Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by UGATraveler
Is it only 9 stays for Platinum? I called on August 15th and I was told that because I applied for a Taste of Gold last year and that challenge ended in December of 2011, that "technically" I was not allowed to apply for another challenge until 1 year later, meaning December 2012. But the nice lady on the phone told me she would override that rule for me and manually enroll me in the Platinum Challenge. But she told me it was 12 stays, not 9, between August 15th and November 15th.

I wonder why they're saying different things?

For me it was 9 stays.
For you, I guess it was 12. But, then again supposedly you shouldn't have been eligible for a challenge until Dec. so maybe she gave you a break. But.... 12 stays over 3 months basically means one stay a week give or take. 9 or 12 stays over 3 months I thought is not easy but doable if one hops 3-4 hotels in a week long stay.

Why do they say different things? who knows? Maybe they get commission?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by directcj
For me it was 9 stays.
For you, I guess it was 12. But, then again supposedly you shouldn't have been eligible for a challenge until Dec. so maybe she gave you a break. But.... 12 stays over 3 months basically means one stay a week give or take. 9 or 12 stays over 3 months I thought is not easy but doable if one hops 3-4 hotels in a week long stay.

Why do they say different things? who knows? Maybe they get commission?

I am just thinking, maybe if they tell me different things, I can tell THEM different things.. I can say they told me 9 stays instead of 12... Hell, they can't even keep up with what they say, it may work

"These are not the droids you are looking for.."
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by UGATraveler

I am just thinking, maybe if they tell me different things, I can tell THEM different things.. I can say they told me 9 stays instead of 12... Hell, they can't even keep up with what they say, it may work

"These are not the droids you are looking for.."
I tried to tell them about 18 nights, telling them that 9 stays is hard to do over 3 months.
Used the line - "it means I would have to stay 3x a week per month, and I typically stay 1 week (or 4 nights) per stay. So now you are forcing me to essentially check in, check out and go to a competitor, then check back in..."
Didn't work

Tried... " instead of getting 18 revenue nights for me, you mean I just have to do 9 revenue nights to get Plat?"
Didn't work
Gold would be a bit easier to accomplish for me but I felt that 3 more stays wouldn't be too hard to accomplish as long as I stay with the hotel hopping plan. Then again - can someone convince me that the incremental benefit of Plat over Gold is worth it?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
Oh well.. call in and try to get Platinum, but with no stay on my Marroitt, I was only able to get the Gold Challenge. I'm happy with that for now.

thx guys for the tips. love this site
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
If I tried platinum challenge last september but failed. Can I apply for new challenge this sep. I have some stay in europe this month, if I can get new challenge, I will think about stay in marriott. Otherwise I will my bonus points got from club carlson this summer.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: BMI Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I just tried UK marriot rewards phone number and got offered status match based on competitor stays, do I need to call the US number to get the Platinum challenge? They seem closed today for holidays.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980
If I tried platinum challenge last september but failed. Can I apply for new challenge this sep. I have some stay in europe this month, if I can get new challenge, I will think about stay in marriott. Otherwise I will my bonus points got from club carlson this summer.
According to the rules : No, until January 2013

However, no harm trying, email or call them=)

Regards.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
Hi everyone,

Just in case this is helpful, I have just called the MR line and enrolled in a platinum challenge and can confirm I have to get 9 stays in between tomorrow 5th Sept and Dec 31. Now I just hope my travel plans don't change!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, American Platinum
I recently requested a platinum challenge with Marriott (I currently have platinum at Starwood (over 130 nights this year) and diamond at Hyatt), and was told that to earn any status I had to start from zero. I'm rather astonished. Do they not like money? Anyone else have this problem?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Requested platinum status match this morning, and was given the 9 stay challenge. Have until Dec. 31st to complete the challenge.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ralykam
I recently requested a platinum challenge with Marriott (I currently have platinum at Starwood (over 130 nights this year) and diamond at Hyatt), and was told that to earn any status I had to start from zero. I'm rather astonished. Do they not like money? Anyone else have this problem?
As I wrote earlier, first rep told me it's invitation only but I then asked once again later and was enrolled. So, I guess you just have to do the same - ask until you get it
Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG, Platinum, MR platinum, Hyatt boycotted
Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
As I wrote earlier, first rep told me it's invitation only but I then asked once again later and was enrolled. So, I guess you just have to do the same - ask until you get it
I just called, rep said that I didn't have enough "loyalty" with Marriot yet so she didn't feel comfortable giving me a platinum challege. Do you guys have suggestions on getting a good rep?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
I had a total of one Marriott stay when they issued my Platinum Challenge in early August. I told them the truth: that I just started a new job that requires a lot of travel and I wanted to stay with Marriott.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by gfunk4698844
I just called, rep said that I didn't have enough "loyalty" with Marriot yet so she didn't feel comfortable giving me a platinum challege. Do you guys have suggestions on getting a good rep?
Try calling back to get another rep.
If it still doesn't work maybe try to get 1 stay? Or maybe ask for gold challenge?

Another data point, i only had 1 stay with Marriott when i asked for plat challenge last month . 1st rep gave it to me no problem.
And it was 9 stays like everyone reported as well.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG, Platinum, MR platinum, Hyatt boycotted
Thanks!

Originally Posted by tomy77
Try calling back to get another rep.
If it still doesn't work maybe try to get 1 stay? Or maybe ask for gold challenge?

Another data point, i only had 1 stay with Marriott when i asked for plat challenge last month . 1st rep gave it to me no problem.
And it was 9 stays like everyone reported as well.
Thanks for the advice to call again. Just got plat this AM Now time to start booking. Quick questions--do you guys know if the Marriott CC spend counts toward elite stays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.