Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by leatherheadiowa
I am considering a challenge but wondered if the room nights that are acrued during a meeting I have coming up will go towards that challenge number. For example if I have 50 room nights in my meeting reservation and my contract with the hotel states that I am the person earning the points and nights, will those count towards my challenge?
Thanks on the front side!
Originally Posted by hard2please
No, the credit card nights do not count, nor do award stays. It has to be PAID stays.
I haven't seen an answer to the first question although the second reply is the closest so - explaining what will and won't count.

I'll ask this one again - do meeting nights count?

Cheers all
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by hard2please
No, the credit card nights do not count, nor do award stays. It has to be PAID stays.
Nor do the days that you get from spending $3000 on your card.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pacotechguy
I just got off the phone with the Elite line. They said the current promotion differs from all previous "Taste of Gold/Platinum" challenges of years past. You can ONLY select Gold if you have less than 25 nights stays in the current period. IF you have more than 25 nights stay; but less than 50 (gold level) you will be eligible for the Platinum Challenge. If you are current Gold member; you are also eligible for the Platinum challenge. I qualified for the Gold challenge and was automatically enrolled; and was told there was no way for me to change to the Platinum challenge; since I have only stayed 19 nights this period so far.

Hope that helps some other people not have to wait on hold for 20 minutes for nothing!
This wasn't true in my case. I called a few days ago and asked to join the platinum challenge. Even though I currently wasn't even silver (I only had 8 nights) I was signed up for the challenge. The next day I was platinum.

She told me I'd have until June 30th to complete 18 nights. And even though it took a day for the platinum status to hit, she also assured me that I would be credited for the night before the status took effect (I started a stay the same night I called to get the challenge) since those nights would all post after my stay was complete -- well after the challenge had started.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:44 pm

Programs: SPG, MR, Mileage Plus, SkyMiles
73 Night stay soon. Want to maximize points

Please Help!

I still have an active MR account from a few years ago, but am reduced to Member status.

I will soon be staying in Shanghai for 73 nights (mid-April to end of June) and want to know the best combination of challenges, credit cards, etc to get me the maximum rewards for my stay. Company has a negotiated rate with JW Marriott for a corporate suite so my choice is made for me. Haven't actually booked yet though, wanted to make sure I signed up for the right promotions first.

I am Platinum in SPG so I plan on calling and doing the Taste of Platinum Challenge at a minimum, but wanted to know the best credit cards and promotions to take advantage of the multipliers.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by gillow
Please Help!

I still have an active MR account from a few years ago, but am reduced to Member status.

I will soon be staying in Shanghai for 73 nights (mid-April to end of June) and want to know the best combination of challenges, credit cards, etc to get me the maximum rewards for my stay. Company has a negotiated rate with JW Marriott for a corporate suite so my choice is made for me. Haven't actually booked yet though, wanted to make sure I signed up for the right promotions first.

I am Platinum in SPG so I plan on calling and doing the Taste of Platinum Challenge at a minimum, but wanted to know the best credit cards and promotions to take advantage of the multipliers.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Taste of Platinum will get you the Platinum bonus on all points earned during your stay in Shanghai. Having the Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature (and paying your hotel bill with it) will get you 5x MR points per dollar spent at the Marriott. So you will get a base 10pts/$, plus Platinum 50% bonus = 5pts/$, plus Chase card bonus = 5pts/$ for a total of 20 Marriott Reward points per dollar spent at the hotel.

You will also want to sign up for the MegaBonus, although the Spring MegaBonus only runs through April 30th, so you may not have enough nights before April 30th to get the benefit of it. The standard Spring MegaBonus offer is a free night (Category 1-4) per 2 stays, while the alternative offer (that you can get by calling in and requesting it) is free bonus points after 15 or more nights. So if you can get 15 nights before April 30th, you can probably benefit from the Spring MegaBonus; if not, just be sure to sign up for the Summer one when it comes out. You could also book a cheap local room for a 1-night stay prior to leaving for Shanghai in order to get a free night certificate under the standard MegaBonus offer.

Note: There is a 70k points offer for the Chase Marriott Rewards card, which is better than the standard 50k offer. There is discussion of this offer in the MilesBuzz forum.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
I just called MR this morning and inquired about the Taste of Platinum Challenge, I said I found out about it reading a forum and that I have never seen an email or promotion notification for it.

They upgraded me to Platinum (effective tomorrow) and said I have just over 3 months to complete 18 nights. Ironically enough in 14 nights I will be Platinum anyhow.

So this just gets me there quicker. ^
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:39 pm

I just switched to Marriott from Hilton. Spent 8 nights, called the rewards number and I was upgraded to platinum as long as I could spend 18 nights by the end of July. I've got 14 days already booked in the next 2 months. Thanks FT!!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Marriott LTE, Hilton Diamond
I just called and requested the Platinum Challenge. I need to stay 18 nights by the end of July to obtain the status for the rest of the year. As such, even if I miss it, I should be Plat by the end of the year. 52 nights so far this year with more travel coming.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:11 am

Question status challenge : 2 rooms= x2 nights?

Hi

I wanted to do a status challenge. I need to stay for 12 nights but with 2 rooms, if I book each room separately with the same marriott reward number will my nights stay be 24 instead of just 12?

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No it will be 12
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
While VickiSoCal answered your question, note that you could still get points for both rooms as Marriott will let you acrue points for upto 3 rooms per night (but receive night/stay credit for 1 per night.)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: SPG Plat US G Delta G
Does anyone know at what point Marriott "rolls over" the status period? So if I call today, and complete the Plat challenge I have it until 02/13. At what point during the current year does that move to 02/14?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:30 pm

thanks!

Also, say I complete a challenge in july/august, when will my new gold status be valid till?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:36 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

If you achieve Gold through a challenge in July/August, the status will be valid through the rest of this year, as well as all of 2013.

Best Regards,

Drew
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by samlev01
I just called and requested the Platinum Challenge. I need to stay 18 nights by the end of July to obtain the status for the rest of the year. As such, even if I miss it, I should be Plat by the end of the year. 52 nights so far this year with more travel coming.
Exactly my thoughts. I had 58 nights when I got promoted with the challenge... Either way I make it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.