Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certificate expiration

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2011, 1:54 am

The certificate I was planning to use today (12/31) just disappeared from my account before I could use it.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Moriens
The certificate I was planning to use today (12/31) just disappeared from my account before I could use it.
Call the reservation line and see what they can do.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Call the reservation line and see what they can do.
I did, and they found the certificate, so I guess it's merely another website problem.

Thanks, njcommodore! You saved me over a hundred bucks!

(Maybe the website doesn't show certificates if the expiration date is less than or equal to today's date, when they should be using strictly less than. Or it could be related to the problems in this thread.)
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:50 pm
RNE

Can I Get My Free Cat 4 Night on the Expiration Date?

I have a Marriott credit card that gives me a free category 4 hotel night. The reward expiration date is 02/10/2012, which happens to be a special date to my wife and me. Can I get my free night on the 10th or has it expired by then?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
using it on the 10th is OK, but go ahead and make your online reservation and you can check it out foir yourself as it will confirm using the online cert

Originally Posted by RNE
I have a Marriott credit card that gives me a free category 4 hotel night. The reward expiration date is 02/10/2012, which happens to be a special date to my wife and me. Can I get my free night on the 10th or has it expired by then?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:18 am
RNE

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
using it on the 10th is OK, but go ahead and make your online reservation and you can check it out foir yourself as it will confirm using the online cert
Well, that's part of the problem. While I can see the "Visa free night category 1-4 hotels" certificate in my Account Activity page, I don't see any certificate number nor exactly how I would apply said certificate to a hotel stay. Thus I cannot conduct the test you suggest. What am I missing?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by RNE
Well, that's part of the problem. While I can see the "Visa free night category 1-4 hotels" certificate in my Account Activity page, I don't see any certificate number nor exactly how I would apply said certificate to a hotel stay. Thus I cannot conduct the test you suggest. What am I missing?
Yes, a stay on the expiration date will work-I just did one last week with an expiring one.

Go through the booking as usual as if you were using MR points. At one point during the booking, the certificate will show and you will be prompted for confirmation that you want it to be used for the reservation.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:51 am
RNE

Originally Posted by freeflyin
Go through the booking as usual as if you were using MR points. At one point during the booking, the certificate will show and you will be prompted for confirmation that you want it to be used for the reservation.
Worked like a charm! Thank you.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Wish I had seen this earlier - looked yesterday and saw that they took 20,000 points from my account and the certificate is gone too....
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan
Wish I had seen this earlier - looked yesterday and saw that they took 20,000 points from my account and the certificate is gone too....
This has happened to several people who have posted here, including me, although I haven't seen a good explanation of why Marriott seems to do this so often. Call MR and you should get the points back, assuming you used the certificate in time.

(Oh, just saw your post in the other thread. I didn't waste time emailing, just called them, they fixed it right away.)

Last edited by kar120c; Jan 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm Reason: Saw fwfdan post in other thread
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
Question

Does anyone have any luck in getting these extended by 4 months or so? I've got two that expire May 31st but I'd love to be able to use them for a planned weekend vacation in early September. I am plat so I'm hoping they might be a little more willing to extend them. Thanks.
Old May 8, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM; MR Gold
Originally Posted by mclymerne
Does anyone have any luck in getting these extended by 4 months or so?
I have not heard of a 4 month extension, but a Marriott Rewards Desk rep just informed me of a 30 to 60 day extension. Here's the background:

I redeemed a certificate last month for this upcoming weekend (5/11), and when I checked my reservation online today, it stated I do not have enough points to cover my stay (it did not say that prior to today). I called the reservation line and was told that since the cert expired on 5/7 and my reservation is for 5/11, my certificate is no longer valid. The agent transfered me the reward desk and that agent told me the certs will still be honored at least 30 days past expiration, and in some case up to 60 days past expiration - as long as the cert is attached to the reservation. Has anyone else heard of this?
Old May 9, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I received an extension on a cert last year, I don't remember if it was 4 or 6 months. Definitely one of the two.
Old May 9, 2012, 6:32 am
Used to be 'where2next'

Programs: MR Platinum
I have been granted an extension in the past. It is certainly worth calling and making the request. I usually say that I was hoping to use the certificate on my way to a future Marriott Vacation Club stay. They seem to agree if it seems like I want to use the certificate in a way that will generate more Marriott income.
Old May 9, 2012, 7:29 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by where2next
It is certainly worth calling and making the request.
I definitely agree with this, but don't expect that Marriott will bend the rules every time or specifically for your situation.

There seems to be enough anectdotal evidence that an extension is possible, but that doesn't mean every agent will do it or that specific agents will do it every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.