Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UCFBen
I've got a Marriott stay starting on April 1st for 7 nights (thru work). I'm currently Gold with Marriott and thinking of asking for a Platinum challenge. I don't want to call on the 1st because I would only get 3 months instead of 4.

Has anyone asked for the challenge in the middle of a stay and had that stay count?
I don't think Marriott will give you a challenge if you already have status. Why would they? You are already loyal...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:33 am

I asked for a Platinum challenge (and got it and met it) last year when I was already Gold.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
In 2011 I did a taste of gold challenge (back when only a certain number of nights were needed instead of stays). I knew I wouldn't be able to get enough nights for platinum so that is why I chose the gold challenge. I achieved that without a problem and was eligible for gold until February, 2012.

In early 2012 I called and asked for a platinum challenge as I was going to a resort location and wanted free access to the spa pool and also because I had an expensive stay coming up and wanted the extra 25% in points. I was told that I was not eligible for another challenge that quickly as I just completed one last year but to hold on so she could see my account. The representative came back on the line and said she would grant me platinum status for the rest of the year. I had a few stays totaling five nights already completed in the first 1.5 months of the year prior to calling but I also had a few stays totaling nine nights over the next two months including six nights at $400/night at a Courtyard in Austin during SXSW. Not sure if that is why she just gave me platinum status but those who think they have started to give away platinum status are not mistaken as they did that for me early last year. However, it worked as I achieved platinum status on my own for this year by doing a few meetings.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by lsumegan
I don't think Marriott will give you a challenge if you already have status. Why would they? You are already loyal...
You can as long as you are not challenging your own status level.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:46 am

I consider this program* to be the biggest reason for the devaluation of the MR program an Plat Benefits. In a Recent Hotel and 6 people were travelling together as first time Platinums. They began talking to the attendant (they clearly didn't know how it worked) and I overheard them asking questions like what was free and what they had to pay for. They were bragging (to the attendant) about how they got this had Not stayed in ANY HOTEL in over year and heard about the perk on Trip Advisor. Of Course they were on the Concierge Floor it appeared as I saw them leave and I was not although I stay at that hotel 15 or so nights a month. Is that fair?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I consider this program* to be the biggest reason for the devaluation of the MR program an Plat Benefits. In a Recent Hotel and 6 people were travelling together as first time Platinums. They began talking to the attendant (they clearly didn't know how it worked) and I overheard them asking questions like what was free and what they had to pay for. They were bragging (to the attendant) about how they got this had Not stayed in ANY HOTEL in over year and heard about the perk on Trip Advisor. Of Course they were on the Concierge Floor it appeared as I saw them leave and I was not although I stay at that hotel 15 or so nights a month. Is that fair?
Is it fair that you get to travel for work with expenses paid the way you do?

Look, whatever MR makes available is fair.

I think the brand is shooting itself in the foot with its incredibly steep nights/year reqs for the elite levels (which only Carlson of all other programs replicate).
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Is it fair that you get to travel for work with expenses paid the way you do? Yes I got a degree, started work the day I graduated and have been at it ever since and own my business. I pay for my rooms out of my own pocket.

Look, whatever MR makes available is fair. So you think if they allowed everyone to be a Plat you would be okay with it? That would be fair to people that 100 nights in marriott hotels?

I think the brand is shooting itself in the foot with its incredibly steep nights/year reqs for the elite levels (which only Carlson of all other programs replicate). I agree
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
I need an interpretor..........

Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:48 am
Suspended

I consider this program* to be the biggest reason for the devaluation of the MR program an Plat Benefits.

In a Recent Hotel and 6 people were travelling together as first time Platinums. They began talking to the attendant (they clearly didn't know how it worked) and I overheard them asking questions like what was free and what they had to pay for. They were bragging (to the attendant) about how they got this had Not stayed in ANY HOTEL in over year and heard about the perk on Trip Advisor. Of Course they were on the Concierge Floor it appeared as I saw them leave and I was not although I stay at that hotel 15 or so nights a month. Is that fair?
If you were to remove the introductory sentence, I could agree with you. As it is, however, you are wrong.

Marriott introduced this change last Spring. The recent devaluation of points is unhinged from minting new Platinum or Gold members since it is impossible for that many new elites to have accumulated so many points in such a short time to necessitate an increase in category levels -- it is just impossible.

Further, since the inception of the new challange method, what diminuition in Platinum benefits have there been? To my mind, there are none.

Removal of CLs being open on weekends occurred several years before this. The story you relate verifies that you were not denied lounge access and you do not state that they took food or drink out of your mouth. Further, you do not know if they were on the Concierge floor, so that perk remains in question. However, Marriott made the business decision to permit the temporary expansion of the elite ranks and they did this to obtain more revenue from people coming in to patronize their hotels and probably to win a Freddies award -- something that they did not win last year in the Americas, if memory serves.

Your linking of the stupid way Marriott has been handing out the challenges has no connection with their decision to devalue all of their members' points

The rest of your story demonstrates how Marriott has been too lax in promoting its challenges but it has no connection whatsoever to what they have just done to all of us except, perhaps in one small way.

See, I could reconcile their expanding the ranks of the elites in order to win a Freddy if they knew well before hand that they were going to seriously devalaue everyone's points by this category jumping. In that way, they may have reasoned that there would be no way they would earn a Freddy from pre-existing members but if more people held elite status and were to vote, perhaps, just perhaps, they would not get clobbered at the Freddies.

The above, however, demonstrates the exact opposite of your premise. The elite expansion may actually have been the result of their knowledge of the impending points devaluation, and not the other way around as you argue above.

I only wish I could take back my vote with respect to the Flyertalk awards.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Feb 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
So in recap, those that don't have status the program is too strict and those that do have status the program is too lenient. Hmmm I since a DYKWIA moment coming on.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:51 am

jr1202sr,

Not only is your rhetoric shaky because the scenario you pose would be commercial suicide to MR but your response also makes it impossible to quote your post in turn.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by RogerD408
So in recap, those that don't have status the program is too strict and those that do have status the program is too lenient.
Can't agree more ^
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
So you're OK with MR handing out Gold status when you wanted it, but not Platinum to others?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
This scares me! I don't mind if there are more Platinum's, but if they give it out to anybody then the CL could turn into a weekday party place for those who are able to get it for free.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by lsumegan
So you're OK with MR handing out Gold status when you wanted it, but not Platinum to others?
what are you talking about? Where did I say this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.