Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by gk17
Definitely looks better than the old version.
Still mighty dull compared to SPG, IMHO.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I also received the new card and like the new design. The older card looked too similar to a MR Silver Elite card.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
Originally Posted by gk17
Definitely looks better than the old version.

very clean, is it all plastic or actually brushed aluminum up top?

actually excited.. hope mine comes before I leave town again
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by drewzilla
very clean, is it all plastic or actually brushed aluminum up top?

actually excited.. hope mine comes before I leave town again
I'm assuming it's plastic....as is my RC Plat card. The only Marriott card I have that is made of actual metal is my Ritz Carlton Rewards credit card.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:27 am

Strange, I also got my 2013 package and it contains the old design (the same design as in the mobile app).
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Unlike airline tickets which can be booked from 3rd party sites and you still earn miles as long as the airlines are paid with real currency (Chase pays airline with its own credit card), hotel chains seem universally make 3rd party prepaid booking not eligible for any credit.

My gut feeling is your stay from redeeming UR points would NOT earn you anything - hotels would treat it as a prepaid stay from Expedia or Priceline or whatever site where you prepaid your hotel stays. Only your incidental spending during your stay would earn anything.

The only time you would earn stay credit and points thru 3rd party booking would be a stay that is paid at the hotel at check out, not something already prepaid (in your case you prepaid Chase with your UR pts, or point redemption, and then Chase paid Marriott with its CC.)

So if you really want to use point redemption but also want to earn stay credit to qualify promotion, the workaround is to redeem Marriott Travel Card if Chase UR reward offers such. Book your stay DIRECTLY on Marriott site. Then pay your stay with the travel card at check out. This stay would then be a qualified stay and earns everything it entitles to. I did this all the time with Citi's TYP redemption - 10K TYP for $100 Marriott Travel Card which while the terms said non-commissionable and not earn stay credit - in all reality and practical purposes, hotels process it as Gift Cards and you earn stay credit and points.
That is the best way to still earn stay credit and points. However, the OP must factor in that if he has a CSP and redeeming UR points for travel is 1 point = 1.2 cents (if my memory serve me correctly). Redeeming for Marriott card is only 1 ur point = 1 cent.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:18 am

Received mine yesterday and it was a surprise since I didn't make it to 75 nights.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by greek2me
Based on my research on this in the past, I believe if I had waited till later in the year to start the challenge the successfully earned status would have been good through Feb 2015. Not at what date they allow the status to go that extra year. But I have some stays coming up and wanted to start it now.
Any idea when is the best time to start the challenge in order to get the status valid till Feb 2015? Thanks a lot.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by DCNatFan
Received mine yesterday and it was a surprise since I didn't make it to 75 nights.
On a similar note, I received my Gold package a couple of days ago. I was a few nights short of 50 so it was a pleasant surprise.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
So I emailed in yesterday asking for the Platinum Challenge (currently Silver), and they only offered me Gold (six stays by the end of April 2013). I'm fairly certain I can meet the requirements for the Platinum Challenge as I have a number of trips coming up (2 nights in LA in Jan, 2 nights in Miami in Feb, and 18 nights in Germany in March). Any suggestions on how to convince Marriott to offer me the Platinum Challenge?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Lily
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
WHAT?!?!? I didn't get mine today. I am calling MR to get some points due to my disappointment.

I will just keep checking the mailbox hourly.
Got mine today. Couldn't get any MR points for waiting a day.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
I haven't received anything yet.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by lily23
So I emailed in yesterday asking for the Platinum Challenge (currently Silver), and they only offered me Gold (six stays by the end of April 2013). I'm fairly certain I can meet the requirements for the Platinum Challenge as I have a number of trips coming up (2 nights in LA in Jan, 2 nights in Miami in Feb, and 18 nights in Germany in March). Any suggestions on how to convince Marriott to offer me the Platinum Challenge?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Lily
Call again. Point out the number of stays already booked. Point out your other elite status.

Flyertalk mantra: hang up and call again. Until you get what you want.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
I also did not hit the number of nights, however if you read the letter from Bill on the inside cover, it saye, even though you were a few nights short of qualifiying we have extended your platinum award another year.

This is greatly appreciated, and yet another reason i stay with marriott. Next year at this time, however Lifetime Platinum awaits!!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by DCNatFan
I was told by the Platinum line that Marriott Corporate looks like last 3 years to determine its renewal.

I got mine today too, I am pretty sure the card was ordered when my total nights was only around 70.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.