Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ceres
I called a week ago and asked for the platinum challenge. They said because I was silver I could only request a "one level up"challenge for gold. I attempted to explain that I was gold with hilton and my choice was to either switch my business to marriott or just stay at hilton and go for their diamond level. And that I would switch business for marriott if they would do a platinun challenge. Which he declined.

Do I call back and talk to another rep?

Thanks for your help
You could call back.

I should point out that the there is minimal advantage of platinum over gold in the Marriott program. In the event that you can't enroll in platinum, just know that gold is a very decent level to be in.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ckpeter
You could call back.

I should point out that the there is minimal advantage of platinum over gold in the Marriott program. In the event that you can't enroll in platinum, just know that gold is a very decent level to be in.
Agree its a marginal increase in benefits, and if you're committed to moving your biz, Gold will be nearly the same recognition.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Was refused a Gold status challenge today. I've been a Marriott rewards member since 2011, 2 stays (6 total nights) this year so far. I'm HHonors Gold, and was considering Marriott for a few more stays this year, but forget it. I'll stick with Hilton or SPG.

E-mail reads:

We regret to inform you that neither Elite Challenges nor status matches are available at this time.

Our Elite levels are determined by loyalty which has already been demonstrated by our members accruing the required nights.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
FWIW

I recently noticed that I was Gold in my account. In the Promotions section I saw that I was registered for Taste of Gold. Marriott Rewards must have signed me up for this. Here's the interesting part: I was at 33 nights and my credit card renewal giving me 15 nights credit is the end of October. Given that I've been using the credit card I will have 50 total nights by then once the 15 are added whether or not I stay at a MR property. The Taste of Gold challenge expires 11/18 of this year. To Marriott's credit, they gave me Gold status three months before I would have earned it on my own. I think that's pretty cool. ^
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RDB68
I recently noticed that I was Gold in my account. In the Promotions section I saw that I was registered for Taste of Gold. Marriott Rewards must have signed me up for this. To Marriott's credit, they gave me Gold status three months before I would have earned it on my own. I think that's pretty cool. ^
Well for you it is pretty cool. For those who requested it & were turned down, not so much But congrats.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:27 am

Would someone maybe have the answer to this? I was given the Road to Gold (as well as Platinum) Challenge.

Quick synopsis:

In order to achieve this status, you must accumulate six separate paid stays beginning with the date your account is registered for the offer, through December 31, 2014. This is a one-time offer, and would be effective within three business days of your acceptance of this offer.

Once you have accumulated six separate paid stays, your account status would be upgraded to Gold Elite through January 2016.

My question is this: Does anyone know how they consider a full year? I see that with it ending Dec 31 it goes through January 2016.

If I were to wait until October... and have my fulfillment period end on Jan 31, 2015... would this in turn cause for it to go to January 2017? Seeing, as the start period is 2015 and not 2017? Is it one of those like, you get it for the rest of the year and THEN a full year?

Or, in order for the logic above to work, I would have to START the promo in 2015?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Marriott or Fairmont for backup Platinum

So I'll be hitting SPG100 this year, and I'll have some extra nights to throw at either Fairmont Platinum (I need 9 more stays), or I could do a 9 stay Marriott Platinum Challenge if they will give me one. I would not do a challenge if I could not maintain that status in subsequent years. Next year I will have a minimum of 125 nights which will easily take care of SPG, Marriott and Fairmont Platinum. By then I will know if SPG 75 or 100 is worth the extra nights or if I sill just do SPG Plat 50.

I've been reading the posts on the Marriott Platinum Challenges and I see that offers are slim at this time of year. I suppose they prefer to not offer the challenges at the same time at the Mega Bonus. My MegaBonus offer was the standard double points starting with second stay up to max of 25,000 bonus points.

I am currently silver with the Canadian Chase card, and I have 15 nights booked where the Marriotts are my best option and I would hate to miss out on Platinum when I'll be doing the stays anyway. One of my main reasons for choosing Marriott is the new Renaissance at the Edmonton Airport. I have at least 6 trips a year in Edmonton and love being able to stay at the airport on the way in and out.

I've heard that Courtyards are not favourites within the chain, but I've stayed at the Edmonton West Courtyard and was pleasantly surprised. I must admit I was nervous booking it because I usually stay at Westins, but that Courtyard was really nice and my room service meal was excellent. I also have a 7 night Marriott stay in Vancouver, which I can break up into 3 stays by switching to the Renaissance for one night.

Any advice when requesting the challenge?

And if you had to choose between Fairmont and Marriott, which would you choose?

Keep in mind I am in Canada, my business travel is all in Canada ( I own my company, so the $$$'s spent are my own), and the Fairmonts are good locations for all of my events as well as vacation spots. The AMEX 3rd/4th night free at Fairmont makes the rates pretty good too.
The Marriott locations are mostly covered by SPG locations, the exception being the Edmonton Airport.

Cat
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by catarina
I've been reading the posts on the Marriott Platinum Challenges and I see that offers are slim at this time of year. I suppose they prefer to not offer the challenges at the same time at the Mega Bonus. My MegaBonus offer was the standard double points starting with second stay up to max of 25,000 bonus points.

I am currently silver with the Canadian Chase card, and I have 15 nights booked where the Marriotts are my best option and I would hate to miss out on Platinum when I'll be doing the stays anyway. One of my main reasons for choosing Marriott is the new Renaissance at the Edmonton Airport. I have at least 6 trips a year in Edmonton and love being able to stay at the airport on the way in and out.

I've heard that Courtyards are not favourites within the chain, but I've stayed at the Edmonton West Courtyard and was pleasantly surprised. I must admit I was nervous booking it because I usually stay at Westins, but that Courtyard was really nice and my room service meal was excellent. I also have a 7 night Marriott stay in Vancouver, which I can break up into 3 stays by switching to the Renaissance for one night.

Any advice when requesting the challenge?

Cat
I can't address the Fairmont vs. Marriott question, but if you think you'd get the 6 (Gold) or (9) stays by November 30 or December 31 (not sure which deadline they're using), then I'd call in now & request the challenge.

Please note, though, that it's the Road to (Gold or Plat) challenge, which means you don't get the bennies until you've hit the 6 or 9 stays. Since there isn't a huge difference between the two, you might ask for Gold so you get it in 3 less stays. That's up to you. Heck, if you're willing to hotel hop daily you could get Gold by the end of your 7 day stay in Vancouver.

What I would suggest doing is book your Edmonton & Vancouver stays before calling to request the Road challenge & nicely point out that you do have some upcoming stays, mention your top tier status with the others, how much time you'll be spending in hotels next year & you'll certainly be able to hit status, etc, that you're trying to decide whether to toss the 9 extra stays to Fairmont or Marriott for this year and if they give you the challenge then you'll stick with Marriott, etc.

Good luck!

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I can't address the Fairmont vs. Marriott question, but if you think you'd get the 6 (Gold) or (9) stays by November 30 or December 31 (not sure which deadline they're using), then I'd call in now & request the challenge.

Please note, though, that it's the Road to (Gold or Plat) challenge, which means you don't get the bennies until you've hit the 6 or 9 stays. Since there isn't a huge difference between the two, you might ask for Gold so you get it in 3 less stays. That's up to you. Heck, if you're willing to hotel hop daily you could get Gold by the end of your 7 day stay in Vancouver.

What I would suggest doing is book your Edmonton & Vancouver stays before calling to request the Road challenge & nicely point out that you do have some upcoming stays, mention your top tier status with the others, how much time you'll be spending in hotels next year & you'll certainly be able to hit status, etc, that you're trying to decide whether to toss the 9 extra stays to Fairmont or Marriott for this year and if they give you the challenge then you'll stick with Marriott, etc.

Good luck!

Cheers.
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the reply.
I do currently have all the reservations made. In fact I made them 2 months ago. I will easily have the 9 stays, so I may as well do the platinum. I do know that i must do all the stays for the challenge (i.e. I don't get gold if I signed up for Platinum and then only did 6).

I thought about hotel hopping for the 7 nights in Vancouver, the two hotels are basically across the street, and my event venue is a block away. But I'll be working really long days. I may still do that! A factor will be if the cut-off is November 30 since some of my stays are in December. If so, then I need to make the most of the Vancouver stays. I have another 4 stays in November after Vancouver, so if they give me the challenge I will reconfigure whatever I need to.

I don't mind not having the status during these stays. This is all about getting prepped for mega stays next year. If I'm going be to away from home that many nights, I am going to be comfortable! I'll have some very nice suites for the rest of my SPG stays this year and don't mind a few basic rooms in between. I'll be on the road for 5 weeks and get home just in time to cook the Christmas feast.

Too bad they are not doing the "Taste" anymore. But that did seem a little generous on their part. Too many people doing it just for the benefits during the challenge and then not meeting the status the next year.

Now if only I could do 95 segments on AC next year ...50 is kinda worthless:-)

Cat
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:44 pm

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the reply.
I do currently have all the reservations made. In fact I made them 2 months ago. I will easily have the 9 stays, so I may as well do the platinum. I do know that i must do all the stays for the challenge (i.e. I don't get gold if I signed up for Platinum and then only did 6).

I thought about hotel hopping for the 7 nights in Vancouver, the two hotels are basically across the street, and my event venue is a block away. But I'll be working really long days. I may still do that! A factor will be if the cut-off is November 30 since some of my stays are in December. If so, then I need to make the most of the Vancouver stays. I have another 4 stays in November after Vancouver, so if they give me the challenge I will reconfigure whatever I need to.

I don't mind not having the status during these stays. This is all about getting prepped for mega stays next year. If I'm going be to away from home that many nights, I am going to be comfortable! I'll have some very nice suites for the rest of my SPG stays this year and don't mind a few basic rooms in between. I'll be on the road for 5 weeks and get home just in time to cook the Christmas feast.

Too bad they are not doing the "Taste" anymore. But that did seem a little generous on their part. Too many people doing it just for the benefits during the challenge and then not meeting the status the next year.

Now if only I could do 95 segments on AC next year ...50 is kinda worthless:-)

Cat
Ask for the taste of platinum instead of the road. Worst they can say is no. Doesn't hurt to ask. You might get lucky.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Ask for the taste of platinum instead of the road. Worst they can say is no. Doesn't hurt to ask. You might get lucky.
Good point. I'll be calling tomorrow and will report back. I thought about waiting a couple of days into September before calling, but really, I don't need the extended time as I have more than 9 stays between Nov 9-Dec 8.

Cats
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:59 pm

Good point. I'll be calling tomorrow and will report back. I thought about waiting a couple of days into September before calling, but really, I don't need the extended time as I have more than 9 stays between Nov 9-Dec 8.

Cats
Well that was disappointing. They offered me the Gold Challenge and would not budge to Platinum.

Cats
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:05 pm

Well that was disappointing. They offered me the Gold Challenge and would not budge to Platinum.

Cats
It may be because you have Silver status? I think someone posted up thread they were told they'll only do a 1-level up challenge, so since you are Silver Gold is the next one.

But then again someone also posted they offered Gold & he talked them into Platinum. You can always call back & see if they'll do the Plat after all, stressing you'll hit the 9 stays to get it but also that you'll hit it naturally next year with stays & so would like to have the Platinum status from the get-go (well after the 9 stays).

Good luck!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It may be because you have Silver status? I think someone posted up thread they were told they'll only do a 1-level up challenge, so since you are Silver Gold is the next one.

But then again someone also posted they offered Gold & he talked them into Platinum. You can always call back & see if they'll do the Plat after all, stressing you'll hit the 9 stays to get it but also that you'll hit it naturally next year with stays & so would like to have the Platinum status from the get-go (well after the 9 stays).

Good luck!
I tried all that, but I guess I was not charming enough! lol

I was happy to be offered the Gold Challenge. It would be better than nothing, but I'm not telling them that yet. What made me really want the Platinum was the rep telling me about the Platinum Service at the Renaissance. After hearing about that, it was hard to accept gold.

Anybody stay at Renaissance and feel that Platinum get you more than Gold?
If I do the gold, I could have it done with that Vancouver stay if I hop.

I'll call again in a few days.

Cats
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:16 pm

I tried all that, but I guess I was not charming enough! lol

I was happy to be offered the Gold Challenge. It would be better than nothing, but I'm not telling them that yet. What made me really want the Platinum was the rep telling me about the Platinum Service at the Renaissance. After hearing about that, it was hard to accept gold.

Anybody stay at Renaissance and feel that Platinum get you more than Gold?
If I do the gold, I could have it done with that Vancouver stay if I hop.

I'll call again in a few days.

Cats
If you can handle the hotel hopping, then do that for Vancouver & you'll have the Gold by the end of the trip (after all the stays post). When you call back to try for Plat, you can even mention that the rep telling you about the fab service at the Ren is one of the reasons you can it, that you'll get the 9 stays & get it legit next year, but would like to have Plat as soon as possible.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.