Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:11 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
To let others who are looking to get the plat challenge to know the process....
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:14 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
thank you tried search but didnt find those
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Lightbulb Moral Hazard Issues

This thread brings up very clearly an important issue regarding Plat challenges that Marriott has to reconsider.

Assuming that the OP took the challenge with the intention to complete it, then i honestly wish good luck to him/her!! But the fact that ANYONE can take a challenge once a year just to reap the Plat benefits is at least concerning, especially if the bookings are made through OTA.

In my opinion Marriott has to do two simple things to deal with this "moral hazard" issue:

1. Apply Plat benefits only for eligible bookings until the completion of the challenge.

2. Make publicly available only the Gold challenge and allow a Plat challenge only to Gold/Silver elites.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
as pointed out by another FT, that process NEEDS to be seriously reviewed
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post18718998 #4

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
To let others who are looking to get the plat challenge to know the process....
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Another data point - I called in and signed up for the plat challenge, agent said if I do 18 nights before sept 30th, I qualify for plat status for the rest of this year and next year. Then I moved over a 20 night stay starting next week to a CY that's slightly more out of the way.

I just dropped to gold this year and was offered the 40k to keep platinum deal on march, but declined... sure glad I did!

Also, you don't have to call the '801' number earlier, the silver/gold elite customer service line works too.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:25 pm

Smile No status challenge?

Last edited by stevenr12; Aug 31, 2012 at 11:33 am
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:30 pm
Suspended

so, what's the problem?

Originally Posted by stevenr12
hi
I used the marriott 'help' form and asked for a status challenge (plat) but got told they dont offer it and to fax in a copy of my stays from another chain?
Any help?
Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by stevenr12
hi

I used the marriott 'help' form and asked for a status challenge (plat) but got told they dont offer it and to fax in a copy of my stays from another chain?

Any help?
Thanks!
They don't offer you the challenge, and they told you to fax in a copy of your stays from another chain? That's weird.

Why not try sending a PM to Marriott Concierge? They might be able to help you.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:47 pm

I just signed up for the platinum challenge today.. Received some clarification from the very nice CSR that helped me (called the number above).

- I have until 9/30 to stay 18 nights (just as ljknecht570 mentioned, remainder of the month + 3 months)
- Once the 18 nights have been completed, I would keep platinum status for the remainder of 2012 AND 2013 (expires at the end of 2/2014 if I don't re-qualify in 2013)

I confirmed and re-confirmed the second bullet above multiple times and even had her notate my account. I'm not sure if the July 1 date has been moved back (to keep the status for the remainder of the year and the following year), but when I asked she said if I had done the challenge in January, it would be the same. She read word for word the T's & C's on her screen.

Any one have experience keeping their acquired status through the following year having qualified before the July 1 (halfway mark that has been discussed previously)?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by goldenbear
Another data point - I called in and signed up for the plat challenge, agent said if I do 18 nights before sept 30th, I qualify for plat status for the rest of this year and next year. Then I moved over a 20 night stay starting next week to a CY that's slightly more out of the way.

I just dropped to gold this year and was offered the 40k to keep platinum deal on march, but declined... sure glad I did!

Also, you don't have to call the '801' number earlier, the silver/gold elite customer service line works too.
goldenbear, had the same experience as you.. signed up today, I have until sept 30 to complete the 18 nights and if I did, I would be platinum for the remainder of this year AND the following year.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:02 pm
Suspended

actually until the end of Feb 2014..........

Originally Posted by jrmstr33
goldenbear, had the same experience as you.. signed up today, I have until sept 30 to complete the 18 nights and if I did, I would be platinum for the remainder of this year AND the following year.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
actually until the end of Feb 2014..........
Correct, that is only if one doesn't re-qualify in that following year..
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:28 pm

I just signed up today and was told Plat status was only good through the end of this year. Not a big deal as I will only be taking advantage of it this year anyway, but it is interesting that this conflicts with what others are being told.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
I just signed up today and was told Plat status was only good through the end of this year. Not a big deal as I will only be taking advantage of it this year anyway, but it is interesting that this conflicts with what others are being told.
Did you do it by email?

Once 18 paid nights post to your account during the trial dates, your Platinum Elite level will be extended through February 2014. I apologize that bonus Elite nights from other activities or promotions do not count toward this special offer.
See here and here.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
IHG Priority Club Platinum Elite status here. I emailed [email protected] from my personal email late Sunday night asking for a status match and they emailed me back just over 15 hours later. They offered me the challenge for Platinum Elite for 18 paid nights by September 30 with Platinum Elite status through February 2014. I accepted it since I have a lot of vacation travel time this summer and it will be no problem getting the 18 nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.