Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spring 2012 MegaBonus®

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Greetings @imverge and @vickisocal, the Spring 2012 MegaBonus is not tied to a specific credit card so any form of payment is acceptable to earn your MegaBonus.

Andy
Good. Because I am no longer paying with my MR Visa at international properties after getting burned by Dynamic Currency Conversion and a front-desk clerk that outright lied to me by telling me it didn't apply.

I shall be using AmEx or paying cash on departure depending on circumstances.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by walukanis
Is it just me that got an info in the email already? I already registered as a matter of fact too.

Its up to 50k miles, 2k miles for each stay. Similar to the 30k miles promo that was going on recently.
MegaMiles runs from the January 1st and the Spring MebaBonus from February 1st, 2012.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by nacho
OMG I hope it can't be true. The past Megabonus you get 1 free night after 2 stays. So changing it into a BOGO is kind of cheap.

We probably won't go for it if it's the case, no matter whether you have to pay with a specific card or not.

Um, me thinks maybe just maybe the post was sarcastic
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I am no longer paying with my MR Visa at international properties

I shall be using AmEx or paying cash on departure depending on circumstances.
I understand your frustration with foreign Marriot hotels not honoring your request to be charged in local currency (been there) but using Amex will only hurt YOU. MR VISA has no foreign transaction fee. Amex charges 2.7%.

To be sure you are actually charged in foreign currency take a moment to look at the actual credit card receipt (not the hotel's invoice). Toward the bottom, after the approval code: It will say:
ACCOUNT WILL BE DEBITED
TRANS AMOUNT
TOTAL AMOUNT

After both Trans amount and Total amount there will be a foreign exchange code ( for example GBP for British Pounds) and an amount. Be sure BOTH the Trans amount AND Total Amt codes are BOTH the FOREIGN CODE and you will be fine. If not, ask for the Front Desk Manager, express your outrage and ask him to redo the transaction to be billed in foreign currency.

If you forget to do this or are otherwise charged in USD just skype the hotel upon your return home. Ask for the front desk manager and make him reverse the charge and recharge in the hotel's local currency. They will do it and the hotel will incur a charge by their bank for doing the reversal. If these charges add up the hotel's may be less inclined to play this game and more inclined to train their front desk personnel properly.

I travel overseas quite a bit and Marriott is the only chain where I have this problem. And it is a consistent problem at Marriotts.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by fmkgb
I understand your frustration with foreign Marriot hotels not honoring your request to be charged in local currency (been there) but using Amex will only hurt YOU. MR VISA has no foreign transaction fee. Amex charges 2.7%.
I have a regular AmEx Platinum card. AmEx has eliminated foreign transaction fees for the Platinum card. So, no, there will be no cost to me in that regard.

To be sure you are actually charged in foreign currency take a moment to look at the actual credit card receipt (not the hotel's invoice). Toward the bottom, after the approval code: It will say:
ACCOUNT WILL BE DEBITED
TRANS AMOUNT
TOTAL AMOUNT

After both Trans amount and Total amount there will be a foreign exchange code ( for example GBP for British Pounds) and an amount. Be sure BOTH the Trans amount AND Total Amt codes are BOTH the FOREIGN CODE and you will be fine. If not, ask for the Front Desk Manager, express your outrage and ask him to redo the transaction to be billed in foreign currency.
Correct. And in the most recent episode there wasn't time to have that argument. Cab waiting, meter clicking, and flight to catch.

If you forget to do this or are otherwise charged in USD just skype the hotel upon your return home. Ask for the front desk manager and make him reverse the charge and recharge in the hotel's local currency. They will do it and the hotel will incur a charge by their bank for doing the reversal. If these charges add up the hotel's may be less inclined to play this game and more inclined to train their front desk personnel properly.
Not worth the trouble on this one due to the amount (vs. value of my time).
I travel overseas quite a bit and Marriott is the only chain where I have this problem. And it is a consistent problem at Marriotts.
Concur. Next int'l trip is to a country where every Marriott property engages in this behavior.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Is it just me that got an info in the email already? I already registered as a matter of fact too.

Its up to 50k miles, 2k miles for each stay. Similar to the 30k miles promo that was going on recently

Greg
Here is the link for Marriott Rewards MegaMiles, above
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/promotion.mi?promotion=MM12
You must be set to earn miles on one of the 2 dozen or so airlines for this one, instead of points. As mentioned, this runs 1/1/12-4/30/12, not February on, and is 2K miles for each stay after the 2nd stay. Not eligible for elite miles, just bonus miles.

For me, I do NOT want free or BOGO nights on MegaBonus. I want MR points, period.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Q1 is typically the slowest travel period of the year.

Please tell me that MR is finally going to come up with something wondrous and original; in spite of the "Megabonus" name that is being going for eons....

Please not the same old, same old, same old with tiny targeted variations.

Wow--the suspense is killing me!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by libuser
Folks,

I know what the latest Megabonus is already. I have a friend that works in corporate.

Make 2 stays and you will receive a BOGO coupon, but wait there is a catch. LNF are not eligible and you cannot book public rates, only a special rate that is available on the Marriott website.

I have also heard that the bogo rate will be 40% more expensive than the lowest advertised rate and will not be eligible for elite benefits, such as brekkie and lounge.

Excellent promo in my book. Can't wait to register for it.
If that indeed is what's coming down, it sucks! I wouldn't even register. Please tell your friend that.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll be VERY, Very surprised if it is radically different form last year, same period. So far the dates are identical.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:31 pm

Its up to 50k miles, 2k miles for each stay. Similar to the 30k miles promo that was going on recently.
If your preference is set to receive miles then you'll see the 2K miles promo. If your preference is set to receive points then you'll see the bogo promo. You can chane your preference if you prefer the other promo.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wine_lover
If your preference is set to receive miles then you'll see the 2K miles promo. If your preference is set to receive points then you'll see the bogo promo. You can chane your preference if you prefer the other promo.
What BOGO promo? I'm sorry but your post is completely unclear. I don't see any BOGO promo and am set to points. I see the fall/Visa Megabonus, and presumably come Dec. 15 I will see the Winter/Spring Megabonus. That's it.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I'll be VERY, Very surprised if it is radically different form last year, same period. So far the dates are identical.
I have started staying at Marriott Props for only the past 2 years, and it seems the megabonus program is almost always identical. Basically X number of nights or stays, gets Y number of points. Or 2 stays get 1 night at cat 1 to 4 prop, maximum 2 nights. (Which is actually quite decent, except for the fact that 1 to 4 cat props aren't that great. )

Now my question is, have there been any other interesting programs? It seems MR has THE MOST BORING PROGRAM AROUND.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
MR does periodically offer targeted side promos. I recently earned 30,000 points with a 5,000 every second stay promo, which ran roughly concurrently with the fall megabonus.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 3:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
All I'd say is that I'm expecting my usual 50k for 25 stays, the only "interesting/varieties" in these promos seem to happen at the lower levels of stays. Difficult to get that excited though as a result, but a constant accumulator is always appreciated - of course once you get to the 25 nights there isn't much incentive to stay, completely the opposite of Hilton where regular 4stays=1 free night certificate just incentivises you to visit more and more.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by littlevoices
All I'd say is that I'm expecting my usual 50k for 25 stays, the only "interesting/varieties" in these promos seem to happen at the lower levels of stays. Difficult to get that excited though as a result, but a constant accumulator is always appreciated - of course once you get to the 25 nights there isn't much incentive to stay, completely the opposite of Hilton where regular 4stays=1 free night certificate just incentivises you to visit more and more.
Agreed: The last bonus, for me, was stay 2 nights get a Cat 4 cert. Max'd out at 2 free nights. (pay with Visa). I hit that so fast and that was it. Then wait 2 months for the next Megabonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.