Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
But, as you stated that was last June and anecdotal evidence has been that they have considerably tightened up the restrictivenss of same since then.
This seems to be true. I just got off the phone after trying to set up a taste of platinum challenge. I have about a week of upcoming reservations and am planning a lot more in the next few months. They said unequivocally that because I didn't have any stays credited at this point (within the past year?), I cannot sign up.

I thought the rep was pretty rude about it, actually, and am now considering changing next week's stays away from Marriott. I've been with Marriott for at least a decade, and had their credit card and status at various points, just not recently. No need to worry about another plat here!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Is there a specific number to call to request the challenge? Or just 1-800-MARRIOTT will do?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Still no card here and I'm Lifetime Platinum Elite. I just called MR and they had no idea why and the agent indicated that it did not appear that a card was ever ordered. Of course, she didn't know why that happened either since I've met all the qualifications. As a result, she ordered a card for me today and said to wait at least 4 weeks! I wonder how many others who haven't received a card are in the same boat.....
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by romadaro
Still no card here and I'm Lifetime Platinum Elite. I just called MR and they had no idea why and the agent indicated that it did not appear that a card was ever ordered. Of course, she didn't know why that happened either since I've met all the qualifications. As a result, she ordered a card for me today and said to wait at least 4 weeks! I wonder how many others who haven't received a card are in the same boat.....
Is this your first year as a LT Platinum member, or were you LT before?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by USirritated
Is this your first year as a LT Platinum member, or were you LT before?
This is my first year. Ironically, I had 2/3 of the previous requirements (had been in the program 12+ years and had $4m in spending, but only surpassed 1,000 nights at about the same time they lowered the standard to 750). The story of my life.....
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by romadaro
This is my first year. Ironically, I had 2/3 of the previous requirements (had been in the program 12+ years and had $4m in spending, but only surpassed 1,000 nights at about the same time they lowered the standard to 750). The story of my life.....
Well, their story SEEMS to be that they had to wait until you dropped in status in order for the system to generate a LT status and card, but I am not sure that is true, or that it makes that much sense.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
I emailed 3 different Marriott addresses for the Platinum challenge. Got responses of Gold challenge, Silver challenge, and no challenge. Decided to call and was planning on trying 3-5 different times before accepting accepting a Gold challenge. However, on my first attempt, guy started off saying that they usually don't offer Platinum to new members without a lot of history but eventually did offer the Platinum challenge after I said I was Platinum with Starwood.

Waiting on email confirmation and status change to make it official

Called the standard customer support number on the website: 1-801-468-4000

Good luck to anyone else who tries
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:15 am
inY

Asked for a status match (played dumb). Was given option of Gold/Platinum challenge THEN asked for my Marriott Rewards number. Unclear if she already knew it given that the phone system should have passed it on. Gave me three months then rounded up to the end of that month (June 30). Also said I couldn't retry until 12 months after the END of the challenge.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:13 pm

The request for challenge can be a hit or miss from my experience.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Ex. Platnium, 4 MM; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
You are misinformed.

First it is 9 stays, not nights. (Yes, you can complete 9 nights, however, not back to back.

Second, it isn't for two years, it is until the following February.
You can stay at 9 different Marriott properties and each counts as a stay even if it is back-to-back. Actually, you don't need to stay at 9 Marriotts. You can rotate among a few (for discussion purposes let's say 3). As long as your stay is not back-to-back, you are ok and within the rules.

For instance, check-in Monday at the NY Marriott Marquis; checkout Tuesday and check into the Ritz Carlton Battery Park City; check back into the NY Marriott Marquis on Wednesday. Each counts as a separate stay.

Finally, yes, the Platinum challenge can be good for 2 years. If you qualify in January of 2013, you get Platinum status for the remainder of this year as well as 2014 (note, you must requalify in 2014 for Platinum status in 2015). Nonetheless, depending on when you enroll and qualify for the challenge, if done early enoough, you can get the benefits for 2 full years.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
You are misinformed.

First it is 9 stays, not nights. (Yes, you can complete 9 nights, however, not back to back.

Second, it isn't for two years, it is until the following February.
Actually it is not February, but January.

Me and DH both completed Gold Challenge last Dec. His 2013 card said till Feb 2014 while mine said Jan 2014. So I called. They told me both our status end Jan 2014, the Feb on the card was a mistake. Only those qualified the traditional way would be till Feb next year according to the reps (talked to different reps just to make sure what I was told.), everyone's status expires on Jan 31, but Marriott gives one extra month to let all stays posted, cards prepared, etc etc. Hence the Feb comes in play.

Dont know whether it is true or not but multiple reps told me our Golds expire Jan 31 2014. Our sign up methods were different. His via email request mine via phone request - both initially requested for status match (HHonor Gold/ SPG Gold / PC Plat).
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Previous offer of conditional upgrade not eligible?

So I emailed Marriott to apply for this. I have been an elite member of Marriott Rewards since 2000, about 5-6 years of those as a Platinum, with a total of 500+ lifetime nights. Over the last couple years my travel patterns resulted in me staying more at SPG and Hyatt hotels (currently have top tier status in both) and I dropped down to Marriott Gold last year and to Silver as of March 1 of this year. I emailed to see if I can take advantage of the "Taste of Platinum" promotion but I got the following email back. I'm trying to figure out how to decipher this. I'm assuming they're referring to my current offer of buying back Gold status. But does this mean if I don't take advantage of the buyback offer I can request the challenge after April 2? Or does this forever disqualify me from ever taking advantage of a challenge? If so that would mean no former gold or platinum members could ever take advantage of the challenge because they would have had an offer to buy back their status when they were soft-landed.

Dear KevininRI,

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards with your request for an upgrade in Elite status. I apologize that members who have previously had an offer of a conditional upgrade in Elite status are not eligible for another offer.

As one of our valued Elite members, we understand your travel needs vary from year to year and you occasionally might not have the required number of nights to maintain your Elite status. We know how important the Marriott Rewards benefits are to you, so you may buy back your Gold Elite status for 2013 at a reduced cost of 25,000 points. Your status will be valid until February 2014. Please note this point total offer is for a limited time and you must make your decision before 02 April 2013. Thereafter you may buy back your Gold Elite status for 2013 at the standard cost of 40,000 points...
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rexkramer
3 months to complete, but if you start later than the first day of the month you get the remainder of that month, so it can be almost 4. No, you would not lose your current status as a result of failing the challenge.
Thank you!

I called Marriott Rewards yesterday, and it took all of four minutes to get set up. I have the rest of March, plus April, May and June to complete the challenge, which is nine stays. This gives me 3.5 months. I have a four night stay in Hong Kong this coming week, I will change my original four night reservation to four one night reservations at different hotels, and do likewise for a few more stays I have already planned for the next couple of months.

I was told the status would be effective the following day, but when I logged into my account last night around 10pm EST I was already showing as Platinum Elite.

One remaining question: I was in a bit of a hurry when I called, and took down some notes, but I'm not sure I got this right: it seems if I complete the challenge with the nine stays by June 30th, I will have the status for the remainder of 2013 plus all of 2014?

Then, if I want the status during 2015 I will have to stay at least 75 nights during 2014. Is this right?

Background info for those interested in the challenge: I've been silver elite for the last several years, staying between 20 and 30 nights a year at various Marriott properties mostly in the USA, with a few stays in Europe and Asia. I don't know if any of this influenced the decision of granting me the challenge.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Ex. Platnium, 4 MM; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Thank you!

One remaining question: I was in a bit of a hurry when I called, and took down some notes, but I'm not sure I got this right: it seems if I complete the challenge with the nine stays by June 30th, I will have the status for the remainder of 2013 plus all of 2014?

Then, if I want the status during 2015 I will have to stay at least 75 nights during 2014. Is this right?
In regards to the above, that is correct. See my post #773 in this thread.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
In regards to the above, that is correct. See my post #773 in this thread.
Alright, then.

Now, the challenge can be taken once per 12 calendar months, in January 2015 I will lose Platinum status, I wonder if I can call in February 2015 and request the challenge again.

I guess I'll find out in two years!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.