Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by njcommodore
If the challenge is done now it is through Feb 2013. I'm not sure about Marriott, but many airlines have a cutoff date mid year that after that date you get the status through the following year (thus giving you up to about a year and a half)
Any idea when that mid-year cut off is? I'm thinking of switching to MR so I can build my RR points faster for CP.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: IHG, Choice Hotels, Hyatt -Plat, Hilton, Carlson - Gold, BWR - Diamond, Marriott - Silver
Marriot Rewards Program Taste of Gold/Platinum promotion

Just in case no one knew Marriot Rewards is offering a free 90 upgrade to Gold or Platinum for current Silver Elite members. I saw this promotion online and wanted to share it. You just calll Marriot Rewards elite number 801-468-4000 and tell them you would like to take advantage of this offer. The Gold or Platinum elite level will expire and if you stay 12 (gold) or 18 (platinum) nights during the 90 trial period (till April 30th) you will be able to keep that status for the rest of the calendar year. I took the Platinum level and might or might not make the full 18 stays, but you get more bonus points and other amenities. Gold level also is great with free upgrade, concierge lounge and internet access, late check out. Anyway just wanted to share this promo with all my fellow FTers.

Last edited by malkounis; Jan 16, 2012 at 4:36 pm
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:54 pm

yep

Originally Posted by malkounis
Just in case no one knew Marriot Rewards is offering a free 90 upgrade to Gold or Platinum for current Silver Elite members. I saw this promotion online and wanted to share it. You just calll Marriot Rewards elite number 801-468-4000 and tell them you would like to take advantage of this offer. The Gold or Platinum elite level will expire and if you stay 12 (gold) or 18 (platinum) nights during the 90 trial period (till April 30th) you will be able to keep that status for the rest of the calendar year. I took the Platinum level and might or might not make the full 18 stays, but you get more bonus points and other amenities. Gold level also is great with free upgrade, concierge lounge and internet access, late check out. Anyway just wanted to share this promo with all my fellow FTers.
This is a longstanding promotion also referred to as the gold or platinum challange. You better be sure you can do the full 12 or 18 days required, because you aren't allowed to try again for a year. You also have 90 days from the time you call in to complete the challange, So wait until right before your first stay to register. Like you said they will upgrade your status immediately and add it to any upcoming stays.
If you need to sign up for Marriott rewards, do it through a referral (you both earn 2000 bonus points for your first 5 stays) PM me if you need a referral...I have 4 left.
There is a thread on both these subjects in the marriott hotel program section.
I believe you can do a similar gold status promo for Hilton Honors called "fast track to gold".....IMO Marriott is better.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
my silver is about to expire. can i call in for a challenge from no status?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:31 pm

I am using my free cat 1-4 certificate for a stay in Turkey this May. If I call in late April to register for the Gold/Platinum challenge, would I have perks for my stay in Turkey?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
I am using my free cat 1-4 certificate for a stay in Turkey this May. If I call in late April to register for the Gold/Platinum challenge, would I have perks for my stay in Turkey?
Yup. We did that before our trip to China and enjoyed Plat perks on award stays in various Marriott properties. (Seems a shame to do it for just one stay though...)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by malkounis
What?? I had no idea. We could have easily made platinum. I wish I had known about this earlier. Thanks, malkounis!

Anyone know if you can challenge from gold to platinum, or do you have to be silver?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I think this is better suited for the Marriott forum but I'll leave a redirect in the MB forum for a few days. Thanks for the post.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:00 pm

Is the Taste of Platinum also available to Gold members or only Silver?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by wine_lover
+1 would like to know
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:12 am

Used points to book for 2 nights in mid April and also still have the turkey hotel in mid May.

Would it be best to call early April for the 3 month upgrade to Platinum so I will receive more perks than silver?

Also, don't you continue with silver status with the Marriott rewards credit card?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:07 am

Thanks. Just called and got upgraded to Platinum. Didn't know this existed till now. I can easily make 18 nights in 3 months. So will I be Platinum for this year and next year too (if I complete 18 nights)???
(Wish I was earning points to get the 50% bonus. But my preference is the Miles. Cant pass up the awesome 2000 point promotion for every stay to SOUTHWEST)
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:09 am

good for everyone

It is not limited to silver status...I referred my wife to program and right afterwards signed her up for the Plat challange.
If you are going to sign up from scratch, please PM me for a referral, like I said it will earn us both 2000 bonus points for the first 5 stays (on top of any other promotions)
I would hope that people are signing up for the gold/plat challange in order to complete it. I'm afraid if this were known to the greedy fools on SD they would all sign up just for the free 3 months of status and after a few thousand people do that, marriott might discontinue the challanges.

My wife is in Texas on business, and when she checked in, they asked if she would be attending the Platinum only cocktail party scheduled tonight in their fancy resteraunt....I am getting major brownie points for signing her up for this deal.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by mike2200
Originally Posted by wine_lover
+1 would like to know
Question is if you are currently a Gold can challenge for taste of Platinum and receive the 90 days to accomplish it while being a Platinum??
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I think Plat challenge is only offered once, could someone verify that's the case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.