a sweet bonus.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by beckshrules
I am currently a Gold member and was offered the challenge for Platinum upon completion of 9 stays in 90 days. I had a stay last week which posted today 6/26. (The challenge had started from 6/25) Is there any chance that this will get counted into my challenge as 1 stay? I don't expect it to count but if it does it would be a sweet bonus.
Typically it's the date of stat that will count and not date posted. You're right to not expect it to count.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:20 am

Can anyone confirm if I request a challenge in Dec 2017 and completed challenge in Feb 2018, will I have status through Feb 2019 or 2020? (w/o factoring in the fact that the change/merge in programs)
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Redwoodw
Can anyone confirm if I request a challenge in Dec 2017 and completed challenge in Feb 2018, will I have status through Feb 2019 or 2020? (w/o factoring in the fact that the change/merge in programs)
I've read through a fair amount of this thread and believe I've seen a couple of accounts stating if the status is earned in January or February you'll only have it for 12 months.

As an extension of this, however, is it possible to choose any 90 day period or must it be three calendar months (in which case starting in December means ending in February and, therefore, only a year of status)?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by danger
I've read through a fair amount of this thread and believe I've seen a couple of accounts stating if the status is earned in January or February you'll only have it for 12 months.
Yes I believe that's correct.

Originally Posted by danger
As an extension of this, however, is it possible to choose any 90 day period or must it be three calendar months (in which case starting in December means ending in February and, therefore, only a year of status)?
They actually gave me more than 90 days (though I only needed about 60). Challenge period started something like January 20 and ran through the end of April.

They make it pretty clear what the terms are when you call.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Redwoodw
From my understanding you will only get the 12 months so it makes sense to leave it till later in the calendar year (Mar/Apr qualification is ideal). Also, if you qualify later in the year the status is granted till January {current year + 2} rather than February. So I requested a status challenge this April and when I hit it (on my next stay in 2 weeks time) I will get Plat till Jan 2019. I saved the chat transcript just in case. IIRC it's similar to the HH program where you would be status matched until March 2019, whereas those who matched in Jan-Feb 2017 would only get it until 2018 (but at least HH give you the matched status upfront before you complete the challenge).

It seems that they offer you a completion date at the end of the month which is 3 months beyond the date you request it. For example, I requested mid-April and I was granted until July 31. So requesting the challenge earlier in the month is advantageous. This is a relatively minor issue though. If you have trouble putting together 9 stays in 3 months then probably Plat won't be viable long term anyway.

I have a big Asia trip coming up in Feb 2018 so I'll probably need to status match to HH Diamond just beforehand. This is not ideal as I'll only get 12 months but having Diamond would probably be worthwhile (e.g. if I end up staying in Conrad).
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This article from a month ago refers to the SPG challenge allowing up to three night credits for a single night stay. Is Marriott that generous?

And I know it's really not possible but, in light of the merger, would anyone care to speculate whether or not the Marriott Platinum challenge might be available to take up in December (for completion in March 2018)?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, Hyatt Discoverist (ex CC), Marriott Titanium, Miles& More Senator
Registered, but can't see it anywhere?

Called Marriott Rewards in UK and the rep "" registered" me for the platinum challenge requiring 18 night. Doesn't show anywhere on my account though?

Anyone had the same experience? Am I just supposed to trust she did it?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by greatbelgian
Called Marriott Rewards in UK and the rep "" registered" me for the platinum challenge requiring 18 night. Doesn't show anywhere on my account though?

Were you offered a stay challenge?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

That sounds like the SPG Challenge.

The Marriott challenge is 9 stays.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:09 pm

You can always call the Marriott call centre to confirm or reach out to one of the mods in the Inside Rewards. I know for sure that it doesn't show online if you're enrolled in the program.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
I am thinking of jumping ship from Hyatt to SPG/Marriott. I am at ~30 nights with Hyatt and just can't see how I can hit 60 nights by end of the year to requalify as a globalist (Marriott's platinum equivalent).

Unfortunately, I have not stayed with SPG/Marriott before and don't have any status with either programs so I won't be able to sign up for either the gold/platinum challenge since one needs to at least be a silver. Realized I missed the SPG world mastercard Asia Pac promo where you get upgraded to gold after 1 stay which ended a week ago so bummer

Is there any way that one can sign up for the taste of gold/platinum promotion perhaps through a Marriott hotel they are staying at? Wondering how does one get targeted in the first place? I currently have "platinum" status with Hyatt and Hilton if that helps in any way.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
is the amex platinum in your future? i know of one DP where spg gold through amex plat was matched to marriott gold, and then a platinum challenge was requested and approved through marriott. there are many DP's suggesting that this isn't supposed to work. but it sounds like marriott may not know how spg status is acquired well enough to enforce that rule... ymmv, of course
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by mechu
Unfortunately, I have not stayed with SPG/Marriott before and don't have any status with either programs so I won't be able to sign up for either the gold/platinum challenge since one needs to at least be a silver.
SPG and Marriott have separate status challenges. You need to be at least Silver to start the challenge with Marriott. Whereas SPG, you can start as Preferred Guest, which is the membership level you get upon sign up. You can find full details on their website: https://www.spgpromos.com/statuschallenge/
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by stromile
is the amex platinum in your future? i know of one DP where spg gold through amex plat was matched to marriott gold, and then a platinum challenge was requested and approved through marriott. there are many DP's suggesting that this isn't supposed to work. but it sounds like marriott may not know how spg status is acquired well enough to enforce that rule... ymmv, of course
Where I am based (Singapore), only the amex platinum charge card comes with spg gold status and that's invitation only with an annual fee of ~1200 usd. Even if I do qualify at some point, I don't think I will be willing to fork out the annual fee so that's no go...

if only there's a way to apply for the US issued amex platinum charge card as a non resident

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.