Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I thought normally if you ask for the challenge now, you'll get the status that lasts till Feb 2015.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:18 pm

I emailled asking for a challenge and was given a Gold Challenge. From what I see Gold will give me a room upgrade and some sort of free breakfast, is that correct ?

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.

On behalf of Marriott Rewards Guest Services, please allow me to extend an offer to you to conditionally upgrade your status to the Gold Elite level. This new status would be valid through May 31, 2013; however, an updated membership card would not be processed until the following terms have been met.

In order to maintain this status, you must accumulate six separate paid stays beginning with the date the upgrade is processed, through May 31, 2013. This is a one-time offer, and would be effective within 24 to 48 hours of your acceptance of this upgrade offer.

Once you have accumulated six separate paid stays, the Gold Elite status will be extended through February 2014. To retain this status for all of 2014, you would need to stay the qualifying number of nights during 2013. The Silver Elite level requires 10 personal paid nights, the Gold Elite level requires 50 personal paid nights, and the Platinum Elite level requires 75 personal paid nights.

Last edited by flyer4512; Feb 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:33 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mastermc54
I had a quick question. If I complete a platinum status this month, will my status be for this year (expiring early 2014) or will it include all of this year and next year (ending in 2015)?
MR told me 2015, for a challenge I completed in January. But I don't have the card yet.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I emailled asking for a challenge and was given a Gold Challenge. From what I see Gold will give me a room upgrade and some sort of free breakfast, is that correct ?
Room upgrade is subjected to availability. Complimentary breakfast is entitled for stay at full-service Marriott properties, 7days a week, except weekend at US properties. There're some exception though. Check out the terms and conditions page=)

Regards.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Room upgrade is subjected to availability. Complimentary breakfast is entitled for stay at full-service Marriott properties, 7days a week, except weekend at US properties. There're some exception though. Check out the terms and conditions page=)

Regards.
So it's not even as good as Hilton Gold as they give you continental breakfast daily with an option to upgrade to the menu

I have reservations at the TPA (Friday) and Clearwater Beach Marriott ( Sat - Tues) coming up so I guess I'll see what happens, thanks
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
So it's not even as good as Hilton Gold as they give you continental breakfast daily with an option to upgrade to the menu

I have reservations at the TPA (Friday) and Clearwater Beach Marriott ( Sat - Tues) coming up so I guess I'll see what happens, thanks
It depends on your travel pattern.

Hilton Gold get guaranteed for continental brekkie but Marriott Gold get guaranteed Lounge Access at FS properties. Brekkie is guaranteed on weekdays in domestic properties but 7 days internationally. I would take Marriott Gold any day over Hilton Gold because most our travel is international. International lounges are much superior than domestic lounges - the guaranteed access is a very good benefit of Marriott Gold.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
+1, subject to the "resort" disclaimer for brekkie/lounge............

Originally Posted by Happy

Hilton Gold get guaranteed for continental brekkie but Marriott Gold get guaranteed Lounge Access at FS properties. Brekkie is guaranteed on weekdays in domestic properties but 7 days internationally. I would take Marriott Gold any day over Hilton Gold because most our travel is international. International lounges are much superior than domestic lounges - the guaranteed access is a very good benefit of Marriott Gold.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

After I posted I realized I will be there Monday and Tuesday mornings so I should get breakfast those days. I don't think the Marriott Clearwater Beach has a lounge. I can't complain as I'm staying on points and all I did was send an email asking for gold so if I get anything I 'm ahead if not no biggie. Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Is Marriott giving away status too cheaply?

So I've noticed recently that lounges seem to be really busy in the morning, to the point where I don't even try to use them, I just skip or expense my breakfast.

I've also noticed lots of the bloggers have been proposing doing Gold or Platinum status challenges before staying at Marriott properties.

Should Marriott go the way of Starwood and only give status after the challenge is complete? It's somewhat of a downgrade after you spend over 100+ nights at Marriott to compete with these fake elites. And then they let you do a challenge 1 year later again.

I know the staff at some well run properties look at night's stayed when upgrading, but I feel it would be an overall positive to the program to not grant temporary elite status, but rather let it be earned by meeting the challenge.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Feb 2, 2013 at 7:50 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Is Marriott giving away status too cheaply?
Yes.

With that said, I understand why Marriott is doing it. They are buying a few new elites, their loyalty, and the 50+/75+ nights per year that come with it. That is who they are targeting. BUT, they are also getting many who are gaming the system and staying much less.

I think this is much more evident in the NA properties because I perceive that there are a large number of travelers in this group that rarely venture overseas. FWIW, this makes the paltry NA properties' benefits that much more lacking; crowded lounges with Cosco appetizers and aged eggs and cold sausage/bacon, few real upgrades at any given property shared by dozens of elites.

None of the international lounges I have frequented have been overcrowded, Sydney Harbour Marriott being the exception and that was over New Years.

Not that my opinion matters since Marriott makes the rules, but I would limit challenges to one time only.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:45 am

it is clear that benefits for US based PLAT are very weak. I think Marriott should only allow status challenge for GOLD. GOLD and PLAT in the US are very similar anyways.

Last edited by jr1202sr; Feb 2, 2013 at 7:17 am
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:25 am

No new card yet

Should I call?

Has everyone already gotten their new cards?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum,Hertz Pres Circle
Your membership card can be displayed from your smartphone app
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I think this is much more evident in the NA properties because I perceive that there are a large number of travelers in this group that rarely venture overseas. FWIW, this makes the paltry NA properties' benefits that much more lacking; crowded lounges with Cosco appetizers and aged eggs and cold sausage/bacon, few real upgrades at any given property shared by dozens of elites.
Yes and this explanation is exactly me, I've never gone outside of the US and probably won't for many years to come when point inflation will ruin the cache of points I've earned the hard way.

I earned Gold/PLT for the first time in late 2006 after many years of spreading my business around and not getting into the lounge. I was amazed at the quality of the lounges both in the AM & PM across the US.

That lasted less than a year. Overnight, it seemed like they ALL shifted to the Costco bulk model and started giving away status via various means (CC, instant, challenges, rollover, etc).

I predict bottled water will be soon a thing of the past in favor of "filtered" dispensers, I saw I already in a JW SF.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by ordflyboy
Should I call?

Has everyone already gotten their new cards?
No, not everyone has received their new cards. As an example, I have not received my new card, and there are certainly others who have not either. Sure, you COULD call, but that does not mean you SHOULD call. The cards are sent out throughout January and February of each year, and MR says that everyone should have their cards by March 1. Since today is only February 2, it is not exactly panic time yet. If you do not have your card by February 22, then maybe you should call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.