Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you can handle the hotel hopping, then do that for Vancouver & you'll have the Gold by the end of the trip (after all the stays post). When you call back to try for Plat, you can even mention that the rep telling you about the fab service at the Ren is one of the reasons you can it, that you'll get the 9 stays & get it legit next year, but would like to have Plat as soon as possible.

Cheers.
Good point. Do they let you do a Platinum Challenge right after a gold?
I could do the 6 nights in Van, then I do have another booked 9 after that at the Edmonton Ren and Ottawa.

Cats
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by catarina
Good point. Do they let you do a Platinum Challenge right after a gold?
I could do the 6 nights in Van, then I do have another booked 9 after that at the Edmonton Ren and Ottawa.

Cats
I don't think so. I'd call back & say that you were signed up for Gold, but what you really wanted was Plat, that you'll meet the 9 stays, will stay Plat next year through legit stays, tell them you travel 125 nights a year, offer to fax them your SPG or Fairmont summaries verifying your high status with them. Worst case they say they can only do Gold (which gets you a lot anyway); best case they switch you to the Plat challenge.

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:30 pm

I don't think so. I'd call back & say that you were signed up for Gold, but what you really wanted was Plat, that you'll meet the 9 stays, will stay Plat next year through legit stays, tell them you travel 125 nights a year, offer to fax them your SPG or Fairmont summaries verifying your high status with them. Worst case they say they can only do Gold (which gets you a lot anyway); best case they switch you to the Plat challenge.

Cheers.
Definitely agree. Call back. Also if they don't budge on giving you the platinum challenge ask if they at least will give you the taste of gold challenge instead of road so you will get all the benefits from the start.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Definitely agree. Call back. Also if they don't budge on giving you the platinum challenge ask if they at least will give you the taste of gold challenge instead of road so you will get all the benefits from the start.
I'll try that tomorrow before my flight.

On another note - any recommendations for Toronto Pearson hotels? I usually stay at the Sheraton Gateway if I need to be in the terminal otherwise Westin Bristol.

Any fabulous Marriotts in the area?

C
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
He might have forgotten to change his status on the FT listing/profile.
Yep - sorry for the confusion. I'm a lowly Gold (for the next 6 stays)...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Let's say it this way - you can't always get what you, but sometimes you can get what you need ...

I called today and could not get the Platinum Challenge. Rep said he could only go up one level. He did emphasize that Gold would give me most of the Platinum benefits and I know that many of you have said the same.

Asked about the "Taste" and he said that only Corporate Office could offer that.

I asked about nights vs stays and low and behold - I had my choice. 6 stays or 12 nights.

I've chosen to do 12 nights. I have an 8 night stay coming up and it would be nice for all of those nights to count and not hotel hop.
Then I have 4 one nighters which will give me gold, followed by another 4 in the same hotels, including the Ren Edm Airport, and it will be interesting to see what, if anything changes for those stays!

These stays, coupled with the Megabonus and my Marriott Chase card should rack up some nice points :-) I just need to make sure I have one night before my 8 night stay so it counts for the double points.

And I've been given until January 31, 2015 to complete the challenge.

Cats
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Has anyone recently been able to get the Taste of Gold? I was able to get signed up for the Gold challenge but they would not offer me the Taste. It would be nice to experience it during my stay
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
They sort of thrust the Taste at us earlier this year. Honestly, besides "thank you for being Gold" and a couple of bottles of water, I couldn't see what the hoopla was about.

We did not make the challenge during their parameters, since we knew we would achieve it organically later in the year, so I never spent money on stays we were not going to take anyway. And so now we are Gold anyway (through stays later in the year) and will see what wonders await us.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by PointSeeker07
Has anyone recently been able to get the Taste of Gold? I was able to get signed up for the Gold challenge but they would not offer me the Taste. It would be nice to experience it during my stay
They are no longer doing taste

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
They sort of thrust the Taste at us earlier this year. Honestly, besides "thank you for being Gold" and a couple of bottles of water, I couldn't see what the hoopla was about.

We did not make the challenge during their parameters, since we knew we would achieve it organically later in the year, so I never spent money on stays we were not going to take anyway. And so now we are Gold anyway (through stays later in the year) and will see what wonders await us.
Why didn't you just say no thanks when offered it if you knew you weren't going to hit it?

Also, if you were only given water doesn't sound like you were staying at full service properties with exec lounge etc.

Cheers
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Correct, we were not at FS properties. So no lounges, and no upgrade opportunities. I didn't mean to imply we didn't get something a Gold should have gotten, just that in our experience there was nothing really to "get" (I do like free water).

I didn't say no because with the Taste (and not the Road), we got Gold immediately, so I got the supposed benefits right away with some of the stays that were earning our own Gold. The Taste was from something like April to June of this year, and we reached Gold with stays in August. I didn't see any reason to say no thanks, especially since during the Taste we did get the Gold bonus points. Why say no?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ckpeter
You could call back.

I should point out that the there is minimal advantage of platinum over gold in the Marriott program. In the event that you can't enroll in platinum, just know that gold is a very decent level to be in.
Thanks Peter!

I did call back and was able to get them to offer me the road to platinum. Which Im pretty I finished it last night.

Does anyone know if it should automatically hit or if I have to call back, As with other people I never received anything formal saying I was enrolled.

Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ceres
Thanks Peter!

I did call back and was able to get them to offer me the road to platinum. Which Im pretty I finished it last night.

Does anyone know if it should automatically hit or if I have to call back, As with other people I never received anything formal saying I was enrolled.

Thanks
It won't hit until your stay gets credited. It should apply at that point, but if it were me I'd call and remind them.

Cheers
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by catarina
Let's say it this way - you can't always get what you, but sometimes you can get what you need ...

I called today and could not get the Platinum Challenge. Rep said he could only go up one level. He did emphasize that Gold would give me most of the Platinum benefits and I know that many of you have said the same.

Asked about the "Taste" and he said that only Corporate Office could offer that.

I asked about nights vs stays and low and behold - I had my choice. 6 stays or 12 nights.

I've chosen to do 12 nights. I have an 8 night stay coming up and it would be nice for all of those nights to count and not hotel hop.
Then I have 4 one nighters which will give me gold, followed by another 4 in the same hotels, including the Ren Edm Airport, and it will be interesting to see what, if anything changes for those stays!

These stays, coupled with the Megabonus and my Marriott Chase card should rack up some nice points :-) I just need to make sure I have one night before my 8 night stay so it counts for the double points.

And I've been given until January 31, 2015 to complete the challenge.

Cats
So I admit it has been annoying me that I was told I could not have the Platinum Challenge. I was reviewing my travel for the remainder of the year and next year and I decided to call again. And the nice fella on the line looked at my account and decided that I would have no problem maintaining platinum status and gave me the challenge. He mentioned that since I was already signed up for the gold, that it would upgrade my status to Gold first and that I would have to call in to have the Platinum status manually upgraded upon completing the 9 stays.

Renaissance Platinum Pass Signature Service here we come. I think I have about 28 nights next year at the Edmonton Airport Ren. That will make being stuck at the airport a little more pleasant!

C
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I just got an e-mail today with the title of "Congratulations, Gold Elite Upgrade For You" saying that I've been upgraded for the next 3 months and can extend the upgrade until Feb 2016 by staying 6 times between 10/13/14 1/31/15. Is this the same as a challenge, just one I didn't ask for? I'm actually quite surprised I got this e-mail because I've only been silver for a month and have only been silver once 2 years ago.

Am I supposed to see my gold status when I log in? My account still shows silver.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by OsoJoe
I just got an e-mail today with the title of "Congratulations, Gold Elite Upgrade For You" saying that I've been upgraded for the next 3 months and can extend the upgrade until Feb 2016 by staying 6 times between 10/13/14 1/31/15. Is this the same as a challenge, just one I didn't ask for? I'm actually quite surprised I got this e-mail because I've only been silver for a month and have only been silver once 2 years ago.

Am I supposed to see my gold status when I log in? My account still shows silver.
The verbiage sounds like the taste (ie, you get bennies immediately), but the detail sounds like road (ie, do the stays and then you get the bunnies til 2016).

Call Marriott rewards cust svc and ask them if you'r e signed up for taste or road.
Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.