Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by davenull

Will I run into any issues if I bounce between hotels to get 3 stays back-to-back out of 1 trip to meet the challenge?
If you check out of hotel A after night 1 and stay at hotel B for night 2 you can go back to Hotel A for night 3. Checking out of hotel A in the morning and back in that night will probably not yield an additional stay.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Platinum Challenge

I have a strategy question for you to try to maximize the time I have for the challenge. I have a stay in London beginning on 1 April. I'd like to start the clock for the promotion that day, as well as receive the Plat benefits, but it appears that the status update is an overnight. If I call in on 31 March before my flight leaves, will they show that I started the challenge in March (even though it might not hit the system until April)? Will the fact that it is a Saturday leading into a Sunday throw a wrench into the works? Will I be able to have my cake and eat it too? Or should I just suck it up and sign up now?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:25 pm

I am gold- called today and requested Platinum challenge- told would be effective tomorrow and I needed to do 18 nights by 6/30/2012.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:05 am

Signed up for Marriott Rewards today, no history at all. Have HH Gold, so was offered the Gold challenge. No way I'd stay enough nights to keep Platinum anyway. Doubt I'll make it for Gold, but it's possible.

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by njcommodore
If you check out of hotel A after night 1 and stay at hotel B for night 2 you can go back to Hotel A for night 3. Checking out of hotel A in the morning and back in that night will probably not yield an additional stay.
+1

A stay = number of consecutive nights stay in the same hotel. So if you want to generate more stays, then you need to spend the next night in another hotel.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by UALinUT
I have a strategy question for you to try to maximize the time I have for the challenge. I have a stay in London beginning on 1 April. I'd like to start the clock for the promotion that day, as well as receive the Plat benefits, but it appears that the status update is an overnight. If I call in on 31 March before my flight leaves, will they show that I started the challenge in March (even though it might not hit the system until April)? Will the fact that it is a Saturday leading into a Sunday throw a wrench into the works? Will I be able to have my cake and eat it too? Or should I just suck it up and sign up now?
I wouldn't chance it. If it takes an extra day for it to hit the system not only will you not get the plat amenity at checkin, but you run the risk of that stay not counting.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I wouldn't chance it. If it takes an extra day for it to hit the system not only will you not get the plat amenity at checkin, but you run the risk of that stay not counting.
Plus IME the hotel processes upgrades 1-2 days in advance, so you might want to call a couple of days before if you don't want to miss out on an upgrade or at least a nice room location.

When I did the challenge last year I requested it via email. It took a day for them to respond with the terms of the offer that I had to accept, but my account reflected the change less than 2 hours after I responded accepting the terms.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta - Silver
Marriott Referral

I'm a member right now (enrolled yesterday), but with this 2000 point bonus, I'd be willing to re-enroll under a different account.

Does anyone have a referral that I could use? I have 8 Marriott nights coming up, and figured I'd try to make the most of my stay.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
A great promotion that I've taken advantage of, and best of all, it's not limited to one per lifetime
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:50 pm

I called the rewards line to try and sign up, and I've now been on hold for 1 hour and 5 minutes. Is this normal on a Friday?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft531
I called the rewards line to try and sign up, and I've now been on hold for 1 hour and 5 minutes. Is this normal on a Friday?

I called Gold Line once and I had to wait about 20 minutes before someone picked up the phone.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Hmm

I just made some reservations for later this week near LAX and BUR and noticed that they're showing me as Gold Elite...and I was sure I was still silver. Turns out I need 11 more nights to reach gold...which I might maybe possibly hit by 30April.

But I never made the call....and was never informed that I was going to be upped to Gold. Do they sometimes enroll people without notification?

Hmm...seems I'm registered for it, and it says "stay 6 times between April 1 and June 30" Piffle. 2 stays this week, feh. But at least it gives me 4 more nights towards the 11 I need for gold next year....plus 4 nights coming up in April. And it does get me another free night in the MegaBonus challenge.

I really should be more aware of what's happening with this account as much as I am with my AS account. :/

Last edited by 98103; Mar 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: QFF Platinum (OWE) VA Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
I called Gold Line once and I had to wait about 20 minutes before someone picked up the phone.
Does this apply to Ritz Carlton rewards??

Can challenge request be done via email?

I am in London and don't fancy the huge phone bill
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Kefci2000
Yes
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kefci2000
Does this apply to Ritz Carlton rewards??

I am in London and don't fancy the huge phone bill
You can also call the toll free no. for UK, but personally I like to communicate through e-mail because you can get a proof that you are signed up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.