Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Fran - Marriott Maquis or Union Square

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo

Hi All,

I tried to peruse the lengthy SF thread, but it's tough to follow with people chiming in on non-Marriott hotels.

My wife and I currently have a reservation at the Courtyard Downtown - we used a rewards travel package. We're now considering spending an extra 30,000 points (next travel package up) to upgrade our week long stay to the Marquis or Union Square Marriott.

Our reason for the switch is mostly for free breakfast. We figured free breakfast would save us ~$125 for the week and more if the lounge is open on the weekend (seems like this may be true for the Marquis).

So our questions are:
- What's the major difference between the two hotels - appears they're in the same location?
- Would you upgrade to save money on breakfast each day?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
If breakfast is a key criteria, yes I would upgrade as the Courtyard, while a very nice property, does not offer free breakfast (it's rather pricey as well), and it's not in a location that is near places to obtain breakfast.

The Union Square property is new (to Marriott) and is in the middle of the shopping/restaurant/Union Square area. My wife and I stayed there over a weekend last year and found the hotel to be comfortable and the staff to be excellent. They don't offer free breakfast on weekends but of course it's available in the CL for Golds/Plats during the week. I asked for a room with a view as we had a great room with a nice view of the SF Bay. The hotel to us had more of a personalized feel.

The Marques is also a very good hotel, with great staff. It's a much larger hotel and feels more like a convention hotel with a lot of business guests. It's not quite in the same location with all the restaurants and shopping, but it's only a few short blocks away. According to recent (December, 2011) posts the CL is open on weekends now for a trial basis.

Both hotels treat guests great, each has it's own style, and maybe the CL is open at the Marquis on weekends. The room view from the Union Square hotel is great if you can snag one. Parking is outrageous at either hotel; if you must have a car look for an independent garage near the hotel, they are slightly less costly. If you want a cheap breakfast and a sugar high that will last all day go down to Happy Donuts on 3rd - across from the ballpark and grab an Apple Fritter

Enjoy - it's a great city.

Bruce
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
I'd recommend the JW. It's only a block from Union Square. The CL was open for us the weekend we stayed there in September. Nice view and very good food. The hotel also treated us well. Parking is outrageous like every other San Fran hotel. Best to ditch the car if possible and use public transport or cabs.

I had originally booked the Marquis for that trip but had read some things that made me decide not to do it.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Liked the Marquis!

We really liked the Marquis. Self parking is very close and cost $32 or $33 a night. We were going to valet park but you have to drive further away to circle around to enter valet area than you do if you self park. Now that we know where the self park is for this hotel, it is a no brainer for us. No in/out privileges, but we had no intention of driving either way.

I thought that i would prefer Union Square, but oddly enough, I liked this location even better. There is a Walgreens and a huge Ross just steps from the hotel. Not to mention a ton of high end shops. Within minutes, you are in Union Square so i ended up liking the location even more and that was a surprise to me.

Lounge was open every day. However, it was so busy in the am that we ended up going elsewhere. The evening snacks were not bad, but it was apparent to me that there is new staff in that lounge. While I don't expect to get a beer for less than the bar would charge, $7.00 for a bottle of locally brewed Anchor Steam, handed to you in the bottle (asked for a beer glass....sorry, no beer glasses in lounge...but I could use a wine glass). For $7.00 a bottle, it would have been nice to have a beer glass, actually, a cold mug would have been more in line for that level of hotel in an executive lounge. No biggie....but I didn't want to assume the service was like this all the time. I do think they had regular staff for the holidays that typically don't work there in the lounge because it was very unorganized and it was obvious it was not "manned."

Exercise room was HUGE. I believe I counted a dozen treadmills and probably 8 ellipticals (unfortunately it wasn't Precor and there simply is no comparison...at least not for ellipticals), so that was definitely a bonus.

Will go back in a heartbeat....probably not during the holidays though.

Dawn
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:04 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
Self parking is very close and cost $32 or $33 a night. We were going to valet park but you have to drive further away to circle around to enter valet area than you do if you self park. Now that we know where the self park is for this hotel, it is a no brainer for us. No in/out privileges, but we had no intention of driving either way.
Can you please explain exactly what parking lot you used, and where exactly was the entrance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.