Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life, HH Gold, IHG Platinum. Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, United Silver
I recently got the Marriott Visa signature card with a 70000 bonus. I have been sending a screen shot of my Diamond status with HHonors requesting a status match to many of the hotel customer service departments. I was told by Marriott that I could reach Gold by completing 12 stays or Platinum by completing 18 stays. I called on January 30 to register and the representative suggested to call back the beginning of February. She explained that the challenge is for the month of registration and the subsequent 3 months.

I just registered today for the Platinum challenge and have until the end of May to complete the stays. Will also benefit from the Mega promotion at first for two free nights after 5 stays and then for 2000 bonus miles per stay (when I switch to the miles earning option). Wondering is there is an additional bonus for being Platinum status with the miles option. Keep in mind when you request the elite status challenge you are immediately upgraded to the status and have the benefits of the status during the challenge. Nice. If you are not successful meeting the challenge your account reverts back to the previous status.

Looks like a trip to Kauai or the Big Island are in the plan. Have always stayed at a Hilton property. Will be nice to try something different.

Is anyone aware of the best Marriott rate code for Dallas or Addison Texas?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:54 pm

Platinum Challenge timeframe clarification

I just took advantage of the Taste of Platinum Challenge. The way it was explained to me was that you would immediately become platinum and remain platinum for the 3 months following your sign up month. For example; in my case, I signed up February 1, and I will get platinum all of Feb, then for the next 3 months (thru May 31). So essentially I get almost 4 months of benefits and time to get my 18 stays to keep my platinum status. Definitely don't sign up at the end of the month.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Is there a link to sign up for this challenge? Or do I have to call them and ask for it?

So it's normally 8 days for gold and 18 days for platinum?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:07 am

It is usually 12 days for gold and 18 for Platinum.

Also when I called and did mine a few years ago the CSR told me to call about the 2nd or 3rd of the month that way you get that month plus 3 additional months to earn it. It was true for me, my sis and mom.

Just on a side note, if you are close you can book a meeting room for 10 elite nights. My mom was short last year by 8 nights. We booked a meeting space for my daughters bday party. cost was about $150, they let us have access to the pool and the 9 years old thought it was great! (And I didn't have to have them at my house)
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by ljknecht570:17956031
Just on a side note, if you are close you can book a meeting room for 10 elite nights. My mom was short last year by 8 nights. We booked a meeting space for my daughters bday party. cost was about $150, they let us have access to the pool and the 9 years old thought it was great! (And I didn't have to have them at my house)
Just a note, event nights do NOT count toward challenges!!

Only actual stays do..!!
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
Just a note, event nights do NOT count toward challenges!!

Only actual stays do..!!
Sorry--I did not make myself clear on that--Thanks for clarifying
Old Feb 5, 2012, 4:19 pm

each event you book (and this can be a conference room for 1 hour) counts as 10 elite nights.

you can often book these for $100 or so.

it's well worth the investment if you will only be 10--20 short of making the tier status you wish.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life, HH Gold, IHG Platinum. Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by JW6130
I hope Marriott puts a stop to these easy challenges soon, or at least requires a large chunk of nights before granting the desired status. If this "Taste of Gold/Platinum" thing keeps going, everyone will be Gold/Platinum for their yearly vacation.

It will be like flying Delta, where everyone and their baby is on the upgrade list thanks to promotions. I watched a lady try to board a Delta flight a couple weeks ago during First Class boarding by flashing her "Platinum" Amex credit card.

Once the Elite status no longer identifies a truly high-value customer, Marriott will stop assigning undocumented premium benefits to it. If you appreciate the occasional suite upgrade when you go on vacation, you probably agree with me.

(I'm perfectly fine with status matches from Starwood/Hilton. Those are actual high-value customers that Marriott might benefit from courting.)

Or maybe Plat Premier is the new "Platinum"?

JMHO,

JW6130
And how does this hurt you? Do you earn your status on your own or through your employer?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:27 am

I have a question on the challenge. I tried to sign up for one over the weekend and was told that it had to be requested during the normal M-F business hours. Problem is that I started a 4 night stay on Sunday. So I called up first thing Monday morning and was told my Plat challenge would begin Tues. I asked very politely several times if we could retro it to yesterday since I checked in yesterday and last night and tonight would not count to my stay count. She was not as polite in her response that no there was nothing she could do.

My question is will the challenge on view nights that are stayed during the 90 days or will in my situation since I check out within the time frame be credited for 4 nights towards my status on Thursday when I check out? Anyone have any experience with this? Should I call back and ask again?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by gogih
And how does this hurt you? Do you earn your status on your own or through your employer?
+1

The whole point of 'taste of Gold' is to get people to taste what's like to be Gold. It worked on us, and Mr. Nacho made Gold from the challenge and we are definitely prefer Marriott over other brands.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum,Hertz Pres Circle
I completed the taste of gold last year

and I am currently using Marriott for all of my stays. These challenges and promos work because you get used to the perks and most try to keep them by doing mattress runs and MRs. I also completed a FO promo with Delta and I will definitely make Gold this year, perhaps platinum with a few MRs.

I understand freq Flyers who balk at status promos but hotel status? The likelihood of a Platinum/GOLD member being affected by someone who gained status as a result of a promotion is remote.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K2MM, HH Diamond (LT), Mar Plat, Avis First
Just signed up - This is what I was told

Just signed up.

Need 12 days for Gold - 18 nights for Platinum

During the next 90 days, after you sign up, you have to meet the challege stay nights. if you meet the challenge, you remain that level for the rest of the year and the next.

If you not meet the challenge, you revert back to original status, which in my case would be 'member', You will not be allowed to try again until 1 year later.

So I signed up on Feb 9, my first stay is the 13, and I will be checking in as Platinum with all the benefits, bonus points, etc.

This is a great deal.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
As I understand it, you must choose between gold and platinum.

If you stay between 12 and 17 nights, but signed up for a platinum challenge, you do not receive gold status.

Please correct me if this is wrong.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I think Plat challenge is only a one time thing.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ricrawling
I just took advantage of the Taste of Platinum Challenge. The way it was explained to me was that you would immediately become platinum and remain platinum for the 3 months following your sign up month. For example; in my case, I signed up February 1, and I will get platinum all of Feb, then for the next 3 months (thru May 31). So essentially I get almost 4 months of benefits and time to get my 18 stays to keep my platinum status. Definitely don't sign up at the end of the month.
That is exactly how it was explained to me by two individuals at Marriott. So I signed up Feb 1 and will have Feb, March, April May as Platinum. I would require 18 stays to maintain. Gold would be available for 12.
I was told if I make 12 night but not 18 I could probably lobby for Gold status although that was not automatic.
Am staying at a Paris Marriott for five nights with points so figure I have nothing to lose. If you can do this every year you could probably get decent mileage out of the offer if you used it strategically.
I was all gung ho about making Platinum but am a little less enthusiastic because the limited benes at Courtyard and lower suite props.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.