Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by redrock
I completed Gold Challenge Recently and emailed them and asked to be included in PLAT challenge. I was turned down and indicated that that you can only have one. It would be good to hear if you can get that as well.
I think the rule is you can only have one challenge per year. Also they are not obliged to grant you a plat challenge next year.

Of course it is flexible : if they see in you a great revenue potential (road warrior with 200+ nights/year for example) they should be easily convinced to overcome any rule.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: OnePass Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Can confirm this works.

Just called the main Marriott Rewards line and requested the Taste of Platinum. They didn't even ask if I had status at other hotels. All I need to do is complete 18 night by two months.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by leejl01
Can confirm this works.

Just called the main Marriott Rewards line and requested the Taste of Platinum. They didn't even ask if I had status at other hotels. All I need to do is complete 18 night by two months.
Only 2 months? I thought the challenges were 3 months. I have 4 nights next week and 16 for the month of October. Was planning to request the challenge myself to secure platinum, but I would need 3 months instead of 2 (the last week in October would get cut off).

Anyone else only get 2 months?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I got 3. Will get my 12th stay on November 29th. One day before the deadline!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, HY Diamod, MR Gold, PCR Plat
I called to enter Gold Challenge this morning. Do I get temporary gold benefit now? Or after finishing 12 nights?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyfire
I called to enter Gold Challenge this morning. Do I get temporary gold benefit now? Or after finishing 12 nights?
maintenant !
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by vilntrav
I think the rule is you can only have one challenge per year. Also they are not obliged to grant you a plat challenge next year.

Of course it is flexible : if they see in you a great revenue potential (road warrior with 200+ nights/year for example) they should be easily convinced to overcome any rule.
If you had 200+ nights then you wouldn't even need to be in the challenge. The only difference is *when* you actually start the challenge.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: OnePass Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jzgrabik
Only 2 months? I thought the challenges were 3 months. I have 4 nights next week and 16 for the month of October. Was planning to request the challenge myself to secure platinum, but I would need 3 months instead of 2 (the last week in October would get cut off).

Actually my bad. It's 3 months and starts on September 1st. Meaning my stay from 8/29 to 9/3 will count because it gets posted after the 1st. Sorry to freak you out
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:54 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
The sad thing is there's no Hyatt hotels in LAX airport area.
http://elsegundo.summerfieldsuites.h...ield/index.jsp
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC MM / S100K, United MP Silver, Qantas Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold
Platinum Challenge

I e-mailed customer service to ask for an opportunity to try the "Taste of Platinum" challenge and very quickly received the following:

"Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.

On behalf of Marriott Rewards Guest Services, please allow me to extend an offer to you to conditionally upgrade your status to the Platinum Elite level. This registration is pending and your account will be upgraded to Platinum Elite status in 24 to 48 hours.

Once 18 paid nights post to your account during the trial dates, your Platinum Elite level will be extended through February 2012. I apologize that bonus Elite nights from other activities or promotions do not count toward this special offer."

Thanks to FT'ers for pointing this out..

X-g
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:15 pm

Where can I check my progress of Gold Challenge?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: MAR TE ... UA PS
Originally Posted by x-gator
I e-mailed customer service to ask for an opportunity to try the "Taste of Platinum" challenge and very quickly received the following:

"Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.

On behalf of Marriott Rewards Guest Services, please allow me to extend an offer to you to conditionally upgrade your status to the Platinum Elite level. This registration is pending and your account will be upgraded to Platinum Elite status in 24 to 48 hours.

Once 18 paid nights post to your account during the trial dates, your Platinum Elite level will be extended through February 2012. I apologize that bonus Elite nights from other activities or promotions do not count toward this special offer."

Thanks to FT'ers for pointing this out..

X-g

I also started my "Taste of Platinum" week before last. Last week I was given 5-- points as my arrival gift at Grand Ocean resort. We'll see if it really works this weekend at the JW Houston. I noticed that there are several suites still available. Let's see if I get one.

Terry
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by thinze3
I noticed that there are several suites still available. Let's see if I get one.
According to the T&C of room upgrade, suite is not included.

When you check in, well upgrade you to our best-available guest room at no additional charge. Not available for suites and Marriott Vacation Club International. For Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, upgrades from studio to 1- or 2-bedrooms are not guaranteed.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: MAR TE ... UA PS
Originally Posted by flyfire
According to the T&C of room upgrade, suite is not included.

When you check in, we’ll upgrade you to our best-available guest room at no additional charge. Not available for suites and Marriott Vacation Club International. For Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, upgrades from studio to 1- or 2-bedrooms are not guaranteed.
They did offer me a 720sf suite, but I declined because it had two double beds. Instead they gave me a city-view King room two doors down from the suite. It was about as nice as it could get for a guest room. I was happy, as my gift was a two-glass bottle of wine and mixed nuts.

Terry
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:24 pm

Done my 12 nights 1 week ago for the Gold Challenge. Still showing 30 nights to Gold. Wonder if the status will change or if I just have to assume that I am Gold till Feb 2012. Is there anywhere I can check when my Gold expires?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.