Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:34 am

I'm in the worst situation

I completed platinum SC in January. I got a status valid through 2019/01. No problem cause by the classic t&c, in 2019 I will be a gold member and still have lounge access benefit.

Also, I got an email from Marriott customer center,

"Your account is currently Platinum Elite status through January 2019. Based on current information, your account will reach Platinum Premier Elite status in August and be downgraded to Platinum Elite status in 2019 if you do not reach the stay requirements prior to December 31, 2018. After the August changes, the benefits available will be according to the new Elite benefit chart."

But now Marriott says members who get platinum status by promo will be platinum. Not pp! By their "new guideline, my status will be platinum, and I will be a gold member next year which has nearly no benefits - no lounge access, no breakfast, no guaranteed late checkout.

My whole year, 2019, is stolen by Marriott! I believed Marriott customer center, SPGLurker so I did not made any QS run to renew SPG plat by 25qs when I was on my winter and summer vacation. Now, it is nearly September, I don't have enough time to fullfil the hurdles to renew my status.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
In the same spot as well. Completed Platinum challenge and still showing Platinum post merger. Hoping this is an error.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Marriott Titanium, KF Gold
Originally Posted by Lemocan
But now Marriott says members who get platinum status by promo will be platinum. Not pp!
Where did you get this information?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Just show some patience everyone. If you still don't have PP by September and there's no communication, THEN I'd call in to ask and inquire. Everything on the IT/backend is messed up right now and I wouldn't take anything it says in your account as given and final.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by EG8196
Where did you get this information?
By Marriott Korea and Asia customer center. They started to say Marriott headquarter anounces "new guideline" hours ago so plat by promo will be plat, not pp.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador

But now Marriott says members who get platinum status by promo will be platinum. Not pp! By their "new guideline, my status will be platinum, and I will be a gold member next year which has nearly no benefits - no lounge access, no breakfast, no guaranteed late checkout.
Where does Marriott say that? What document are you quoting from?

BTW, is there a single person out there who is seeing Platinum when they expected PP and who DIDN'T complete a prior status challenge during the last 12 months or so?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
By Marriott Korea and Asia customer center. They started to say Marriott headquarter anounces "new guideline" hours ago so plat by promo will be plat, not pp.
I learnt from the linked status brouhaha to basically ignore any comment made by CS reps in matters like this.

Until you see it in writing on a Marriott webpage it's too soon to assume you're SOL.

At the moment I just find it interesting that every single person who has complained about not getting PP is someone who completed a prior status challenge. That's starting to look less like a random coincidence.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yurtripper
At the moment I just find it interesting that every single person who has complained about not getting PP is someone who completed a prior status challenge. That's starting to look less like a random coincidence.
There appears to be an issue for LT PP as well. And perhaps some random incidences, also.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I learnt from the linked status brouhaha to basically ignore any comment made by CS reps in matters like this.

Until you see it in writing on a Marriott webpage it's too soon to assume you're SOL.

I wouldn't be surprised if on the backend, status from status challenge vs organically gained is differently coded, so when it merged they were either forgotten about or have to manually be re-added.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Color me cynical, but I have the feeling that Marriott is going to decide that people who have received Platinum through a challenge are the same as any other status match; I suspect there will be a company line that (only) earned platinum translates to Platinum Elite.

For what it's worth, if the merger ability comes through before the end of the month I should stand at about 35 Marriott and 30 Starwood nights. I'm assuming that will be seen as 65 total nights, meaning regular Platinum until I reach 75.

(I did the challenge in early 2017 right after my Starwood gold linked as Marriott gold also)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Color me cynical, but I have the feeling that Marriott is going to decide that people who have received Platinum through a challenge are the same as any other status match; I suspect there will be a company line that (only) earned platinum translates to Platinum Elite.
Challenged Platinum status is earned status. It wasn't simply matched, we had to meet a stays requirement.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: free agent
Amazing how they cant cover all bases despite preparing for this big day for like 2+ years....

Yeah, I am one of them who currently see platinum and little irritated since Marriott told me that I'll enjoy platinum (PP) till Feb 2020 when I complete my status challenge last spring
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Where does Marriott say that? What document are you quoting from?

BTW, is there a single person out there who is seeing Platinum when they expected PP and who DIDN'T complete a prior status challenge during the last 12 months or so?
Happened to me, I didn't do a challenge however I was "granted" old Plat despite not staying enough nights to re-qualify during 2017. Not sweating it yet though.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Challenged Platinum status is earned status. It wasn't simply matched, we had to meet a stays requirement.
I remember reading (not sure where exactly) status via a challenge is "Promotional Status". There's also Complementary Status (eg. via UA). And there's Matched Status.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
I remember reading (not sure where exactly) status via a challenge is "Promotional Status". There's also Complementary Status (eg. via UA). And there's Matched Status.
They can call it "Purple Zebra Status" for all I care. The fact is it was earned, and we were told it would translate to Platinum Premier.

I already have like $14k in combined Marriott/SPG spend this year, with quite a bit more planned, and will be super pissed if they don't do the right thing here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.