Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:27 am

Platinum Challenge - 5 Nights Needed

I am a gold member currently enrolled in a platinum challenge (April 1 to June 30) and have 13 nights thus far. I travel fairly regularly, but won't have any business travel scheduled for the remainder of the month.

Is it worth it to spend the money for 5 nights to obtain platinum status through Feb 2014? Is there any other way to get credit for "nights" ie. meeting rooms? I live in California so the cheapest rate is a 2 hour drive away. Is there a way to pay for the room without actually being present?

If I don't pay for the additional nights, when is the next time I can do another challenge?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
make it happen. The 25% (gold) vs. 50% (plat) bonus, plus plat checkin bonus is worth it right there. My suggestion would be to make the res, go check in and then after the 5 nights go check out. You don't need to be there during the week. No other way to get eligible nights, meeting "nights" don't count. If you don't finish it, the earliest you will be able to try again is next year (not sure if it's 12 months from now or January, but I think 12 months from now).
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
yes, only the nights actually stayed will count.

however, shouldn't it also depend on whether the OP will cross the plat threshold during the remaining calendar year through natural stay patterns? qualifying through Feb 14 by the challenge of course could free up opportunity to level up in other programs too if OP's travel schedule allows it.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
OP, I guess it comes down to how much is the 5 nights going to cost you? You're checking rather close to the 6/30 deadline.

I would have suggested doing some weekend stays at the cheapest Marriott brand you could find last weekend & this upcoming weekend, along w/ 1 weeknight stay. But if you can't get that, then how much are a mixture of weekend nights next weekend and some weeknight stays this week going to cost? Can you afford it?

In hindsight it would have been better to check sooner rather than close to the deadline.

What Plat gets you is 50% vs 30%, Plat amenity gift, room override & a bit of better success with upgrades. As Gold, you already have exec lounge access.

If you can afford it & plan on staying at Marriotts a lot in '12 & '13, then go for it. If you can't quite afford to do the stays in such a short period of time/$$wise, then stick w/ Gold & wait a year to do it again. I think it's 12-months from when you did the original challenge, although that one I'm not sure.

Cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: status free since 2017
I signed up for a challenge in last week of May, does Marriott email me to let me know when my challenge is successfully completed?

Also, will I have status until 2013 or 2014?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SW A-Pref
Just called the Marriott Rewards main number to ask for Platinum challenege and was given it with a verbal that I am Platinum with IGH Priority Club. 15 seconds later, I was given the challenge with only a 9 stay requirement, not 18. I checked to make sure this was right and that I wasn't being signed up for the "gold" challenge and she confirmed it was the Platinum challenege.

Not sure if this was a fluke for me or if Marriott is reducing their requirement????
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:21 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by hockyis1
...I was given the challenge with only a 9 stay requirement, not 18.
To clarify, a "stay" is all consecutive nights at one hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.

Best Regards,

Drew
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by hockyis1
Just called the Marriott Rewards main number to ask for Platinum challenege and was given it with a verbal that I am Platinum with IGH Priority Club. 15 seconds later, I was given the challenge with only a 9 stay requirement, not 18. I checked to make sure this was right and that I wasn't being signed up for the "gold" challenge and she confirmed it was the Platinum challenege.

Not sure if this was a fluke for me or if Marriott is reducing their requirement????
Do you mean 9 stays or nights? Can make a big difference.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Talking

Originally Posted by stevenr12
hi

I used the marriott 'help' form and asked for a status challenge (plat) but got told they dont offer it and to fax in a copy of my stays from another chain?

Any help?

Thanks!
Call back until you get a CSR who will help you. I was told no and kept trying until I got a yes.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
I had my 18 nights all planned out, mostly as part of two long stays, called this AM to sign up for the challenge was told 9 stays.

Does anyone know if there is an option to hqve 18 nights?

If not, there's no way I will hit this and may instead look at the SPG challenge.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, USAirways Gold
Originally Posted by unrdchi
I had my 18 nights all planned out, mostly as part of two long stays, called this AM to sign up for the challenge was told 9 stays.

If not, there's no way I will hit this and may instead look at the SPG challenge.
I just called to ask for a challenge, since I have a long stay of 16 nights coming up and wouldn't have a problem picking up the remaining 2 nights on other stays. I was told the rules have changed recently and the requirement is 9 stays (not nights) between tomorrow 7/4/12 and 10/31/12. I would easily make platinum before this change, now I'm not so sure. Anyone have any success simply calling back?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by unrdchi

So it sounds like you have the option of changing your booking... Are there multiple properties in the area? Break up you stay into several stays by mattress hopping and getting the 9 stays that way. If there is a SPG property nearby that can work in your favor in giving stays in both programs!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
I was planning on doing the Gold challenge because it would have been too close for comfort to get 18 nights in, but I think I can do 9 stays from Early August - end of November to earn Platinum status. My stays will be one or two nights max so this would benefit me quite a bit.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Gold
Finished the Taste of Gold challenge in June. I received my Gold card today, go thru 2/2014 as promised. Thanks Marriott and Flyertalk!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
think you'll find that MRs will only give you 1 challenge per year so once you choose IMO you're going to be locked into your choice...........

Originally Posted by DoctorK
I was planning on doing the Gold challenge because it would have been too close for comfort to get 18 nights in, but I think I can do 9 stays from Early August - end of November to earn Platinum status. My stays will be one or two nights max so this would benefit me quite a bit.

Last edited by BKKLEE; Jul 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.