Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum 75, Marriott Platinum Elite
Oh thanks. That really clears things up. All is well. I go for 75 nights...someone else goes for 9!?? Sure. That's kosher. And...he clearly told me that status was good for 2 years! So, again I ask...how does that jive with me striving to give Marriott 75 nights?!! 75!! To me it says...get your lifetime status (to which I am close), and go somewhere who gives a dang!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg93
Oh thanks. That really clears things up. All is well. I go for 75 nights...someone else goes for 9!?? Sure. That's kosher. And...he clearly told me that status was good for 2 years! So, again I ask...how does that jive with me striving to give Marriott 75 nights?!! 75!! To me it says...get your lifetime status (to which I am close), and go somewhere who gives a dang!
Ahhh, life isn't fair my friend. If you can't beat'em, join'em.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
First it is 9 stays, not nights. (Yes, you can complete 9 nights, however, not back to back.
Would staying one night each at 9 different hotels back to back would count as 9 stays?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hilton
Sure would.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg93
This isn't a new feature to the Marriott program. You either do, or don't choose to stay at Marriott.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by BumpedUp
Would staying one night each at 9 different hotels back to back would count as 9 stays?
As I understand it, yes. I haven't tried it yet, but am planning to next month (the challenge, but not 9 nights back to back).

I think it's weird to count stays instead of nights anyway. I have relatively few stays per year, but they are usually 5-20 nights each.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
Loyalty programs are just a way to generate more revenue. Atleast it's not as bad as Hilton, with their instant Gold credit cards and 40k spend to hit Diamond. I always wondered why the Marriott challenge was so easy though. It seems like they should raise it a little bit.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
You are misinformed.

First it is 9 stays, not nights. (Yes, you can complete 9 nights, however, not back to back.

Second, it isn't for two years, it is until the following February.
What's the time limit by which to complete the nine stays?

If you're a silver, start the challenge, but fail to complete it, do you lose silver status?

Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat , HH Diamond , IHG Spire
As a gold member last year I requested and was offered the 9 stay platinum challenge. My total nights last year where 84.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
What's the time limit by which to complete the nine stays?

If you're a silver, start the challenge, but fail to complete it, do you lose silver status?

Thanks.
3 months to complete, but if you start later than the first day of the month you get the remainder of that month, so it can be almost 4. No, you would not lose your current status as a result of failing the challenge.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
FINALLY!

Yesterday, March 5, 2013, I finally received my 2013 Platinum Package with card included. ^
(Yes, I am a bit schizoid about receiving the card [good], but receiving it on March 5 [not so good])
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:14 pm

I received my card today. I also got a little case for holding the toiletries, one of those with a small hanger type. Case is completely black with Marriott name on it. I do like the new card design. But considering how often I will have to pull it out next 12 months, not sure if it matter what the card looks like.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by qazw1
I received my card today. I also got a little case for holding the toiletries, one of those with a small hanger type. Case is completely black with Marriott name on it. I do like the new card design. But considering how often I will have to pull it out next 12 months, not sure if it matter what the card looks like.
Are you Platinum or Platinum Premiere?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by USirritated
Are you Platinum or Platinum Premiere?
Platinum Premier Elite
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by qazw1
Platinum Premier Elite
You should complete your profile, to indicate your programs and status with each. That will make it easier for people to respond to your posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.