Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

What is the difference between "taste of platinum" and "platinum challenge"
Taste of platinum is like the platinum challenge except they give you the status immediately - giving you the 'taste'. Cheesy, I know. If you complete the challenge, you maintain the status. If not, you lose it.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Plan on calling tomorrow to see if they will offer a Taste of Gold promo to me. Have a lot of Hilton stays that I will switch to Marriott.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Diamond
Does anyone have an e-mail address to the Marriott Rewards Program Team that I can e-mail over my Hyatt Diamond Stay information for 2014-2015 to try and request the "Taste of Platinum or Platinum Status Match"?
Old May 1, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze007
Does anyone have an e-mail address to the Marriott Rewards Program Team that I can e-mail over my Hyatt Diamond Stay information for 2014-2015 to try and request the "Taste of Platinum or Platinum Status Match"?
I did not have an email address, but emailed using the form on the rewards site.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
I've been trying but they do not offer either promo only the "challenge" which is more like a fast track. And you will not get it once you complete the stay
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:50 pm

Platinum challenge

I'm currently enrolled in the platinum challenge which requires about 9 stays. Since i have quite some nights coming up for me, is it possible to split a multiple night stay into multiple stays at the same hotel?

say if the plan is Monday - Wednesday, if i book Monday - Tuesday and Tuesday - Wednesday separately at the same property, will it count as two stays or one?

Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by lovvge
I'm currently enrolled in the platinum challenge which requires about 9 stays. Since i have quite some nights coming up for me, is it possible to split a multiple night stay into multiple stays at the same hotel?

say if the plan is Monday - Wednesday, if i book Monday - Tuesday and Tuesday - Wednesday separately at the same property, will it count as two stays or one?

Thanks!
No. Find another hotel and go back and forth
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:03 am
Suspended

One as MR computer will likely catch it even if seperated.

Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:52 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Marriott (and all the other hotel programs as well) will consider a "stay" to defined as "consecutive nights at the same hotel no matter the check-ins/outs".

So as previously mentioned, if you need more "stays", you will have to do some hotel swapping.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Thanks!
No, there is a very good chance MR will catch the consecutive nights and combine into a single stay. If hotel hopping is not an option at your location, you can break up the stay by booking intervening nights without using your account. Yes, you loose night/point credit, but if your interest is bumping the stay ticker on a single trip, it should work. Yes, expect to change rooms and make sure they don't tie your account to the night.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:08 pm

Got it, Thanks, guys! :-)

then hotel swapping it is.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

I completed most a Plat challenge a couple of years ago during a week stay in Hong Kong, by staying at each property one night. It was a little inconvenient, but not really a big deal. I was traveling alone and with carry-on luggage only, so my morning routine was to get up, get breakfast, check out, trek to the next property, check-in or drop the bags depending on time availability, and get to work (the job I was doing had quite a bit of flexibility).

The only repeat was the Sky City Marriott by the airport, I stayed there the first and last night for convenience, with four other nights in between. No problem crediting the two nights at the Sky City as two stays as a result.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
I recently wrote an email (around Jun11) to MR email for Gold challenge and they offered me this challenge by accumulating 6 stays through Spet 30th.

However, I am reaching the 6th stay in about two weeks.

I also know the policy of challenge is only offering once per year, so I am not sure if I could do it. If not, I think I will do SPG plat challenge instead, since they have many events and bonus in Q2.

The question is can I ask them if I can do plat challenge? because it only requires 3 more stays which I can be easily to achieve. (I have plans for staying in hotels for the next couple months). Or is there any way I can either write or call them?

Thanks~
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:44 pm

Hotel hopping

Did mine in Vegas. Weekend at JW and Rensissance which are the more expensive nights on the strip. Rest of time at Cosmopolitan.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marrtiot, Delta
Got my The Road to Gold challenge complete. I had to stay 4 separate times for Gold status and Ill have Gold status for the rest of this year and next year. Pretty nice as I haven't even been a Marriott member for a year yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.