Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
They used to use 18 nights (rather than 9 stays). I believe there was a period where the customer actually had a choice (at least, I did by asking the agent nicely).
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mbece
I got the "taste of platinum" challenge last year. By the time I completed the 9 stays, I had exceeded the night stays requirement for qualifying the "normal" way... I know different people have different patterns, but it does seem that Marriott makes it more difficult for people who have longer stays.
I got the challenge last year just before a week long trip to Hong Kong. I ended up changing hotels every night. Rather than viewing it as a hassle I saw it as a way to try several properties. In the end it wasn't that big of a deal, though I suppose it would be for someone traveling with a family (particularly if young children are involved).

So in a week I completed seven of nine [1] required stays, then I had almost three months to get two more stays in. Easy peasy.

[1] do I get creds for the Star Trek reference?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've got a friend who is going to be traveling quite a bit after several years of not doing so. Marriott is one of his options. Is it possible for him to call MRCS & get a Gold challenge? He's got a Marriott # but currently no status. He's considering going with Starwood, but I suggested Marriott. One thing to tip him might be if he gets gold bennies whilst completing the challenge.

Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
You can call and give it a try (ideally, after reservations are in place for the agent to see them).

Reports here suggest most people are getting a challenge that does not give them any benefits while completing it.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by mbece
You can call and give it a try (ideally, after reservations are in place for the agent to see them).

Reports here suggest most people are getting a challenge that does not give them any benefits while completing it.
I read mixed above re: getting bennies while completing the challenge (if one is able to get it).

Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I read mixed above re: getting bennies while completing the challenge (if one is able to get it).

Cheers.
In my opinion it depends who you get on the phone. When they changed it to stays instead of nights I was able to get it with nights. This was at the time that people were reporting that they were only offering stays.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
In my opinion it depends who you get on the phone. When they changed it to stays instead of nights I was able to get it with nights. This was at the time that people were reporting that they were only offering stays.
Yeah, I figure it's going to be dependent on the phone. If it wasn't that my friend is male & I'm female, I'd call pretending to be him like someone else did wrt their boss. Instead I'll try to coach him on what to say.

Cheers.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

I had 4 week long stays (20 nights) booked with Marriott over the next 6 weeks and called to ask for a Plat or even a Gold challenge. The rep I spoke with put me on hold for a while then came back to inform me that all I would be able to get was a Silver challenge of 3 stays. I promptly thanked her for nothing and canceled all my stays!
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ceebee100
I had 4 week long stays (20 nights) booked with Marriott over the next 6 weeks and called to ask for a Plat or even a Gold challenge. The rep I spoke with put me on hold for a while then came back to inform me that all I would be able to get was a Silver challenge of 3 stays. I promptly thanked her for nothing and canceled all my stays!
That seems like it would have been a good time to play agent roulette. The next one you got might have been sane.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ceebee100
Hopefully you canceled it with the agent on the line & said to her, just wanted to thank you for reducing Marriott's revenue/increasing a competitor's

Cheers
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus--Platinum, Marriott--Platinum
Make the most of your travel with MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards

United MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards have come together to create RewardsPlus, a program designed to enhance your travel experience. As a valued MileagePlus Premier Platinum member, you can receive complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status simply by registering today. We appreciate your loyalty and hope you will enjoy all of the great benefits of MileagePlus and Marriott Rewards at destinations worldwide.

--I just received the above from United.advertising instant Gold Status with Marriott. I am not interested, as I am already Platinum with Marriott. but thought one of you other United Platinum folks might like to try to take advantage of it.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

Huge thread already about that from months ago.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've got a friend who is going to be traveling quite a bit after several years of not doing so. Marriott is one of his options. Is it possible for him to call MRCS & get a Gold challenge? He's got a Marriott # but currently no status. He's considering going with Starwood, but I suggested Marriott. One thing to tip him might be if he gets gold bennies whilst completing the challenge.

Cheers.
It was like pulling teeth to get the challenge to gold, and they lady did say that they would only offer a single step up (ie nothing to silver, silver to gold, etc). A possible strategery would be to get the chase credit card for the 15 nights to silver and then try to get an agent who will give him the taste challenge.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM, Ritz/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Platinum Challenge is ON!

Just hung up w Marriott rewards. They give you 90 days to have nine separate stays OR 18 nights, and then you are upgraded from gold to platinum- it was simple to sign up.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by noob23
It was like pulling teeth to get the challenge to gold, and they lady did say that they would only offer a single step up (ie nothing to silver, silver to gold, etc). A possible strategery would be to get the chase credit card for the 15 nights to silver and then try to get an agent who will give him the taste challenge.
I called on Monday pretending to be my friend to sign him up for the megabonus. He's French Canadian (lives in the US now) & his first name formal could be for girl or guy, although the shortened version of it is obviously male. But given his first name the agent just assumed it was female, hence me being able to be him (if you followed that!).

Anyway, while I was getting him registered for the megabonus she said something about he's at x & she could give him an elite night to get him to silver. I asked if he/I could do a gold offer & she said she didn't see that. Since I figured if we took the 1-night to silver that would screw up any chance of getting a gold later, I told her no thanks, just sign him/me up for the megabonus. He'll get to silver on his own pretty soon with upcoming stays/nights, and I figured once he did that & had some more stays booked then I'd call back in & try to get the upgrade to gold.

I did suggest that he get the Marriott Visa because of the 15 nights going towards Gold, Cat 1-5, etc, but (unlike many FTers) he doesn't like to have too many credit cards. I'm going to see him in a week & will walk him through the pros if he decides he can handle one more.

He's like a lot of my friends that travel, that sign up for programs & go for points but don't pay attention to promos, what bennies will get them, etc (which is one reason I don't worry about those who get comp'd status - for every one of those there's one that doesn't pay attention).

Anyway I'm trying to train him; we'll see how it goes. He did give me his account # & log-in info, so I'll log on to his account in the next day or so & see what promos there are/where he's at, so we can set up a strategy for him.

Originally Posted by sockster
Just hung up w Marriott rewards. They give you 90 days to have nine separate stays OR 18 nights, and then you are upgraded from gold to platinum- it was simple to sign up.
Hmm, wonder if that's true with Gold. I need to check w/ my friend to find out his upcoming stays & then, if it does work, time the call to ask when he's got ressies/could hit it. Interesting that they went back to stays OR nights.

Hope your experience wasn't a one-off. I know it wasn't available on Monday when I called pretending to be my friend.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.