Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mediator
Wiki Link
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

Old May 23, 12, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by kvmcd View Post
No They wont count. Only paid nights will count towards challenge.
But does the trick of "booking meetings at Marriott hotels to get equivalent nights" count towards the challenge?
Old May 23, 12, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope. Only paid legiimate butt in bed nights.
Old May 23, 12, 5:32 pm

I called this morning and was only offered the taste of gold challenge, I said no thanks, I'll pass. I called back later in the day and was offered the platinum challenge.
Old May 23, 12, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by COOLIO View Post
Thanks again. Hopefully last question, I am guessing you don't get a new card during your challenge time but would if you qualify on your stays during that period?
I actually got sent a new card and have not yet qualified on stays.
Old May 23, 12, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
Oh, OK, thanks Vicki!
Old May 24, 12, 12:10 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
This isn't entirely true. It is true that only nights in which one physically shows up and pays for the night will count towards the challenge (except in the rare event one finds a property willing to treat a ghost check-in as a physical one), but one does not physically have to stay the night at the hotel, nor ever even set foot in the room (mattress run vs butt in bed).
Old May 25, 12, 7:11 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Marriott Plat Challenge on!!

Signed up today.

I have already had 10nights in last 6weeks at Marriott, can I get credit for those? Not a big deal if its not retroactive ... I have 4-5nights per week for next couple of months.

These are corporate bookings so I don't get to use LNF but what are the other perks I can use as a PP (temp PP status during the challenge)? I bet, there wont be any many upgrades especially for a full week stay in midtown New York.

Any tips to a brand new PP? Thanks.
Old May 25, 12, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
if these corporate bookings are made in the corporate name and/or paid directly by the corporation, you're (more then likely) gonna have a problem............

Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
...........These are corporate bookings so I don't get to use LNF but what are the other perks I can use as a PP (temp PP status during the challenge)? I bet, there wont be any many upgrades especially for a full week stay in midtown New York.
Old May 25, 12, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat, WN A
Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post

These are corporate bookings so I don't get to use LNF but what are the other perks I can use as a PP (temp PP status during the challenge)? I bet, there wont be any many upgrades especially for a full week stay in midtown New York.

Any tips to a brand new PP? Thanks.
FYI 1: LNF is a rate guarantee available to all, regardless of status.

FYI 2: You are a "P," not a "PP." It will take you several years and LOTS of money spent to reach PP status. Of course that's little loss, as it currently brings no additional perks beyond a mobile WSJ app subscription.
Old May 27, 12, 2:45 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Bookings are made in my name but paid for the by company so getting LNF doesn't get me a benefit. Moreover, these are made through AMEX booking tool not Marriott website so no LNF.

Lex - Thanks for the knowledge. I didn't know P and PP were different levels. Who are PPs?
Old May 27, 12, 4:30 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lexdevil View Post
brings no additional perks beyond a mobile WSJ app subscription.
Don't forget, one also gets a black card and the double super secret phone number.
Old May 29, 12, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM, Marriott P
Challenge was worth it...

I've been loyal to Hilton for years...and needed to stay at Marriott for some business. Marriott wouldn't match the HH status, but they offered the Platinum challenge -- did that last year and it was well worth it....I balance my stays now between HH and Marriott depending on rates / promotions -- it gives me more flexibility. The 18 stays last year -- gave me status the remaining of last year and all this year. A pretty good deal overall.
Old May 29, 12, 10:05 am

Not eligible for Platinum Challenge

This year, 42 + 16 = 58 nights not at Marriot. 4 + on going 13 nights at Marriot. I would have qualified Platinum by this weekend if I had stayed at Marriot. I like the other hotel's proximity to work. But, now my colleagues are all staying at Marriot so I switched back to Marriot and thought I could do a Plat. Challenge to make up my indiscretion.

Only to find out that I am not eligible, because, I was told, that I participated in a Gold Challenge last year, that I never knew about!!! What???!!!

I was told by their CSR that last Sept. I was sent an email about Taste of Gold, and that was a Gold Challenge that I failed. I dug into my emails and indeed found the Taste of Gold email. It said nothing about "challenge."

I never knew about it, and thus never agreed to participate but I was put on it anyway. Now, I am not eligible to do another challenge. Although the CSR did offer to do a manual challenge for me, I declined because it tastes like BS! I did not stay even one night at Marriot last year after I involuntarily got put on the Taste of Gold thing. So, not only I did not get a taste of gold, all I got is a mouth full of BS.

I called up Marriot's customer service and griped about it and got exactly the same response as the previous CSR. You wronged me, and still no sweets? That is some hospitality business!

Guess which hotel I am going stay at after I check out this weekend?
Old May 29, 12, 10:17 am

Programs: PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Rewards Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Hempstead View Post
the CSR did offer to do a manual challenge for me
So, the CSR offered to make things right, and your response was to come on FlyerTalk and post about how awful Marriott is....

I guess I am not quite sure what else you wanted?
Old May 29, 12, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Hempstead View Post
This year, 42 + 16 = 58 nights not at Marriot. 4 + on going 13 nights at Marriot. I would have qualified Platinum by this weekend if I had stayed at Marriot. I like the other hotel's proximity to work. But, now my colleagues are all staying at Marriot so I switched back to Marriot and thought I could do a Plat. Challenge to make up my indiscretion.

Only to find out that I am not eligible, because, I was told, that I participated in a Gold Challenge last year, that I never knew about!!! What???!!!

I was told by their CSR that last Sept. I was sent an email about Taste of Gold, and that was a Gold Challenge that I failed. I dug into my emails and indeed found the Taste of Gold email. It said nothing about "challenge."

I never knew about it, and thus never agreed to participate but I was put on it anyway. Now, I am not eligible to do another challenge. Although the CSR did offer to do a manual challenge for me, I declined because it tastes like BS! I did not stay even one night at Marriot last year after I involuntarily got put on the Taste of Gold thing. So, not only I did not get a taste of gold, all I got is a mouth full of BS.

I called up Marriot's customer service and griped about it and got exactly the same response as the previous CSR. You wronged me, and still no sweets? That is some hospitality business!

Guess which hotel I am going stay at after I check out this weekend?
Sounds like a sophisticated conspiracy to keep you out of Marriotts until the agent did the unthinkable - actually made it right. You certainly have every right to be pissed about such an atrocity.

Search this Thread