Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I've read some get granted status at the beginning of the challenge and some have to complete the challenge. That's where reading the terms will tell you a lot.
I was granted Gold Status immediately - just for the duration of the challenge (Q1 2013). If I complete the challenge (6 stays), I'm then granted Gold status through the rest of that year (February 2014). In order to have Gold from March 2014-Feb 2015, I have to earn it just like everyone else during the 2013 calendar year (50 nights for Gold).
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by spg50BBB
I was granted Gold Status immediately - just for the duration of the challenge (Q1 2013). If I complete the challenge (6 stays), I'm then granted Gold status through the rest of that year (February 2014). In order to have Gold from March 2014-Feb 2015, I have to earn it just like everyone else during the 2013 calendar year (50 nights for Gold).
+1

(my challenge was 1st/Sept to 30th/Nov, also 6 stays)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spg50BBB
Yes, the Gold status is granted immediately when the Challenge is approved. The temporary status would only last till the end of the period, i.e. from the starting month + 3 subsequent month.

I believe if your challenge was to start in 2013, i.e. the duration would be from sometime in Jan + 3 months to complete, the earned status would last thru 2015.

Whiles your challenge started in 2012, then yes, the earned status only lasts thru Feb 2014. For 2015, it would be just like regular qualification.

Hence it is always better to start the Challenge at the 1st quarter of the year to maximize the benefit. Unless one has natural stays in the last month of the year, otherwise it would be better to wait till Jan next year to start the Challenge.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Does this email noted above still work?

[email protected]

I keep getting an error

I know I can use the mailing function on the Marriott website but a few posts above seemed to get better results using email

Cheers
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, CO/Star Platinum/Gold, National Executive Elite
Apologize if this has been post before, or already known by you all. This is such a long thread that I couldn't read it all. But this is what I just learned.

Soft landing: I was platinum last year, but didn't even make gold. I was told by MR that I will only drop on level at a time, so I will be soft-landed to Gold in year 2013.

Platinum Challenge: I asked MR if there is a way for me to get back to Platinum faster. She told me that once my account status drops to Gold, call back and ask for a challenge. Currently I am still Platinum, so the system doesn't allow her to initiate the challenge. The challenge is 9 STAYS in 3 months, no requirements on nights. I told her that I already had a challenge for status match 2 years ago, and she said that was fine. I thought the challenge is supposed to be once in a lifetime, but apparently not. Maybe these are two different types of challenges, and once in lifetime for each?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: US. HH Diamond but chasing Hyatt
I emailed yesterday to ask for a challenge. Noted Silver status, 32 nights in 2012, and PC platinum. Noted that other Sales and Marketing folks at my company all stay at Marriott and that I wanted to begin to stay at the same hotels as them and not the Holiday Inn down the street (all true), and asked for a Platinum Challenge. Was given Gold Challenge, which is OK I guess. I should clear it with no problem.

FYI, upon completion, status was offered to be granted through Feb 2014, not 2015 yet (also fine for me as I should clear Gold organically at some point later this year, but if you're looking for status through 2015, don't challenge this month).
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by CastAStone
I emailed yesterday to ask for a challenge. Noted Silver status, 32 nights in 2012, and PC platinum. Noted that other Sales and Marketing folks at my company all stay at Marriott and that I wanted to begin to stay at the same hotels as them and not the Holiday Inn down the street (all true), and asked for a Platinum Challenge. Was given Gold Challenge, which is OK I guess. I should clear it with no problem.

FYI, upon completion, status was offered to be granted through Feb 2014, not 2015 yet (also fine for me as I should clear Gold organically at some point later this year, but if you're looking for status through 2015, don't challenge this month).
I was granted Plat status challenge today; it will be effective starting tomorrow. Have till 4/30 to do 9 stays to successfully complete, in which case I will keep status rest of elite year (i.e until 2/28/14).
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:55 pm

Hmm, I thought it's supposed valid until 2/28/15? Weird.

Regards.

Originally Posted by greek2me
I was granted Plat status challenge today; it will be effective starting tomorrow. Have till 4/30 to do 9 stays to successfully complete, in which case I will keep status rest of elite year (i.e until 2/28/14).
Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong

Regards.
Sounds like they only do through the end of the current program year thinking you should be able to qualify the old fashion way during the year to get the all of next year benefit. Makes it a waste to do a challenge towards the end of the year.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Based on my research on this in the past, I believe if I had waited till later in the year to start the challenge the successfully earned status would have been good through Feb 2015. Not at what date they allow the status to go that extra year. But I have some stays coming up and wanted to start it now.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:44 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
If I book a hotel stay using my Chase rewards points from the Ultimate Rewards website, will that stay count for this promotion, or is this disqualified as being a non-eligible third party booking or something?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
although very familiar w Chase Visa CCs, your reference to Ultimate Rewards website is unknown, but IMO, the answer to your question is who do you pay, Chase or the hotel itself????????????

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
If I book a hotel stay using my Chase rewards points from the Ultimate Rewards website, will that stay count for this promotion, or is this disqualified as being a non-eligible third party booking or something?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:39 am
Suspended

OP, I would think it unlikely as it seems to be a reward and not a paid stay.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Just received 2013 Platinum package

Love the new platinum card design!

Packet mentions CY elite choice now 400 bonus points per stay in US/CN (not internationally). Don't understand why it's not universal as CYs are usually more expensive overseas than in the US. Why can't they just keep it simple. Also details LT elite status qualifications and confirm rollover nights are a permanent benefit.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
WHAT?!?!? I didn't get mine today. I am calling MR to get some points due to my disappointment.

I will just keep checking the mailbox hourly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.