Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Stu71584
I got mine last week. The new Plat card is nice indeed ^
Originally Posted by busyexec331
Mine arrived today, just in time for my first stay tomorrow night. Nice lookin' Plat card!
Do you guys think that the card will work better for upgrades and weekend breakfast coupons because it's prettier?

Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
I just called MR to see that I get Lifetime Plat. status. The CSR stated it has to be done manually by corporate. She sent the request & told me I would get a new card without an expiration date.

Thanks Marriott!
Actually, that kind of makes sense. Thanks Wingtip! ^
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I received Platinum status last year thru a Platinum Challenge in November and my status online was upgraded and still shows Platinum. However I just received my card and it is a Gold Card. What is the best number to call to look into this.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by holocker
I received Platinum status last year thru a Platinum Challenge in November and my status online was upgraded and still shows Platinum. However I just received my card and it is a Gold Card. What is the best number to call to look into this.
MR customer service is where you should call. Since it is frowned upon to post telephone numbers in the threads, just call the Plat rez line and ask for the MR number.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by USirritated
MR customer service is where you should call. Since it is frowned upon to post telephone numbers in the threads, just call the Plat rez line and ask for the MR number.
Ask them to transfer you. I detest the voice prompts for the MR desk.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
I have mine. No, it has no indication of LT status. Yes, it has a 2/14 expiration date. See my note above - unless you call, there's no way to know you've earned LT status, AFAIK.

(I'm answering as I have met the criteria and assume I'm LT PLT)
i don't think they sent you the correct card. My card says LT Plat, and has no expiration date on it....But unlike SKIADCOCK'S, it does not say "good through life" either.

This is not a new card, I have not received a 2013 package as of yet...I don't remember getting one in 2012, either.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
I just called MR to see that I get Lifetime Plat. status. The CSR stated it has to be done manually by corporate. She sent the request & told me I would get a new card without an expiration date.

Thanks Marriott!
To be filed under telephone roulette:

I called MR today, and when the rep came on the phone, I gave my MR number and name, blah, blah, and then I told her why I was calling....
"I am calling to inquire about my LIFETIME PLATINUM card, I was told that for Lifetime status, it is necessary to call to have the LT card issued."

She said, "Well you did not stay any nights in 2012, so you have been downgraded to Silver Elite."

I said, "Why would that be, when I have in excess of the nights and points necessary for LT Plat."

She said "Well you never said anything about LIFETIME status..."

I cut her off and said "Yes, I did, that was the only reason for my call, and I started off the reason for my call using the word LIFETIME, and I said it twice."

She said "I don't know if you have enough nights and points, let me look."

I was getting a bit irritated at this point (since she seemed to be a shoot first, ask questions later type of person) and said "I would think that if the person calling in is Platinum, that you would look at their LT earnings before you tell them they are going down to Silver."

She said "On February 1 the cards will be printed, and when you drop down to Silver, the system will automatically access your history to see if you qualify for LT status, and then that card will be sent instead of a Silver card."

I said "I was told that for LT status, that the LT card needed to be ordered, so that was why I was calling, and also, I know of a lot of people who have already gotten their Plat cards for this year, and even some LT people."

She said "No, nothing needs to be ordered, it will happen on February 1, and then you will have the card four weeks later, but you have to be demoted first."

I said "While I understand what you said, and will go with that, but on a logical basis, what you explained makes absolutely no sense whatsoever."

She said, there is nothing that needs to be done for you, but just to make sure, for whoever looks at your profile, I will add a note that you called asking about LT status, and that you are qualified for that.

At that point I kind of gave up, and just said thank you and hung up.

Oh well.

*Edited slightly for brevity.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC SE
Gold Status Challenge Questions

I've been MR Silver for much of the past 5 years or so (Gold one year), but I didn't travel much in 2012 (only 8 nights at Marriotts), so anticipate that I will be losing it soon. That being said, I'm expecting to be travelling a lot more in 2013, so would like to try to get Gold status this year.

A couple questions:
- I didn't stay enough in 2012 to retain my Silver status, so when does my Silver status expire? Is it Feb 28, 2013 (similiar to most other programs)?
- Does MR generally offer a Gold status challenge at any time if you call up and ask? What is the typical Gold status challenge (e.g. X nights over Y time frame)?
- Would I need to have Silver status already to be able to request a Gold status challenge? Main reason I ask this is that my heavier travel period is likely to be in the Spring (Apr/May) after my current Silver status expires, so if I could request the challenge anytime, I'd prefer to wait until I've got some more travel confirmed. But if I need to have Silver status to request a Gold challenge, am thinking that I'd need to do it now before my Silver status expires.

Any experiences or thoughts?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
really hate living in other countries while having my mailing address back in the USA sometimes; I never get to check my mail for anything interesting. only email...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
This is not a new card, I have not received a 2013 package as of yet...I don't remember getting one in 2012, either.
Please let me/us know when you get your 2013 packet. I'm at 980+ nights, so wasn't LT prior to 2013 - the 2013 card is the only data point I have, and it has an expiration date and no indications.

As we see above, experiences and advice from MR seem to be somewhat random (manually "order" a LT card - really?).

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks for the update- will have to check mail tomorrow (snowing right now so don't want to walk up) but recently completed my challenge too last month.
Seems I didn't make the previous month's mailing. Just returned and sorted thru my mail from the 50th state and discovered my Gold Elite mailer. Good thru Feb 2014, as expected.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I just deleted close to a dozen posts that were nothing more than sniping and responses to sniping. Some of the posts were well-intentioned, asking snipers to stop, but the bottom line is that none of these posts was the least bit helpful to readers trying to learn about Marriott and its program.

Everyone who spends any time here knows that I am an extremely light-fingered moderator. I hate editing and deleting what other people took the time to write. I don't like it when it happens to me -- as it does occasionally in other forums. And suspending people is truly the last thing I ever want to do. But we really must remain civil and helpful here. Personal attacks cannot be tolerated. Please stop on your own, without my needing to take additional action.

Bruce
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
2013 Plat status

I became MR Plat in 2011 .. Had exactly 0 stays in 2012 due to changed project..
Logged into my MR account today and see that it still shows Plat.. As I am away from my home, unable to check and confirm on whether Plat package is received or not..
Question is if the system still shows Plat for me, that means I am Platinum for this year right ? ( All MR updates / downgrades for the past year completed) ?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I became MR Plat in 2011 .. Had exactly 0 stays in 2012 due to changed project..
Logged into my MR account today and see that it still shows Plat.. As I am away from my home, unable to check and confirm on whether Plat package is received or not..
Question is if the system still shows Plat for me, that means I am Platinum for this year right ? ( All MR updates / downgrades for the past year completed) ?
Although I wouldn't get downgraded, my "counter" has not reset...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
No, if you got a plat card then they won't be following it up with PP. You're not "in the club" this year, sorry to say.
So no PLT card so far, so you think I've re-qualified for PP for another year?

Some thing seems drastically wrong with all the near-miss successes reported above. I don't begrudge your achievements but this really dilutes the already very diluted product, specifically concerning upgrades and lounge quantity & quality which has hit a new low IMO (US). And if its happen to FT posters, what about the other 99% of the hotel staying population?

Reminds me of an innocent question I asked in the 3rd grade. "If there are so many poor people in the world, why doesn't the government just print more money and give it to them?" The answer was "then what would motivate the baker to get up at 4 AM to produce the food people needed to buy with that money?"
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Your status extends through February, so regardless of when they reset counters, whether or not they comped/soft landed/anything, you will see Platinum status for another month plus. Don't read anything into what you see right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.