Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
This is also how I enjoyed Starwood platinum status once several years ago. They sent me the card and said all I had to do was stay some low number of nights to keep the status for a year. Actually "enjoyed" is the wrong word. I had two stays that were every bit as disappointing as my gold stays, and haven't spent a night in a Starwood property since.
+1
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, HiltonHonors Silver
Challenge Question

I am presently Silver Elite and for 2012 need 11 nights with rollover factored in to achieve gold. I have not done a challenge previously but had been given a taste of gold without having asked well over a year ago so as far as I can see I am eligible to request a challenge.

Between March and May I have 12 nights planned so I would reach Gold regardless of challenge or not thanks to my rollover nights but I would not reach the required 18 to complete the platinum challenge.

Knowing that I was thinking I would be better served to request the Platinum Challenge and enjoy 90 days of Platinum because I would already be qualifying for Gold over that period regardless.

So a few questions...

As a silver can I request a Platinum Challenge?
Is there anything I am missing with how I thought this out?

Any help would be appreciated, just want to be sure I am not overlooking anything.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Plat, Marriott PP
I don't think you will be comped Platinum durning the challenge, possibly Gold.

Could still be worth it to get the extra points, if you aren't expecting to have anymore Marriott stays in the next year or so that would enable you to achieve Platinum either through a challenge or by getting to 75 nights.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
I've had coworkers get Gold as well. They wouldn't go from silver to Plat challenge.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:47 pm

Any reason to challenge for Gold instead of Platinum?

I've got ~25 nights in Marriotts booked over the next 5 weeks, I want to sign up for a challenge. Is there any reason to NOT do a platinum challenge and just do gold?

Thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
No, the only reason to sign for Gold instead of the Platinum is when you cannot meet the 18 night requirement.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by living near shamu
I've had coworkers get Gold as well. They wouldn't go from silver to Plat challenge.
Marriott was happy to bring me from Silver (12 nights) to Platinum as part of the challenge, but then I already had 18+ days booked within the 3-month time frame.

OP, I think it's doable, and yeah, 90 days as a Plat might be good for your points balance. I would try to reach for the extra 6 nights though, 'cause once you've used the Plat challenge, it will be a while before you can do another one.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:15 am

no. If you can make it, why not go for top tier status.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Depends on your travel patterns. If you will land between 51-75 nights actually stayed, then by going plat you lose those rollover nights to help reach gold next year.

If you don't travel much year in year out than go for plat and enjoy the perks but again the perks don't mean much if you don't do a lot of nights.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold
As a new MR member with only 5 nights so far, can I request a Gold challenge?
I am SPG Gold if that matters/helps.

Is there info on the Marriott web site about the challenges?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:12 pm

I hope Marriott puts a stop to these easy challenges soon, or at least requires a large chunk of nights before granting the desired status. If this "Taste of Gold/Platinum" thing keeps going, everyone will be Gold/Platinum for their yearly vacation.

It will be like flying Delta, where everyone and their baby is on the upgrade list thanks to promotions. I watched a lady try to board a Delta flight a couple weeks ago during First Class boarding by flashing her "Platinum" Amex credit card.

Once the Elite status no longer identifies a truly high-value customer, Marriott will stop assigning undocumented premium benefits to it. If you appreciate the occasional suite upgrade when you go on vacation, you probably agree with me.

(I'm perfectly fine with status matches from Starwood/Hilton. Those are actual high-value customers that Marriott might benefit from courting.)

Or maybe Plat Premier is the new "Platinum"?

JMHO,

JW6130
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
Originally Posted by susiesan
As a new MR member with only 5 nights so far, can I request a Gold challenge?
I'm in the same situation; I just got off the phone with Marriott & received the Gold challenge. The agent said they typically only offer it to prior Golds who didn't re-qualify last year, but it didn't take much convincing from me.

OP-I'd suggest talking to them about why you want to keep your business with MR, but it's hard with the changes to SPG today etc. & see if they make an exception for you.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tryanjordan
I'm in the same situation; I just got off the phone with Marriott & received the Gold challenge. The agent said they typically only offer it to prior Golds who didn't re-qualify last year, but it didn't take much convincing from me.

OP-I'd suggest talking to them about why you want to keep your business with MR, but it's hard with the changes to SPG today etc. & see if they make an exception for you.
They will offer gold or platinum challenges to anyone. If you get an agent who won't, just hang up and call back.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold
What's the best Marriott number to call to initiate a challenge? The main 800 reservation number? Or another one?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
What's the best Marriott number to call to initiate a challenge? The main 800 reservation number? Or another one?
Here you go -

1 801 468 4000 (8:15am - 9:00pm, Monday - Friday,
US Eastern time)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.