Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PeakTek78
No idea. I called MR to actually buy my status back for 2012 with 40k points and they told me that I didn't need to as I had been retained at Platinum for 2012 as a recognition of my past loyalty. I doubt that will ever happen again, but it saved me 40k points this year. I didn't ask for it - they just gave it to me.
Well, congrats! ^
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:46 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cwilson830
How did you manage keeping Platinum when you were 29 nights short?
Marriott tends to look at a person's travel over the 3 previous years. And depending on a number of factors will allow persons to keep their current Gold/Plat elite level for another year.

So PeakTek78's situation is not unheard of.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
I have two questions related to Platinum challenge.
1. does corporate rate count?
2. if I signed up for platinum but only have 15 nights during the qualifying period, do I get the gold instead of platinum?

Thanks.
WJ
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jwudbwei
2. if I signed up for platinum but only have 15 nights during the qualifying period, do I get the gold instead of platinum?
1. As long as you get points/credit for the stay, then the stay will count. And most every corp rate will count. (Note it may be possible that some corporations have negociated a rate that excludes getting points, but I've never come across one that didn't.)

2. I'll have to defer to others on this one as I've never dealt with the possibilities around not meeting a challenge. Personally, I would suggest only going with the Plat challenge if you are sure you can make it. If you can't, but know you can make the nights needed for a Gold challenge then just do that. The benefits between Gold and Plat aren't that great and not worth the risk of losing out on getting an elevated elite status.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by DragonMartini
I started a Platinum Challenge a few days ago on the 4th, the day I checked in for a 9-night stay. At check-in, the desk indicated I did not show as Platinum but when I explained I was on a challenge that started that day I was given lounge access. I finally had time to check my on-line profile today and it still shows me as a Silver.

My question, for someone who has had a challenge recently, did your profile show you as Platinum during your challenge? I just need to know whether I need to call in because something has gone haywire.

Thanks in advance.
I thought you have to stay the nights before you get the status, no!?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jwudbwei
I have two questions related to Platinum challenge.
Thanks.
WJ
No, you'd go back to your previous level.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta/Marriott Rewards/HH
- Platinum Challenge

1) Thanks for this thread!!

I have been out of travelling for several years, but found myself as a road warrior once again last year and I concentrated on Hilton for awhile, but I was becoming a bit dissatisfied with the service in some areas so I decided to try Marriott again. Thanks to the great advice on the forum, I gave them a call and in less than 10 minutes, I was granted the Plat. status challenge!

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, Marriott Rewards, SPG, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Does anyone know for sure if platinum/gold challenge is once a year oppurtunity or once in a lifetime?

I have some activity on Marriott Rewards the last four years and have a few upcoming stays later this month, and recently I became Hilton Gold. So I am considering to inquire the gold challenge. I guess I have nothing to loose if upgrade to gold is made instantly so I can enjoy the benefits on the upcoming stays, especially if I can take a new challenge next year.

But gold benefits are maybe not the best on Courtyards in the US?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
I agree

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Marriott tends to look at a person's travel over the 3 previous years. And depending on a number of factors will allow persons to keep their current Gold/Plat elite level for another year.

So PeakTek78's situation is not unheard of.
I have a friend that had maybe one stay a year after he had Plat and they renewed him at that level for a year and even after that only bumped him down to Gold.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by s0479
I have a friend that had maybe one stay a year after he had Plat and they renewed him at that level for a year and even after that only bumped him down to Gold.
Wow, that's surprising.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:41 am

Is there an email that we can contact about this challenge? I prefer not to call.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:53 am

no

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I thought you have to stay the nights before you get the status, no!?
You are granted status when you start the challange, if after 90 days you dont complete it, you go back to your previous level. You have to hit the required days for the specific challange, it's all or nothing, so no gold if you fall short on a plat challange.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:54 am

??

My question is how long does it last? If we complete the Plat challange early this year, how long is it good till?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by wise2u
My question is how long does it last? If we complete the Plat challange early this year, how long is it good till?
If the challenge is done now it is through Feb 2013. I'm not sure about Marriott, but many airlines have a cutoff date mid year that after that date you get the status through the following year (thus giving you up to about a year and a half)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Isn't it time for Marriott to revise their reward tier naming scheme, now that an ounce of gold is now worth more than an ounce of platinum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.