Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AC Hotel Chicago Downtown [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opens May 29th. Category 7.

http://news.marriott.com/2015/05/ac-...he-public.html

"The AC Hotel Chicago Downtown, owned and managed by Marcus® Hotels & Resorts, will open its doors to guests in the heart of Chicago’s thriving River North neighborhood on May 29. Located on the corner of Rush and Ontario, the AC Hotels by Marriott brand’s first property in Illinois, is part of a new breed of lifestyle hotels targeting millennial and business travelers."

Look forward to a trip report.

Cheers.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Walked by it a couple of weeks ago, it's in a great location for sure. You're near the CTA (Red Line is closest), some great restaurants, The Loop and pretty much all the touristy spots. I also look forward to a TR ^
Old May 29, 2015, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

It better be GREAT (not likely) to justify cat 7 redemption or high hotel rates. Otherwise I'd choose other options.

Cheers
Old May 29, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The AC Hotel Chicago Downtown (which was formerly a Four Points by Sheraton property) has a great location.

Traders Joe's Market is on the ground floor.

The choice of restaurants in the neighborhood is vast. Eataly, the amazing 63,000-sq-ft Italian market and restaurant complex, is just a block to the south (in the former ESPN Zone building).

Richard H Driehaus Museum is a block to north. The Magnificent Mile is block to the east. The Loop and Navy Pier are in walking distance.

At a time when more and more ordinary Courtyard properties are category 6 and 7, the AC Hotel Chicago Downtown at category 7 doesn't seem so bad.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace

At a time when more and more ordinary Courtyard properties are category 6 and 7, the AC Hotel Chicago Downtown at category 7 doesn't seem so bad.
Well that's true. Forgot CYs were creeping up in cats too.

Cheers.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Remember that the AC chain is like CY, no free breakfast even though they have a pretty significant for sale breakfast offering (15 per person).

Based on the category and comparable price to FS, down the block, as an elite, I would skip the AC in Chicago.

Rasheed
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rasheed
Remember that the AC chain is like CY, no free breakfast even though they have a pretty significant for sale breakfast offering (15 per person).

Based on the category and comparable price to FS, down the block, as an elite, I would skip the AC in Chicago.

Rasheed
Unless it's a weekend & you're talking the Marriott Mag Mile, which has its exec lounge closed & no breakfast offering - just 1,000 points. Then it could be a toss-up (and my guess is the AC rooms are nicer than the old, tired FS ones). If you're talking another FS, then perhaps. And if someone is not a breakfast person, then no free brekkie might not matter as much to them.

Still looking forward to the first trip report.

Cheers.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Unless it's a weekend & you're talking the Marriott Mag Mile, which has its exec lounge closed & no breakfast offering - just 1,000 points. Then it could be a toss-up (and my guess is the AC rooms are nicer than the old, tired FS ones). If you're talking another FS, then perhaps. And if someone is not a breakfast person, then no free brekkie might not matter as much to them.

Still looking forward to the first trip report.

Cheers.
The FS is renovating their rooms though and they do look nice. They will begin lobby renovations in the next 2-3 months too
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
AC Chicago Downtown

I stayed at this hotel for two nights about a week ago. The location is great- lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. The room has a modern design- like the wood floor as it just feels a bit cleaner to me than the carpet that's been walked on by everyone else. Robe and slippers were a nice touch, although I did not like the fact that they give you a plastic package with 3 tissues in it instead of a box like most other hotels. The only option for breakfast is the buffet ($15 per person), which is a European style breakfast. It included coffee/tea, juice, bread and croissants, some cold cuts and cheeses, cereal, fruit and what they were calling an egg tart (basically like a quiche)- one with meat and one without. There is a bar and lounge area that serves small plates for dinner but I did not check those out.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report! Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:05 pm

It wasn't clear based on earlier discussions. So, I am going to ask: Is there an executive lounge in this property? Thanks!

alextktan
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by alextktan
It wasn't clear based on earlier discussions. So, I am going to ask: Is there an executive lounge in this property? Thanks!

alextktan
No lounge that I recalled at this property or any other AC property that I have stayed at.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I stayed there a few weeks ago and was interested in checking out the AC brand. I didn't realize it was more of a Fairfield Inn level. The staff was poorly trained and I really had to keep pushing for an upgrade as a PP, and they seemed unaware of any elite levels or upgrades. They said there was a lounge with free tapas for elites when I asked but when I went to the bar area, they said everything was with a charge (and the bar was really empty). The rooms were poorly designed, albeit with a Euro flair.

Interesting concept, questionable design, extremely poor execution. One of my few poor Marriott experiences out of my 200 nights this year.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:36 pm
KRS

Any recent experiences at this property?

Heading to Chicago in October and got good BRG/LNF rates at this property as well as at The Tremont; wondering which one to keep...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by KRS
Any recent experiences at this property?

Heading to Chicago in October and got good BRG/LNF rates at this property as well as at The Tremont; wondering which one to keep...
Stayed there last fall, as (at the time) a Gold I was given an upgrade to a larger room. Room was nice, staff was friendly. I would choose this over a CY at same price point.

If I could get into a full service and get free breakfast/lounge for a similar price I would probably go that route.

I have not stayed at the Tremont but have not heard good things about it.
KRS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.