Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, US, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sdsearch
How many nights are in your account already? In other words, how far are you requalifying for Platinum the normal way?

The meeting will count toward the normal way, not toward this special way that the email gave you, which is why need your full information.
Currently at 43 nights. So probably no problems hitting gold. To renew Plat the normal way would take 32 nights versus the 20 nights offer.

I guess that your suggestion is that I book 3 meetings plus the nights I already plan to stay in order to renew Plat the normal way. I hadn't thought of that. That might be worthwhile.

Any thoughts on cheap stays or other alternatives for meeting the 20 night offer?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, US, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mindrisa
The ten nights per meeting will NOT work for the Platinum Challenge.
Is this documented somewhere? The email I received is silent on this issue.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by PT22064
Is this documented somewhere? The email I received is silent on this issue.
It's common knowledge, for any promotions only BIB nights count, so no credit card, meeting, anual birthday etc.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PT22064
Currently at 43 nights. So probably no problems hitting gold. To renew Plat the normal way would take 32 nights versus the 20 nights offer.

I guess that your suggestion is that I book 3 meetings plus the nights I already plan to stay in order to renew Plat the normal way. I hadn't thought of that. That might be worthwhile.

Any thoughts on cheap stays or other alternatives for meeting the 20 night offer?
I presume you already have the Marriott Premier Visa from Chase and that at least 15 of your nights are from that?

(Because if not, getting that, and having 15 nights drop into your account, would lower the normal 32 nights to 17, whidh would less than the 20 of the promo!)

I still don't understand which benefit(s) of Plat over Gold you would find worth doing a bunch of mattress runs (unnecessary cheap stays just to get Plat renewed) for. If you "throw away" $800 on 10 $80 nights you don't need, will you get that back in the difference between Gold and Plat next year?

I can tell you how to get $50ish/night in Southern California, but if you're not going to be there that doesn't help. I don't know if you can get $50ish/night near you or not. (But even then, is "throwing away" $500 on 10 $50 nights still worth it?)
Old Oct 17, 2013, 3:28 pm
Suspended

I presume you already have the Marriott Premier Visa from Chase and that at least 15 of your nights are from that?

(Because if not, getting that, and having 15 nights drop into your account, would lower the normal 32 nights to 17, whidh would less than the 20 of the promo!)

I still don't understand which benefit(s) of Plat over Gold you would find worth doing a bunch of mattress runs (unnecessary cheap stays just to get Plat renewed) for. If you "throw away" $800 on 10 $80 nights you don't need, will you get that back in the difference between Gold and Plat next year?

I can tell you how to get $50ish/night in Southern California, but if you're not going to be there that doesn't help. I don't know if you can get $50ish/night near you or not. (But even then, is "throwing away" $500 on 10 $50 nights still worth it?)
And if they already have the CC then they stayed at most 28 nights (43 - 15) thats < 3 nights per month, and assuming they spent < $3k on the CC (every $3k is 1 night credit) My pt is if a person is staying so little why spend the $$ to be Plat? and even more so if their nights arent at Mars or Rens or JWs. Even 3 meetings will be apx $300 and dont know if they will get much back

But if having top status is what a person wants,then I guess go for it
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by HealthyAcademic
Honestly. Is Plat really worth it?
Good point. I am at 65 nights and will probably get a couple more from MR card, but that leaves me a bit short. I just made lifetime Gold (no formal notification yet) and I am thinking that is just fine. Free wifi is the major benefit for me. Upgrades are just not that important to me, although it's nice when it happens.

Question: On a reward stay in Paris, I paid 100 euros per night to guarantee an upgrade. I have considered asking if they might credit me for those nights since I paid more than the rate for stays at many Marriott properties. I know the rules state "no" but has anyone else tried this approach?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I did the exact same thing this summer and when I had to deal with the points not getting credited for the 100/night charge they were very specific in stating that they would fix it but there would be NO elite stay credits

Took 4 weeks and 4 tries to fix itoo
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond

+1, can't possibly see how Plat is worth the extra $500 out of pocket.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeAAttle

Question: On a reward stay in Paris, I paid 100 euros per night to guarantee an upgrade. I have considered asking if they might credit me for those nights since I paid more than the rate for stays at many Marriott properties. I know the rules state "no" but has anyone else tried this approach?
wouldnt waste my time, its no different then having spent $100s a day in the hotels restaurant and asking for stay credit on an award stay. Just not gonna happen If you dont pay an earning rate for a room = no night credit no matter how much a person drops in other charges at the hotel when on a award stay w/o any meeting or function taking place
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by craz
wouldnt waste my time, its no different then having spent $100s a day in the hotels restaurant and asking for stay credit on an award stay. Just not gonna happen If you dont pay an earning rate for a room = no night credit no matter how much a person drops in other charges at the hotel when on a award stay w/o any meeting or function taking place
Good point and good advice, which I will follow. Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:25 am

Platinum challenge

Any updates on if Platinum challenge is still given? or is it closed as reported by few of users
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:46 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
i think nothing new yet. Still not possible to do a match.

But if you want the newest update just send a request
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I've just been given gold which I get to retain after 6 stays but I needed to prove I'd stayed 50ish nights at other hotels this year - they were very strict about needing evidence before they let me have this.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ChrisH
I've just been given gold which I get to retain after 6 stays but I needed to prove I'd stayed 50ish nights at other hotels this year - they were very strict about needing evidence before they let me have this.
Did you call Marriott and ask for a status match or challenge? Did you send them the proof of the 50ish nights at another hotel?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GoingMyWay
Did you call Marriott and ask for a status match or challenge? Did you send them the proof of the 50ish nights at another hotel?
E-mailed and they insisted on seeing my Hilton statements and Club Quarters to provide I'd done the required time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.