Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Plus I believe it's 9 stays, not 9 nights.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by hoorayb33r
I have been searching endlessly for the answer. Say I were to shoot for the Platinum Status - taste - road - what have you. And say I end up hitting 7 nights out of the 9 in the challenge. Since I hit at least 6, would I at least get the Gold Status carried out to/through 2016?

Thanks
Please report back if you were offered the Platinum challenge. It has been a while since the last report on Platinum challenge offer.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hoorayb33r
I have been searching endlessly for the answer. Say I were to shoot for the Platinum Status - taste - road - what have you. And say I end up hitting 7 nights out of the 9 in the challenge. Since I hit at least 6, would I at least get the Gold Status carried out to/through 2016?

Thanks
If you don't think you'll hit the 9 but would get to 6, just go for the Gold challenge. There's not a huge dif btwn Gold & Plat in terms of bennies. The way the challenges work is it's all or nothing.

Cheers.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by valdor
I received an email from Marriott today offering me the gold status if I stay 12 nights before December. I haven't stayed with Marriott in the last year so I guess that is why they sent me the offer. The timing is convenient as I have an upcoming stay in Bangalore in November and was able to move it to the local Fairfield for about 850$ for the 12 nights. Have any of you guys stayed there?
any idea if i book multiple room, will it count as multiple nights?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Please report back if you were offered the Platinum challenge. It has been a while since the last report on Platinum challenge offer.
I called to asked for Platinum challenge early August and finished 9 stays last week. Got my status changed to Platinum right after the 9th stay got posted.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by lingzhou
I called to asked for Platinum challenge early August and finished 9 stays last week. Got my status changed to Platinum right after the 9th stay got posted.
That's cool. Are you a new member? If not, how was your stay history with Marriott?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Premier, Emerald Club, United
Does anyone know if Elite Nights credited to the account via $3k spending on your Marriott Premier card count towards the challenge?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by BLTO
Does anyone know if Elite Nights credited to the account via $3k spending on your Marriott Premier card count towards the challenge?
I don't think so. It has to be BIB (butt in bed).

On a dif note. I got my friend signed up for Gold & explained to him that if he could he should switch hotels on his 2-night stays, and he just emailed me to say he did that for next week ^ Alas, his 2nd stay is at a CY moving over from FS - will need to explain to him that since there was another FS in the area that would have been better. Baby steps, baby steps.

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Just called the MR desk and requested the Platinum Challenge. They gave me the remainder of this month plus three full months to make nine stays. Status will automatically update to Platinum after the 9th stay is booked.

Representative made sure to let me know that I can't do this "every year." My last challenge was a little more than two years ago.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
I just asked for a challenge and was refused: "We reserve Elite challenges for members who will be able to maintain the status in the future."

I am not sure how they know whether I will be able to maintain the status in the future or not - I find the response quite pretentious.

The problem with 'challenges' is that they can work both ways for a chain: they can serve to get/retain a customer and make him a loyal revenue-generating client, or alienate a potential customer to the point of no return.

The latter happened to me in this case. I won't consider Marriott anymore thanks to their refusal.

Before someone mentions that, if I want the benefits, I should stay the required number of nights: I agree if we are talking about customer retention purposes.

But for customer acquisition purposes (like in this case), asking someone who already spends many nights in hotels, to start from scratch, imho is not a good customer acquisition strategy. Actually, it is a really poor strategy.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by DoctorK
Just called the MR desk and requested the Platinum Challenge. They gave me the remainder of this month plus three full months to make nine stays. Status will automatically update to Platinum after the 9th stay is booked.

Representative made sure to let me know that I can't do this "every year." My last challenge was a little more than two years ago.
DoctorK you're stuff on the left says you are Marriott Platinum. Is that true? Because I thought if you were Platinum you couldn't do the challenge until you lost the status (??)
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by JamesEaston
DoctorK you're stuff on the left says you are Marriott Platinum. Is that true? Because I thought if you were Platinum you couldn't do the challenge until you lost the status (??)
He might have forgotten to change his status on the FT listing/profile.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by josep
I just asked for a challenge and was refused: "We reserve Elite challenges for members who will be able to maintain the status in the future."

I am not sure how they know whether I will be able to maintain the status in the future or not - I find the response quite pretentious.

The problem with 'challenges' is that they can work both ways for a chain: they can serve to get/retain a customer and make him a loyal revenue-generating client, or alienate a potential customer to the point of no return.

The latter happened to me in this case. I won't consider Marriott anymore thanks to their refusal.

Before someone mentions that, if I want the benefits, I should stay the required number of nights: I agree if we are talking about customer retention purposes.

But for customer acquisition purposes (like in this case), asking someone who already spends many nights in hotels, to start from scratch, imho is not a good customer acquisition strategy. Actually, it is a really poor strategy.
I was initially refused the Platinum challenge as well. Based on my history of stays, or lack thereof, I only qualified for the Silver challenge. I talked my way up to Gold and ultimately Platinum. I kept stressing that I would easily reach the 9 stays (within 9 weeks) and was switching my business from SPG to Marriott.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by missxmelon
Apologies if this question has already been answered; this thread is pretty long, and I didn't read through all of it.

I called and signed up for the Platinum challenge (complete 9 stays between now and end of November). Will this appear on my account somehow and/or will I receive an email confirmation? I just want to be sure I have a paper trail showing that I'm signed up!

Thanks.

Edit: To clarify, I didn't get the "Taste of Gold/Platinum," just the normal Platinum challenge.
I called to confirm my participation in the Platinum challenge, despite nothing showing up on my account / not receiving an email. I was told I was indeed enrolled and that this does not show up on one's account.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I called a week ago and asked for the platinum challenge. They said because I was silver I could only request a "one level up"challenge for gold. I attempted to explain that I was gold with hilton and my choice was to either switch my business to marriott or just stay at hilton and go for their diamond level. And that I would switch business for marriott if they would do a platinun challenge. Which he declined.

Do I call back and talk to another rep?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Ceres; Sep 13, 2014 at 12:24 pm Reason: Siri can't spell

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.