Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Any status-match or challenges open to elites from IHG/Hilton that need to make some Marriott stays ?

Previously not registered/signed up to Marriott program, I will soon have a few visits lined up when Marriott locations will suit me more than my current IHG/Hilton programs hotels.

Decided to ask what Marriott currently might have in terms of challenges or status-match , that I could ask for.... but before asking best to get advice here in FT.

I would prefer Gold upfront as am used to my current lounges/upgrades with IHG/Hilton , I can't see a need for Platinum as I would not be able to maintain it.
I do 1 or 2 night stays , so option of either stays or nights would be useful to choose from, but I won't be hotel-hopping my 2night in 1stays over 2hotels , to register 2stays, it is too much hastle.

Only just registered with Marriott today (11/Nov) and booked my first Marriott night today for 27-28th November.

And yes, I am aware starting such challenges in last month of a year is usually less advantageous as may mean i complete Jan 2015 and get less free time as elite but with stays November/December I might as well do it now.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I registered for the platinum challenge a few days ago. I have until Feb 28 to make the 9 stays.

If I had done it sooner it would have been much easier with my work travel schedule, but oh well.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Any status-match or challenges open to elites from IHG/Hilton that need to make some Marriott stays ?

Previously not registered/signed up to Marriott program, I will soon have a few visits lined up when Marriott locations will suit me more than my current IHG/Hilton programs hotels.

Decided to ask what Marriott currently might have in terms of challenges or status-match , that I could ask for.... but before asking best to get advice here in FT.

I would prefer Gold upfront as am used to my current lounges/upgrades with IHG/Hilton , I can't see a need for Platinum as I would not be able to maintain it.
I do 1 or 2 night stays , so option of either stays or nights would be useful to choose from, but I won't be hotel-hopping my 2night in 1stays over 2hotels , to register 2stays, it is too much hastle.

Only just registered with Marriott today (11/Nov) and booked my first Marriott night today for 27-28th November.

And yes, I am aware starting such challenges in last month of a year is usually less advantageous as may mean i complete Jan 2015 and get less free time as elite but with stays November/December I might as well do it now.
I would suggest you make all your upcoming reservations before you call. They will check your account for activity and this might help with you receiving the challenge. Remember the taste challange gives you the benefits while you are doing and the road gives you the benefits after you complete the challange.
Good luck!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:52 pm

Are you a new Marriott member? If not, how was your stay pattern in the previous year? Thanks a lot in advance.

Originally Posted by chongl
I registered for the platinum challenge a few days ago. I have until Feb 28 to make the 9 stays.

If I had done it sooner it would have been much easier with my work travel schedule, but oh well.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:41 pm
alc

I did a search for "how long do I have to wait to challenge again" on this thread and I only return 1 result, and not related to my question. I thought it was discussed before, can someone please remind me the answer?

Here are my history:

- Jan/Feb 2012, Plat Challenged, Exp Feb 2014
- Within 2013 didn't have enough stay to meet Plat, hence March 2014 drop to Gold
- Didn't have enough points at the time to use points to retain Plat
- I will be short by ~10 nights to qualify for Gold this year
- Are we allow to do the Challenge again?
- If the answer is yes, will I be able to request it in 2015?

Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by alc
I did a search for "how long do I have to wait to challenge again" on this thread and I only return 1 result, and not related to my question. I thought it was discussed before, can someone please remind me the answer?

Here are my history:

- Within 2013 didn't have enough stay to meet Plat, hence March 2014 drop to Gold

Thanks.
Not sure for sure- they may offer Elite buyback again for 2015- this could be a quick way to secure Gold. Or give them a call in 2015- could work, but may or may not end up with a challenge. Could be just a Road to Gold, or nothing.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by alc

Here are my history:

Thanks.
My advice is to book a meeting fast before the end of the year. You get 10 nights for that.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Anyone able to schedule their challenge in advance.--For example, if your stay starts on the 2nd of next month, can you call in now and ask for the challenge to start on the 2nd of next month?

I suppose the agent can manually note in your account and grant the status manually later, but I prefer they have a system in place to schedule challenges in advance.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:44 am

You could send them an email, if they approve your request, they will ask you to reply to their email on 2nd next month.

Originally Posted by eethan
Anyone able to schedule their challenge in advance.--For example, if your stay starts on the 2nd of next month, can you call in now and ask for the challenge to start on the 2nd of next month?

I suppose the agent can manually note in your account and grant the status manually later, but I prefer they have a system in place to schedule challenges in advance.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I would suggest you make all your upcoming reservations before you call. They will check your account for activity and this might help with you receiving the challenge. Remember the taste challange gives you the benefits while you are doing and the road gives you the benefits after you complete the challange.
Good luck!
Well I booked 6 furher weekend nights now over next 8weeks , so future reservations = 6 Amsterdam + 1 Birmimgham UK

On Marriott.com , tried contacts link, and ended up with online screen with text input box. Typed a request for "Taste of Gold" which then says email sent to Customer Support

Question here is, can these people give a "Taste of Gold" or do I need to contact and ask some other corporate customer facing team?

I would much rather have gold during challenge, than have to make nn Stays/nights with no status, zero louge/zero upgrades , as to stay at Marriott brands I would be forgoing my Hilton/IHG/IC/CC hotel brand bennies .... (Although I will let my ClubCarlson-Gold lapse for next year)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:41 pm

Well I booked 6 furher weekend nights now over next 8weeks , so future reservations = 6 Amsterdam + 1 Birmimgham UK

On Marriott.com , tried contacts link, and ended up with online screen with text input box. Typed a request for "Taste of Gold" which then says email sent to Customer Support

Question here is, can these people give a "Taste of Gold" or do I need to contact and ask some other corporate customer facing team?

I would much rather have gold during challenge, than have to make nn Stays/nights with no status, zero louge/zero upgrades , as to stay at Marriott brands I would be forgoing my Hilton/IHG/IC/CC hotel brand bennies .... (Although I will let my ClubCarlson-Gold lapse for next year)
When I did mine I spoke over the phone. For me it's better to have a conversation in order to "push" for what you want. I did mine over 2 years ago after they had changed it to stays instead of nights. I was able to get the nights. I told the rep that I was now ready to take my taste challange for the nights. She put me on hold and I thought I was done for. She came back and said she just needed to get the right code for nights.

I was following the thread and I know I was lucky. I hadn't read of anyone getting nights instead of stays at that period of time. Of course YMMV.

Speak to someone and if they say no, speak to someone who can make it happen.
Good luck. I think it was the Marriott Rewards desk that I called.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
When I did mine I spoke over the phone. For me it's better to have a conversation in order to "push" for what you want. I did mine over 2 years ago after they had changed it to stays instead of nights. I was able to get the nights. I told the rep that I was now ready to take my taste challange for the nights. She put me on hold and I thought I was done for. She came back and said she just needed to get the right code for nights.

I was following the thread and I know I was lucky. I hadn't read of anyone getting nights instead of stays at that period of time. Of course YMMV.

Speak to someone and if they say no, speak to someone who can make it happen.
Good luck. I think it was the Marriott Rewards desk that I called.
for awareness of others considering a Switch to Marriott chain hotels

1. Online Form bounced back saying no challenges/matches exist and that status can only be gained through nights, and quoting the 50/75 nights needed

2. Call to Marriott Customer Support . Friendly operator, but immediately stated that only Marriott Rewards can offer the fast-trak opportunities.
(And kindly transferred me to Marriott Rewards Line)

3. Marriott Rewards Line Operator
3.1 Took my member-number to check my account/address even though I said only just joined up and yet to stay, although some reservations made
3.2 Said she is only allowed to offer challenge to +1 status-level, so Silver Challenge is only possibility as new 'non-status' member (3 stays needed)
3.3 "Taste" type offers are not given out , just challenges are offered with no status increase until challenge completed.
3.4 Suggested I get in 10nights and ring back once Silver Status posts (but not as soon as 10th night stayed) so my +1 level will then be Gold.
3.5 Then if new Status=Silver I can be offered a "Gold Challenge", 6 stays (not nights).
3.6 And any Gold Challenge, 6 stays needed, would span to 2015 and not be wasted if I do 4stays on Dec + 2 stays in January
3.7 Lady Op was kind enough to warn me challenges are stays not nights and even if one checked in/out multiple nights still count as 1 stay.

Due to time of year 22nd Nov , ony 5weeks to Dec 31st, and xmas vacation time, I can just do the one Marriott night next weekend, as I can't get in 10nights in 3 weeks. I now need to wait until January to start my initial 10nights.

I will check if I can get 1hour meeting room deal on my November night to get 10night credit and instant Silver. Will depend if hotel will do meeting room by hour, and also not require either meeting F+B or multiple nights/rooms to be booked for meeting credit.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:26 pm

for awareness of others considering a Switch to Marriott chain hotels

1. Online Form bounced back saying no challenges/matches exist and that status can only be gained through nights, and quoting the 50/75 nights needed

2. Call to Marriott Customer Support . Friendly operator, but immediately stated that only Marriott Rewards can offer the fast-trak opportunities.
(And kindly transferred me to Marriott Rewards Line)

3. Marriott Rewards Line Operator
3.1 Took my member-number to check my account/address even though I said only just joined up and yet to stay, although some reservations made
3.2 Said she is only allowed to offer challenge to +1 status-level, so Silver Challenge is only possibility as new 'non-status' member (3 stays needed)
3.3 "Taste" type offers are not given out , just challenges are offered with no status increase until challenge completed.
3.4 Suggested I get in 10nights and ring back once Silver Status posts (but not as soon as 10th night stayed) so my +1 level will then be Gold.
3.5 Then if new Status=Silver I can be offered a "Gold Challenge", 6 stays (not nights).
3.6 And any Gold Challenge, 6 stays needed, would span to 2015 and not be wasted if I do 4stays on Dec + 2 stays in January
3.7 Lady Op was kind enough to warn me challenges are stays not nights and even if one checked in/out multiple nights still count as 1 stay.

Due to time of year 22nd Nov , ony 5weeks to Dec 31st, and xmas vacation time, I can just do the one Marriott night next weekend, as I can't get in 10nights in 3 weeks. I now need to wait until January to start my initial 10nights.

I will check if I can get 1hour meeting room deal on my November night to get 10night credit and instant Silver. Will depend if hotel will do meeting room by hour, and also not require either meeting F+B or multiple nights/rooms to be booked for meeting credit.
Chase Marriott credit card gives you automatic silver. I think you get 12 or 15 nights.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Question. As a silver, if I wait until next year (January 2015) to do the gold challenge, will my gold status be valid until March 2017 ?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Question. As a silver, if I wait until next year (January 2015) to do the gold challenge, will my gold status be valid until March 2017 ?
The 'cut-off' time really differs. I have started my Platinum Taste in April 2013, and my status last till Feb 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.