Search

Hollins Hall - free Plat brekkie?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Hollins Hall - free Plat brekkie?

Folks,
Hollins Hall nr Leeds is classified (named) as a Country Club - for the purposes of a free plat breakfast - does this make it a resort and thus exempt?

... I was thinking of using one of my Cat 4 certs - but as there is a rate for £68 which includes breakfast for 2 it would really not be worth using a cert if I then had to stump up for brekkie

PS I know I am getting marginal bang for buck on my cert - just opportunities to use it are slipping away....
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Marriott's website lists "0" resort hotels in the UK so I guess you're "safe"

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/resort.hotels/

Originally Posted by yorkshire exile
Folks,
Hollins Hall nr Leeds is classified (named) as a Country Club - for the purposes of a free plat breakfast - does this make it a resort and thus exempt?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If you stay there, if you could do a 'trip report' post-stay, it would help your fellow FTers that might be interested in that property/want an update.

Cheers.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by yorkshire exile
Folks,

... I was thinking of using one of my Cat 4 certs - but as there is a rate for £68 which includes breakfast for 2 it would really not be worth using a cert if I then had to stump up for brekkie

PS I know I am getting marginal bang for buck on my cert - just opportunities to use it are slipping away....
Stayed at the Dalmahoy last year and it is also listed as a Country Club - as Gold at the time we were comped breakfast in the restaurant as there is no concierge lounge.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
I've also stayed at Breadsall Priory and Worsley Park - both of which are Country Clubs and have had comp breakfast in the restaurant at a weekend (neither has a lounge).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I have stayed at Hollins Hall as a plat several times over the past 4 or 5 years and have always been comped breakfast...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
I've also stayed at the Breadsall Priory & Country Club, but only comped brekkie for myself (charged 16-pounds for my wife - expensive coffee!)

Originally Posted by GlennTheBaker
I've also stayed at Breadsall Priory and Worsley Park - both of which are Country Clubs and have had comp breakfast in the restaurant at a weekend (neither has a lounge).
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
.....she wants to go somewhere else.....

some quiet b&b in the middle of nowhere, so we can get p1$$ wet through just going to the pub and sit around all weekend watching the roofs blow off the local houses - does she not realise it is hurricane season ooop north .... whilst I pay good money for an inferior product

ho hum - no wonder I never use my chuffin certs
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Singapore Airlines Gold and a bunch of others
stayed there in November and had free breakfast
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Notes from a recent stay, Marriott Platinum :

First impressions were coloured by a big banner under the sign at the front gate promoting Easter Sunday lunch, which was already several days in the past.

Nice grounds and impressive country-house façade.

The brass plaque in the foyer announcing the 1998 opening accurately dates the style and décor, which haven't changed since.

Checkin fast and friendly. Offered a choice of points or breakfast. No extra benefits such as drinks vouchers in lieu of a lounge.

Room upgraded from Deluxe to Superior.

The colour scheme is either 'a rich palette of country house tones' or 'Marriott old persons home brown & beige', depending on your viewpoint.

The view out of the room window to the "200 acres of grounds" would have been nice, had they not built it right next to a muddy, grassy bank.

Bedding very comfortable.

Wi-Fi fast and reliable

No aircon : a hot water radiator, and an opening window, and a fan in the wardrobe is all you get.

Coffee/tea facilities meagre : only 1 portion of each per person.

No power outlets anywhere near the bedside tables. Double power & USB above the (small) desk.

Multiple TripAdvisor reviews complain of noise from adjacent rooms, and indeed the noises of housekeeping servicing the room next door could be heard. The hotel seems alert to this deficiency, as the many "Shush" signs outside in the corridors attest.

Health club has a decent-sized pool and Jacuzzi, but the black mould over the ceilings in the showers suggested a deep clean was long overdue.

Breakfast quality was fine, service less so. The host was directing guests to their table with a brusque "Sit there, help yourself", and the waiter managed to completely miss serving tea/coffee to more than 1 table, and went about his other business avoiding the guests at the tealess tables who were trying to catch his eye. Oh, and this was the splendid table floral arrangement.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 13, 2018 at 4:46 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:01 am
phb

Stay there often, always had a free breakfast as Plat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.