Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat , HH Diamond , IHG Spire
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Best time would be July or August. However.... you can't really 'game' it. Having status won't get you upgrades and royal treatment magically. Your number of stays are quite visible to FD folks.

If you are trying to get status to maximize your earnings from weeks and weeks of futures stays, you are doing exactly the program is meant for.
I currently have gold status with 43 nights this year...Should I try for a platinum challenge or just try to make the 75 nights... Don't think Hilton is gonna have a decent Q4 promo so 75 nights is doable.

Marriot gave me the the 25/50,000 megabonus offer.. If I did a challenge, would the offer be affected ?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nycboyz
I currently have gold status with 43 nights this year...Should I try for a platinum challenge or just try to make the 75 nights... Don't think Hilton is gonna have a decent Q4 promo so 75 nights is doable.

Marriot gave me the the 25/50,000 megabonus offer.. If I did a challenge, would the offer be affected ?
Nothing to lose by taking the challenge, your Megabonus will be unaffected. You should be earning quite a few extra points if you do take the challenge, depending on your choice of Platinum arrival gift and rates you pay.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat , HH Diamond , IHG Spire
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Nothing to lose by taking the challenge, your Megabonus will be unaffected. You should be earning quite a few extra points if you do take the challenge, depending on your choice of Platinum arrival gift and rates you pay.
How long will the status last if I make the challenge ? Will it be the same if make 75 nights this year ?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by nycboyz
How long will the status last if I make the challenge ? Will it be the same if make 75 nights this year ?
Yes. I think it will be till Feb. 2014.

Following that if you make 75 this year, it will just complete the requirement for the same period but just with a lot more points since you will have earned an extra 5pts per dollar.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Emailed Hyatt/Marriott for status match/challenges as I am looking away from HH and PC. Very pleased with the offers (esp with Marriott).

Hyatt offered me 12 days in 60 days for diamond til end of Feb 2014. Marriott offered me a challenge of 9 stays through Dec 31st for Plat til end of Feb 2014.

For more context, have about 30 HH stays and 55 IHG nights for the year. Enough to requalify for HH Diamond this year and IHG RA for next year (though likely need 5-10 more nights by next March at IHG).

Which challenge is better? Seems like Marriott is better, but long term maybe Hyatt a better choice as a third program as Marriott is harder to requalify? I have a 2 night stay coming up, with no Marriott properties, so maybe a good way to get 2 nights out of the way if I go Hyatt. If there was a Marriott I'd probably go with Marriott all the way, but none there I might just pass on the Marriott and try next year? Thoughts?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
You'd get a soft landing on Marriott so if you didn't requalify you'd be Gold for 2014, which is most of the benefit of being a Platinum.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DoctorK
You'd get a soft landing on Marriott so if you didn't requalify you'd be Gold for 2014, which is most of the benefit of being a Platinum.
Even on status match?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
I was just offered gold if I stayed 4 times in 3.5 months.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:53 pm

I thought 6stays is needed to complete Gold challenge? Change of rules again?

Regards.

Originally Posted by pooker
I was just offered gold if I stayed 4 times in 3.5 months.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I wouldn't push this issue too much. Technically, you should not have earned any points since YOU were not there. The loyalty program benefits are for YOUR stays and not anyone/everyone you know. Yes, the properties do mess up from time to time and there are tricks you can pull to make it happen more times than not. However, you need to be present to properly earn points/stay.
So fast forward concerning the above issue I mentioned. As I mentioned, I booked the Renaissance Arc De Triumph using points and cash on my MR but I ended up not going and my wife went. This later showed up on my account online as a "hotel stay" and I earned points, although minimal.

Recently I booked a room for my Mother in Atlanta for the weekend using all points on my MR # but after booking, I changed the reservation to her name, still on my MR# though. She was the only one who stayed. THIS one shows up on my account online now as a "hotel stay" but no points.

Do these 2 "stays" count towards my Platinum Challenge?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
what were the conditions of your required # of stays to qualify for the challenge?

as to stay #1 - dependent on your response to above; in any case, since you weren't there, it shouldn't, but have no idea how the hotel coded it upon checkout
as to stay #2 - no; this would not have been a qualifying stay even if you were there

Originally Posted by UGATraveler
So fast forward concerning the above issue I mentioned. As I mentioned, I booked the Renaissance Arc De Triumph using points and cash on my MR but I ended up not going and my wife went. This later showed up on my account online as a "hotel stay" and I earned points, although minimal.

Recently I booked a room for my Mother in Atlanta for the weekend using all points on my MR # but after booking, I changed the reservation to her name, still on my MR# though. She was the only one who stayed. THIS one shows up on my account online now as a "hotel stay" but no points.

Do these 2 "stays" count towards my Platinum Challenge?

Last edited by BKKLEE; Oct 3, 2012 at 5:03 am
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
what were the conditions of your required # of stays to qualify for the challenge?

as to stay #1 - dependent on your response to above; in any case, since you weren't there, it shouldn't, but have no idea how the hotel coded it upon checkout
as to stay #2 - no; this would not have been a qualifying stay even if you were there
Mine was a "manual challenge" meaning the rep on the phone that day signed me up for it even though I was not technically eligible. I have to explain that every time I call, then they can see that I am enrolled.

I was just told 12 stays between Aug 14-Nov 14th.

Since they both show up as a "hotel stay" on my account, just like every standard paid stay, how do I distinguish between the 2? How do they?

I did call after the 1st stay showed up on my account and I asked the rep on the phone to read me out each stay towards my Platinum Challenge he showed since Aug 14th and he did say the Renaissance stay was on there.

Is this another one of those grey areas and it all depends on what Rep I call on what day?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by UGATraveler
Mine was a "manual challenge" meaning the rep on the phone that day signed me up for it even though I was not technically eligible. I have to explain that every time I call, then they can see that I am enrolled.

I was just told 12 stays between Aug 14-Nov 14th.

Since they both show up as a "hotel stay" on my account, just like every standard paid stay, how do I distinguish between the 2? How do they?

I did call after the 1st stay showed up on my account and I asked the rep on the phone to read me out each stay towards my Platinum Challenge he showed since Aug 14th and he did say the Renaissance stay was on there.

Is this another one of those grey areas and it all depends on what Rep I call on what day?
But didn't you say that the Paris stay was a combo of points+cash? It's the cash part that probably qualified it for the hotel stay credit.

But on the mom in ATL part, since that was pure points only it doesn't qualify as a stay for stay credit & wouldn't have even if you had been there, as BKKLEE mentioned.

Cheers.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
I thought 6stays is needed to complete Gold challenge? Change of rules again?

Regards.
It said it was an exclusive offer. It said I had until January 31 to complete it. I would of been gold next year anyways when my credit card nights posted
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Quick Q:
So Platinum is 9 stays, Gold is 6 stays..
If you sign up for the Platinum challenge but doesn't reach there.
but you do stay enough for the Gold level (say you have 7 stays).

do you get Gold? or do you fail miserably and completely.
I.e. if i know I for sure have 7 stays (and most likely no more), should i just sign up for the Gold Challenge instead?

Edit:
I can answer my own question now.. if you miss the Plat challenge, u go back to your original state.. so make sure you can make it if you try for it.. or else try for gold.

For me i got 12 nights coming up, and am going to split it into 9 stays to hit the platinum.
Good way to see some properties/brands in Beijing, Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Shanghai I guess. :P

Last edited by vmsea; Oct 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.