Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by msuroo
Not to defend the OP's rant (enjoy Hilton!) - but they do target people for this promotion without being asked. The first time I made gold it was via a targeted challenge (long before I knew about FT).
So they signed you up for that challenge without you asking for it? If that were the case, I think the person would have a legitimate gripe.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by njcommodore
So they signed you up for that challenge without you asking for it? If that were the case, I think the person would have a legitimate gripe.
Yep - I was silver at the time, logged into my account one day to see that it was gold (due to the promotion).
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:53 pm

oops. no post.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Thanks for the info, everybody. Called earlier today and got the easy upgrade to Platinum (I just qualified for Silver when my nights posted last night). I'm already booked into the same Marriott property for 3 solid months anyway, so this means I'll start getting the 50% bonus NOW instead of waiting a couple of months. Awesome!

The MR rep was very nice and took care of it promptly. I called, requested Taste of Platinum and he did some typing and shortly said "Yes, I can do that, please hold on a second..." and within a minute or two I was Platinum. ^^ I'm already a Hilton Gold (thanks to the Visa Signature promo last fall) but I'll be booking Marriotts from here on out!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:26 am
alc

Originally Posted by alc
I am the basic member and just call and enroll the Plt challenge with 18 nights until mid-April.
So, I just log-in to my account and it show I am a Plt now (Thanks again to the group here) Although I know I will have no problem getting my 18 nights before mid-April, but is there a way to track my progress? I have 2 stays that have yet posted to my account before I call, will those be counted as part of my 18 nights?

Also, as you can tell that I am a very new to Marriott Rewards, please allow me ask a newbie question I am currently set my earning to miles for the 50K Miles promo, is that means Plt status doesn't really get me anything more - other than the benefits that apply at the hotel during the stay?

Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
I had been enrolled in the Taste of Gold promotion without my knowledge. When I went to enroll in the Platinum Challenge I was told, "no, you already had one." They would not budge. They finally agreed that I could have a challenge but would not have the status until it was completed. That was a fair compromise but I would have preferred to know I had been auto enrolled so I could have opted out.

TW
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by amitgu
Last year I called Marriott Customer Line for Platinum Challenge and they upgraded me to Platinum (I just made gold and was staying for 2 weeks a month). The Platinum card arrived valid till Feb 2012.

My total nights in 2011 were around 60. Does anyone what my status will be after Feb 2012? Gold till Feb 2013? Since I had like 60 nights in 2011?
The comped status expires in February, and since you only had 60 nights last year you will probably drop to gold. There are lots of reports of people being able to keep status if not making it again, but they have all been plat for 2-3 years before that happens.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by leatherheadiowa
I am considering a challenge but wondered if the room nights that are acrued during a meeting I have coming up will go towards that challenge number. For example if I have 50 room nights in my meeting reservation and my contract with the hotel states that I am the person earning the points and nights, will those count towards my challenge?
Thanks on the front side!
I had a similar situation where I needed to book 3 rooms for a work trip for a total of 15 nights (5 nights per room) , of which one was for me and I am in the middle of a Platinum challenge- I called the MR Platinum customer service to understand what would get credited towards my challenge. The MR rep told me that I would get the points for all the rooms but only credit for nights stayed for one of the three rooms (5 nights total towards the challenge) because they were at the same property at the same time.

If there were two Marriott properties close by where I was at I could have booked rooms at different properties for the same time and would have received credit for the nights at both properties towards the challenge.

Hope that helps
J
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by alc
So, I just log-in to my account and it show I am a Plt now (Thanks again to the group here) Although I know I will have no problem getting my 18 nights before mid-April, but is there a way to track my progress? I have 2 stays that have yet posted to my account before I call, will those be counted as part of my 18 nights?
The only way to track the challenges is to call the MR customer service line.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by nacho
I think Plat challenge is only offered once, could someone verify that's the case?
You can take a gold or platinum challenge once every 12 months. In most situations if you take a challenge, complete it, and then don't stay enough nights to keep the level in the future you could re-take the challenge after you lose the status, because in most (if not all) situations it will be longer than 12 calendar months between when you took the challenges and you can simply re-sign up
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I would be interested in the referral to Marriott but don't want to do it just yet. I wont be staying until approx mid April.

I am an SPG Plat member, so I might investigate whether Marriott might do a status match too . Or do they only offer the challenge for status?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:08 am

I was automatically enrolled in a “Taste of Gold” challenge last year with no notification. (At least none that I noticed, but definitely no email and no temporary card.) I only looked at my Marriott account (toward the end of the promotion period) because I was annoyed with Starwood pushing FaceBook. It would have been very easy to get auto-enrolled and make zero stays.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: WN A-List+ w/CP, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I would be interested in the referral to Marriott but don't want to do it just yet. I wont be staying until approx mid April.

I am an SPG Plat member, so I might investigate whether Marriott might do a status match too . Or do they only offer the challenge for status?
PM'd you on the referral

To answer the second question, I had to switch to Marriott from Hilton last year. I am Hilton Diamond and asked Marriott to match my status and they essentially just offered me that status challenge. They switched me to Plat right away but then I had to stay a certain # of nights. I don't remember if it was as many as 18 in this Taste of Plat challenge or not...for some reason I want to say I only needed to stay 12 nights?? I don't remember the specifics, but I definitely had to do a challenge rather than them just giving it to me. I did think it was nice they made me Plat while I completed the challenge though, rather than making me wait until I was done.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
This is also how I enjoyed Starwood platinum status once several years ago. They sent me the card and said all I had to do was stay some low number of nights to keep the status for a year. Actually "enjoyed" is the wrong word. I had two stays that were every bit as disappointing as my gold stays, and haven't spent a night in a Starwood property since.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:03 pm

I got a random letter one day saying that I was enrolled in the Taste of Gold challenge as well (around November last year) ... this was after I was done travelling for the year and had just two trips (3 and 4 nights) for the rest of the year (versus 3 nights every week). Now that I have started travelling again, does this mean that I can not enroll in the Plat challenge??? I don't think its fair that they randomly sign you up for a challenge and then you can not sign up for another one for a year...
I am planning on calling them to see what they can do about this.. I would have had Plat last year but I needed to switch to SPG for some points for a trip that I had... oh well. We'll see how it goes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.