Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: LH FTL
Thanks! How does Marriott treat bookings for more than one room? Will they all count like with SPG?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Stay credits for 1 room (and not all properties provide 1 night stay for each night as the service apts and I think one other brand require 3 or 4 nights to get one nights stay credit) but points to a max of 3 (technically both reservation and payment must be solely yours)

Originally Posted by FlyDUS
Thanks! How does Marriott treat bookings for more than one room? Will they all count like with SPG?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: LH FTL
Thanks! Just signed up to the platinum challenge via phone. Challenge starts tomorrow and ends 31/12 I was told. Assuming a reach 9 stays here - how long will the status be granted?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Is Platinum status worth $400-$450?

I'm currently Marriott Gold (due to AMEX Plat) and have five planned stays within the next couple of months. The "Road to Platinum" challenge is nine stays within 90 days...so I could pretty easily spend an additional $450 or so on mattress run type stays to complete the challenge.

Is it worth the money to do that? In any given year I would spend 20 nights or so in Marriott/Starwood hotels. I think the value would be in the matching SPG Platinum but I welcome opinions from the Marriott/Starwood regulars as I'm switching this year from Hilton to Marriott/Starwood.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'm currently Marriott Gold (due to AMEX Plat) and have five planned stays within the next couple of months. The "Road to Platinum" challenge is nine stays within 90 days...so I could pretty easily spend an additional $450 or so on mattress run type stays to complete the challenge.

Is it worth the money to do that? In any given year I would spend 20 nights or so in Marriott/Starwood hotels. I think the value would be in the matching SPG Platinum but I welcome opinions from the Marriott/Starwood regulars as I'm switching this year from Hilton to Marriott/Starwood.
I matched SPG Plat to Marriott plat, and since then have 2 stay at JW and 1 stay at Westin.

at both JW I was upgraded from the cheapest room to suite which have around $200 difference in rate and at the Westin was upgraded to the premium room which is only around $50 difference

so I would say I have enjoyed $450 in upgrade for 3 stays so far, not including the free breakfast at Westin which you will not get as a SPG Gold
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:22 pm

I'm currently doing the Platinum 9 Stay Challenge. My wife will be travelling for a couple of conferences in the coming weeks. Would booking her room under my Marriott account count towards a stay eventhough I'm not physically there?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Davyboyo
I'm currently doing the Platinum 9 Stay Challenge. My wife will be travelling for a couple of conferences in the coming weeks. Would booking her room under my Marriott account count towards a stay eventhough I'm not physically there?
Technically the payment method has to match the ressie/name on account, so I wouldn't count on it if I were you.

Cheers.
Davyboyo and Srisarin like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Also, keep in mind, if the stay does book to your account AND should MR have reason to audit the stay (say having reading a post on some random blog like FT), you could lose credit after it's too late to make it up. DO NOT PLAN on it counting and make sure you've EARNED the challenge.
Davyboyo and Srisarin like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
IMO yes. I'm probably around 50% on suite upgrades from Marriott (sitting in Exec Suite at Marriott Marquis San Diego right now) and generally feel Plat recognition has been excellent.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Continental One Pass, AA Advantage
I have done that with my husband. I book the room and add his name to the reservation. I have never had a problem and I always get credit for the stay.
Davyboyo likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Taking Platinum Challenge at end of year

I just started traveling for business this week, so I don't have any status yet anywhere.

I'm pretty sure that by the end of the year I can get enough nights for gold between this year's work trips, earlier vacations, and signing up for the Marriott credit card.

Once I hit gold, I'm thinking I can apply for the platinum challenge in December, and then I would be able to complete it by the 2nd week of January. After that, I should be able to use it to get United silver and save myself a few months of not having any status at all.

You guys see any problem with the plan? Also - is it even worth the $85 fee from the credit card to get Marriott platinum and United silver early? I'm not sure the best way to work out the value.

My other thought, would be to take the gold challenge, have that knocked out in a couple of weeks; and then just get platinum the long way next year.

Last edited by flandery; Oct 6, 2017 at 10:03 am Reason: Added more detail
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just signed up for the platinum challenge. Since I have until the end of January to complete the challenge, I'm wondering if there is any advantage to do my 9th stay in Jan. Would that extend my status to the end of 2019? or would it be end of 2018 regardless of when I complete the challenge?

Since Marriott doesn't provide breakfast at resorts, it would be nice to get my status early since I was thinking of staying at some SPG resorts in the beginning of the year. But I don't want to do it if it would mean one less year of platinum.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:25 pm

I would personally try to get Plat sooner just so I can earn more points on my stays. I'd also get the Marriott card as I'd earn more points and can get status faster. The points you can get for signing up and meeting the spend requirement are also worth more than $85.

I can't speak to whether there are any problems with your plan, though, as I haven't done the status challenges before.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
When I signed up earlier this week, the agent told me outright that it would expire in Jan 31 of 2019, once I hit the requirements.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Well, this is a tad annoying...

I sent an email about 6 weeks ago about status match to another program, and have patiently waited for the reply which came today declining the status match.

I was told about the Gold Challenge, literally 2 days after just completing what would have been 2 stays towards the 6 stays required for Gold... *Harumph*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.