Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bonvoy points awarded on parking-inclusive packages rates at airport hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

I had a recent stay at an airport hotel on a package rate which included 15 days parking in the roomrate.

When the stay posted, the number of points awarded was about half the number that would normally be expected on the pre-tax roomrate.

I know that the T&Cs "parking" is excluded from points earning, so I am assuming there has been an internal adjustment to only award points on the "room" element of the rate.

As it's a package rate there's no split between "room" and "parking" - so I'm not able to check whether the number of points I got was correct or not.

What are others experiences of these packing package rates ? Should I be getting the points on the full rate, or is it 'OK' for Marriott to short points for an arbitrary and unpublished internal allocation of part of the rate to parking ?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
My guess would be you’re probably reading too much into this - most likely is it’s just Marriott’s points being screwed up again.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Marriott’s points being screwed up again.
As the hotel failed to email the folio as promised, and as Bonvoy fails to show the folio online, I am open to that possibility too …
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
The last few times, a couple airport Westins, a Manhattan hotel and suburban Marriott with a parking charge, that I've either done a parking package rate, room and plus 7 or 14 nights parking, at an airport hotel or the hotel parking was on the folio and not operated by an outside vendor I have had no reduction in either base points or elite bonus more hotel category credit card points. i.e. I've earned 23.5x on the folio with no deduction except for Taxes.,
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:01 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
While I haven't stayed at any post-Merge Marriott's on packaged rates, I have done so pre-Merge. Back then, it was very common for hotels to remove what they felt was the value of package "extras". Unfortunately, it has always been up to the hotel to decide what they felt that "value" was.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by hhoope01
While I haven't stayed at any post-Merge Marriott's on packaged rates, I have done so pre-Merge. Back then, it was very common for hotels to remove what they felt was the value of package "extras". Unfortunately, it has always been up to the hotel to decide what they felt that "value" was.
though I wasn’t primarily a Starwood patron, all of my stays with parking packages have been mostly with a couple Westins and one aloft. With a Marriott it’s been a daily parking charge. In neither case has it been removed from the calculation of points. Marriott hotels might have handled their airport hotel parking packages differently.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It wouldn't surprise me if points weren't awarded for those places where parking is contracted out to a separate business, in a way similar to how charges at restaurants that are just tenants in the hotel have been treated. However, if it's included in a rate plan or package, I would expect to see the points since the guest can't be expected to guess what part of the charges will be allocated to the outside service.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
The two or three I’ve used (including one 3 weeks ago) have given full points on the PKF rate. They also “ran” their own lots, which usually meant sticking a form on the dashboard with my return date or giving them make/model/plate and return date to note in a log.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

So reporting back ....

Marriott Customer service came back within a few hours of my query ( ^ ) and said that the stay had been reposted with the base points calculated on “net revenue”. Base points went up from 993 to 1,542 (which is the number I expected) so I was shorted by 36%.

1) This confirms that Airport hotel parking packages are credited at the paid rate.

2) This was a Marriott heartland hotel (the one that isn’t a dump anymore, [hmmm....]), not one of those upstart Starwoods with system interfaces built from string and rubber bands. No integration excuse then. Symptoms are the same as reported here Check your base points on stay activity back in March.

Is Marriott really still routinely shorting UK stay credits by 30-40%, over 6 months after the issue was identified ?
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.