Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mediator
Wiki Link
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 13, 2:32 pm

I only had 37 and still got renewed.
Old Jan 5, 13, 3:22 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Unlike airline tickets which can be booked from 3rd party sites and you still earn miles as long as the airlines are paid with real currency (Chase pays airline with its own credit card), hotel chains seem universally make 3rd party prepaid booking not eligible for any credit.
. . .
So if you really want to use point redemption but also want to earn stay credit to qualify promotion, the workaround is to redeem Marriott Travel Card if Chase UR reward offers such. Book your stay DIRECTLY on Marriott site. Then pay your stay with the travel card at check out. This stay would then be a qualified stay and earns everything it entitles to. I did this all the time with Citi's TYP redemption - 10K TYP for $100 Marriott Travel Card which while the terms said non-commissionable and not earn stay credit - in all reality and practical purposes, hotels process it as Gift Cards and you earn stay credit and points.
Originally Posted by windcloud5 View Post
That is the best way to still earn stay credit and points. However, the OP must factor in that if he has a CSP and redeeming UR points for travel is 1 point = 1.2 cents (if my memory serve me correctly). Redeeming for Marriott card is only 1 ur point = 1 cent.
Thanks for the great advice! That clears up a lot. I always wondered why some travel agents' hotel bookings counted for credit but others' didn't. But the prepaid/post-paid distinction explains it.
Old Jan 5, 13, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by CoupleTraveler View Post
Any idea when is the best time to start the challenge in order to get the status valid till Feb 2015? Thanks a lot.
I do not know for certain, but typically challenges after July 1 would, and perhaps even sooner than that.
Old Jan 5, 13, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Just received 2013 Platinum package

I think I got the best deal. After draconian travel cuts at work last year I was down to 19 nights in 2012. Needless to say but I was very surprised to get my PLT card today. They've earned my loyalty for another year.
Old Jan 5, 13, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by drewzilla View Post
very clean, is it all plastic or actually brushed aluminum up top?

actually excited.. hope mine comes before I leave town again
Sadly all plastic. Just looks brushed up on top but the entire card is plastic.
Old Jan 5, 13, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I also received mine. I stayed 54 nights, but received a PLT card. Since there's no indication of Lifetime status on the card (or the website), and it has an expiration date, it's hard to tell whether I was comped PLT or given it through my LT status.

It does look better than the old card (and better in person than the photo above), but still not very exciting. SPG's LT PLT cards are metal.
Old Jan 5, 13, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windcloud5 View Post
That is the best way to still earn stay credit and points. However, the OP must factor in that if he has a CSP and redeeming UR points for travel is 1 point = 1.2 cents (if my memory serve me correctly). Redeeming for Marriott card is only 1 ur point = 1 cent.
But if OP needs to earn stay credit for his Challenge, then forfeit the 0.2 cent per $ spend might still work out better than a separate, 100% out of pocket payment stay to meet the Challenge. OP should also hunt for LNF rate which if successful would be far more saving than the UR extra 0.2 cent.
Old Jan 5, 13, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat and 1MM, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hertz PC
I have not received anything today. Not sure how they sequence the mailing. But not sure what to do with the platinum card anyway. I never needed nor carried it.
Old Jan 6, 13, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by geclub1 View Post
Call again. Point out the number of stays already booked. Point out your other elite status.

Flyertalk mantra: hang up and call again. Until you get what you want.
Ahh thank you. I wasn't sure that if I called, the rep would simply look at the account and see that I was already offered the gold challenge and would thus not offer me platinum.

In any case, I suppose I have a lazy Sunday tomorrow and will just pester the Marriott call center folks!
Old Jan 6, 13, 1:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
The few things that "stood out" to me where the increase in points for arrival gift at CY to 400 points in US/Canada. As posted earlier, nice - but why not the more expensive international properties? (and seriously, still no points on incidentals at Courtyard?!)

It also has been officially communicated that platinum elites have free access to the "premium" internet service at all the mid-range brands that are now offering tiered internet (don't remember that being "official" before)
Old Jan 6, 13, 2:51 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by groobie View Post
Or turn them into a dress and wear it to the Oscars.
LOL....calling Lady GaGa!

Originally Posted by 9809JD View Post
The few things that "stood out" to me where the increase in points for arrival gift at CY to 400 points in US/Canada. As posted earlier, nice - but why not the more expensive international properties? (and seriously, still no points on incidentals at Courtyard?!)

It also has been officially communicated that platinum elites have free access to the "premium" internet service at all the mid-range brands that are now offering tiered internet (don't remember that being "official" before)
The 400 points for CY is certainly welcome, but are they leaving the other chains at the same welcome gift level? It makes you wonder why they don't increase all or most of them. I always thought it was a bit cheap to only give 200 or 250 points for the other brands, especially where the rates are similar to or only slightly less than FS properties.

I know the answer on the tiered internet. Some of the select service and lower brands started offering the tiered Internet service, and there were complaints to both the properties and to MI, first because it was confusing, especially to elites; second because having two or more levels of connection speed was not officially sanctioned by MI; and third, because the lower tiers were too slow for many Internet sites and for doing business. MI would probably prefer that tiered Internet go away, but for older management and franchise agreements, MI does not have much of a choice, and for future management and franchise agreements, there will probably be a prohibition on tiered Internet service.
Old Jan 6, 13, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
yes, unless and until they notice us otherwise.............

Originally Posted by USirritated View Post
The 400 points for CY is certainly welcome, but are they leaving the other chains at the same welcome gift level?
Old Jan 6, 13, 7:32 am

Programs: EY Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold
Thinking of doing the Gold challenge for some upcoming stays. Seems a bit to good to be true, Gold status upfront. If I do it now, will I be excluded from doing it again in my life/X years, should it not work out?
Old Jan 6, 13, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by 9809JD View Post

Well, I think this is about time. I had to move hotels a few times this past year due to the inability to work with very low to no internet connection.

I can't imagine business travellers dealing with internet issues on a daily basis. I simply notated those locations (on my travel spreadsheet) and did not book them again.

for Marriott for taking steps in the right direction.
Old Jan 6, 13, 8:27 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
Thinking of doing the Gold challenge for some upcoming stays. Seems a bit to good to be true, Gold status upfront. If I do it now, will I be excluded from doing it again in my life/X years, should it not work out?
Hi KLflyerRalph,

From my experience, you cannot ask it again before one year.

I have done it twice, not sure if they would it offer it again.

Search this Thread