Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Finished the Challenge with the last stay on Saturday July 7th. Stay posted this morning July 11th, together with the status changed from Gold to Plat Elite at Marriott side, but the SPG side is still Gold Preferred. I will give it a day or two and if it is still not changed, then ask SPG to take a look at it.
It took a day or two for SPG to update for me.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat38a
It took a day or two for SPG to update for me.
Yes. Received SPG Congrat email 45 min ago So all is set. Let's hope we would be converted over to the PP together with all other PEs currently in Marriott system.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Revisit the thread

For those of us who have completed the Challenge before August 1st, do you see your status changed from Plat to Plat Premier?

I just notice mine remains being Plat since it is upgraded 2 days after the 9th stay posted on July 11th but it remains Plat despite Aug 1st has long passed. I dont know for those folks who earn their Plat status the standard way have seen their status changed to Plat Premier or not, given Marriott has pushed back the final program merger to Aug 18th.

Would welcome any information so we who have done the Challenge and completed it before Aug 1st in good faith can know if ours would turn into Plat Premier or not.

I am afraid that when in late July Marriott handed out the Plat to anyone who signed up the Challenge regardless the stay, we those who have completed the Challenge before August 1st, are lumped into the same group and would not be given the Plat Premier status.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Revisit the thread

For those of us who have completed the Challenge before August 1st, do you see your status changed from Plat to Plat Premier?

I just notice mine remains being Plat since it is upgraded 2 days after the 9th stay posted on July 11th but it remains Plat despite Aug 1st has long passed. I dont know for those folks who earn their Plat status the standard way have seen their status changed to Plat Premier or not, given Marriott has pushed back the final program merger to Aug 18th.

Would welcome any information so we who have done the Challenge and completed it before Aug 1st in good faith can know if ours would turn into Plat Premier or not.

I am afraid that when in late July Marriott handed out the Plat to anyone who signed up the Challenge regardless the stay, we those who have completed the Challenge before August 1st, are lumped into the same group and would not be given the Plat Premier status.
Being able to earn PP status doesn't happen until after the merge. I would not expect any accounts to reflect PP until after this weekend, until then Plat would be correct.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:55 am

For those that did the challenge, post the merge 18 Aug, are your accounts reflecting Plat or Plat Premier?

Mine's still Plat.

Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by Dan89
For those that did the challenge, post the merge 18 Aug, are your accounts reflecting Plat or Plat Premier?

Mine's still Plat.

Cheers.
I finished Plat challenge in May, and today I am still platinum.

For experts, will it be Premier for us or not?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I couldn't find the info in the wiki or thread, apologies if it's common knowledge.

I'm Marriott old Gold/new Platinum through UA status, which will get downgraded to new Gold next year. However, I have quite a few travel plans in the spring, more than enough to fulfill any sort of challenge.

a) Do we know if the challenge will still exist under the new system?
b) If so, could I, next spring once my travel picks up, request a Platinum challenge and have temporary platinum through my travel, as well as gain platinum for the rest of the year once i complete 9 (or whatever the number ends up being if the program changes) stays?
c) what's the limitation on successful challenges? It says that an unsuccessful challenge can only be repeated again a year later - what about successful challenges? It obviously can't be a once a year thing or that'd defeat the purpose, but are they at all repeatable?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
I finished Plat challenge in May, and today I am still platinum.

For experts, will it be Premier for us or not?
The status changes are starting to show as of the last couple of hours on the apps. At least for the accounts I checked.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
I completed Plat challenge in 2017, which got me Plat through 2018. As of now, account is showing Plat and not PP. But when I combine SPG and MR, I’ll be a few nights away from PP for this year.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:01 am

I completed Plat challenge at start of this year - curious to know if I'll stay Plat or upgraded to Plat Premier.

Marriott already screwed me up on Cat 8 certificate - now previous Gold will be same status as Platinum (under old program ). Double screw up for me if that's where we're heading.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I completed the Platinum Challenge in the second half of 2017, so I was Platinum before the program merger. Now my account is showing Platinum, whereas I expected it to show Platinum Premier (until the end of this year).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:28 am

Same situation as many of you here. Completed Plat challenge mid year this year. Prior to the merge, my status was showing up as Plat. Now it's just showing up as Plat, I was expecting to be PP.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plat, finished Challenge on July 5th. And it shows I have 66 nights to go to reach Premier.

I believe my suspicion comes true - all plats earned from challenges regardless when the completions were, as well as those got it for free when Marriott just changed their status to Plat a month or so ago when some hadn't even started their challenges, are all lumped into one group that would not be converted to Premier.

Before. during and after the Challenge, the few email correspondences I got when trying to get a clarification on exactly what status it would be if challenge was completed before Aug 1st, 2/3 of them claimed it would be Plat Elite, 1/3 of them claimed they did not have the answer and would check then get back. Of course never hear anything back.

Given how low Marriott has gone in converting the TP cert, that it keep the challengers in Plat (the old Gold) does not surprise me. Though I fail to see how much Marriott can save here other than the extra 25% bonus on pay stay, and the very rare reservation guarantee (involved compensation). But Marriott would still choose the low road.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Plat, finished Challenge on July 5th. And it shows I have 66 nights to go to reach Premier.

I believe my suspicion comes true - all plats earned from challenges regardless when the completions were, as well as those got it for free when Marriott just changed their status to Plat a month or so ago when some hadn't even started their challenges, are all lumped into one group that would not be converted to Premier.
Well if that turns out to be true I must have missed the memo which stated that those who have Marriott Plat by virtue of completing a Platinum Challenge will not get the Platinum Premier status.
What's more, anyone who was Marriott Plat will have received an email months ago stating that they would be PP after the switchover (I mean people who didn't get Plat by linking from the SPG side).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG+Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Well if that turns out to be true I must have missed the memo which stated that those who have Marriott Plat by virtue of completing a Platinum Challenge will not get the Platinum Premier status.
What's more, anyone who was Marriott Plat will have received an email months ago stating that they would be PP after the switchover (I mean people who didn't get Plat by linking from the SPG side).
I completed the challenge in March and later got the e-mail saying as a plat I will become PP come the merge. Unfortunate, if we don't become PP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.