Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Apologies if this question has already been answered; this thread is pretty long, and I didn't read through all of it.

I called and signed up for the Platinum challenge (complete 9 stays between now and end of November). Will this appear on my account somehow and/or will I receive an email confirmation? I just want to be sure I have a paper trail showing that I'm signed up!

Thanks.

Edit: To clarify, I didn't get the "Taste of Gold/Platinum," just the normal Platinum challenge.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I received an email from Marriott today offering me the gold status if I stay 12 nights before December. I haven't stayed with Marriott in the last year so I guess that is why they sent me the offer. The timing is convenient as I have an upcoming stay in Bangalore in November and was able to move it to the local Fairfield for about 850$ for the 12 nights. Have any of you guys stayed there?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by valdor
I received an email from Marriott today offering me the gold status if I stay 12 nights before December. I haven't stayed with Marriott in the last year so I guess that is why they sent me the offer. The timing is convenient as I have an upcoming stay in Bangalore in November and was able to move it to the local Fairfield for about 850$ for the 12 nights. Have any of you guys stayed there?
Is the offer expire 30nov or 31dec. My offer ends 30nov.

I have 5 nights booking in bali end sept. marriott really tempts me le.

Not sure if I do any master run for 7 nights. Any idea where is the cheap Marriott brand nearby SIN, other than Renaissance Johor Bahru and Marriott Putrajaya.

Any one stay at the later hotel?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:03 am

You could get LNF rate at Ren KL, just got one at the price of RM 290 including tax. You might wanna fly to Bangkok? Courtyard Bangkok is under USD 90 including tax by LNF as well.

Originally Posted by lingua101

Not sure if I do any master run for 7 nights. Any idea where is the cheap Marriott brand nearby SIN, other than Renaissance Johor Bahru and Marriott Putrajaya.

Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
You could get LNF rate at Ren KL, just got one at the price of RM 290 including tax. You might wanna fly to Bangkok? Courtyard Bangkok is under USD 90 including tax by LNF as well.
You can also fly to India cheaply from SIN. Lots of Marriotts under 100SGD over there and I don't think you need a visa if you are a Singaporean citizen.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by lingua101

Same here, November 30th.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
If going to Bangkok, the Renaissance around the corner from the CY is often only U$D20-ish more to mix things up. I really like the CY but love the Renaissance.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by valdor
You can also fly to India cheaply from SIN. Lots of Marriotts under 100SGD over there and I don't think you need a visa if you are a Singaporean citizen.
No I was told it is still better to get Visa to India beforehand. That's what I was told by the AI girl when I was asking about stopover in DEL
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:48 pm

I cannot fiund RM290 inclusive of tax for Ren KL. The best price I saw is RM360++ with 20% discount on 2nd and 3rd night (min 3 nights req)

I am planning for 3 nights stay in JW Marriott Surabaya. The price is around USD 90++
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:31 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It should be noted that the consecutive 1-night stays can't be at the same property as Marriott considers that a single stay. So if you're doing the CY skip a night inbtwn or switch to a dif property.
If you're looking for a quick way to get the stays as well (and have some financial leeway), you can book multiple one-nights at different hotels all on the same night.

Did it last year in south Austin, where they have a Marriott / Fairfield / SpringHill / Residence / Courtyard all next to each other. Stayed at the Marriott, while paying for rooms in the Springhill and Fairfield. Then moved to Courtyard the next night, while paying for RI. Bam, 5 stays in two nights, on $99 rates
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Absolute
If you're looking for a quick way to get the stays as well (and have some financial leeway), you can book multiple one-nights at different hotels all on the same night.

Did it last year in south Austin, where they have a Marriott / Fairfield / SpringHill / Residence / Courtyard all next to each other. Stayed at the Marriott, while paying for rooms in the Springhill and Fairfield. Then moved to Courtyard the next night, while paying for RI. Bam, 5 stays in two nights, on $99 rates
I wouldn't always count on this. I've done a hotel reservation at two different hotels before on the same night, and even was able to prove I personally paid for both rooms and personally checked in and when asking for credit, Marriott said it was against their T&C and could only grant the points for the second hotel, but not an elite night. Just FYI - I checked the terms and it doesn't clearly state this, but the language is general enough to defend them against this.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:48 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by missxmelon
Apologies if this question has already been answered; this thread is pretty long, and I didn't read through all of it.

I called and signed up for the Platinum challenge (complete 9 stays between now and end of November). Will this appear on my account somehow and/or will I receive an email confirmation? I just want to be sure I have a paper trail showing that I'm signed up!
No, only if you're automatically enrolled in a Taste challenge (which can be a bad thing). If you call in and request a normal challenge, it's purely manual. Had one myself last year, and was told that my account would be monitored occasionally for the completion of it.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I just had my friend signed up for the Road to Challenge. 6 stays by the end of November. It's being manually tracked.

Cheers.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:57 am

I have been searching endlessly for the answer. Say I were to shoot for the Platinum Status - taste - road - what have you. And say I end up hitting 7 nights out of the 9 in the challenge. Since I hit at least 6, would I at least get the Gold Status carried out to/through 2016?

Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by hoorayb33r
I have been searching endlessly for the answer. Say I were to shoot for the Platinum Status - taste - road - what have you. And say I end up hitting 7 nights out of the 9 in the challenge. Since I hit at least 6, would I at least get the Gold Status carried out to/through 2016?

Thanks
No, it doesn't work like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.