FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Best lounge in MD/VA/DC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1283475-best-lounge-md-va-dc.html)

libuser Nov 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Best lounge in MD/VA/DC

So I have 2 Cat4s that expire in a month and a half so I figured to book a hotel where I live and get some brekkie for it, probably will book thursday night. So I have the following options, i.e. that are close to me and don't mind driving to them:

Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Bethesda Marriott
Bethesda Marriott Suites
Greenbelt Marriott
BWI Airport Marriott
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Westfields Marriott Washington Dulles
Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks
Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center
Washington Dulles Marriott Suites
Fairview Park Marriott
Baltimore Marriott Hunt Valley Inn
Washington Dulles Marriott Suites
Newport News Marriott at City Center
Tysons Corner Marriott

I checked the thread and it seems that all of those hotels used to offer coupons but looks like no more. I have only stayed at IAD Marriott and have been given coupons but I had to argue for some time with them, and it was a weekend. So I figure instead of fighting I would just book a thursday.

So for those that have experience which lounge do you folks think is the best in terms of food and/or snacks and breakfast? I guess if the brekkie has salmon, and other expensive items, and if the lounge offers dinner like items I am sold. : )

Mr. Vker Nov 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Marriott Dulles Suites is a great place. We stay there often before flying out internationally. They do not have a lounge. They do give you breakfast in the restaurant. But, not on the weekends.

dave-b Nov 22, 2011 7:22 pm

I find that Tysons lounge is better than the Fairview Park, but neither are special. The last time I was up on the weekend Tysons did offer coupons, but YMMV.

flyerwife Nov 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Bethesda North has a great lounge ^

TrojanHorse May 8, 2014 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyerwife (Post 17501292)
Bethesda North has a great lounge ^

I wanted to bump this thread for some recent updates in Gaithersburg or Bethesda

My son has a Baseball tournament over Memorial Day weekend in Olney MD and I have some Cat 1-5 certs to burn before expiration in June. I was looking for some recent lounge or breakfast comments in these two towns

If all else fails we will stay at the Res Inn Gaithersburg as I know it has breakfast and that is the main criteria here for me. Gaithersburg is a bit more of a preference as its only about 7 miles from Olney (according to Marriotts site) while Bethesda is a bit further.

FYI, Courtyards are out of the question. I'd stay home before I would stay in a CY

happymommy May 9, 2014 3:13 am

I used to live in Olney (now just 10 minutes away)!

You can look at the Marriott in Gaithersburg at Washingtonian Center too if you want. We used to enjoy going to that area to walk around the nice lake and eat at the restaurants there. Never been to the hotel though.

If you do, avoid at all cost Lakeforest Mall. It used to be nice 15 years ago, but has gone way downhill and I wouldn't step foot in there now.

dcchi May 9, 2014 9:07 am

I would second the vote for the Bethesda North Marriott. I stayed there a couple of months ago with my family and the lounge was excellent (for a US property). If you are considering any of the Bethesda/Gaithersburg Marriott hotels, this is the one I'd choose (at least, that was what I was deciding over, after reading various reviews and such, decided on this one, and was very happy about it). There is a charge for parking (on some days--it was weird, I think it's only on days when there are events in the attached conference center), but I think there is a charge for the other Bethesda FS hotels (though not the Gaithersburg ones. The hotel is relatively new and in excellent condition. White Flint metro station literally across the street (after walking through the parking lot).

nacho May 9, 2014 10:14 am

Dulles Airport Marriott has a great lounge, nice food that you can use it as dinner. Breakfast at the lounge was good too - fresh fruit with strawberries, hot items are nice too. This lounge is better than some European and Asian properties IMO.

TrojanHorse May 9, 2014 11:13 am

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 22837671)
Dulles Airport Marriott has a great lounge, nice food that you can use it as dinner. Breakfast at the lounge was good too - fresh fruit with strawberries, hot items are nice too. This lounge is better than some European and Asian properties IMO.

I live near IAD so I was looking specifically at the Bethesda and even more specifically the Gaithersburg properties for the tournament my son is playing in.

I'll go back and look at Bethesda North again and see how far it is to Olney as well

Since I'll be there on the long weekend, I am guessing I will be getting the B/F certs for the restaurant which is no big deal as long as they open early enough on Saturday or Sunday when we could be playing (TBD) as early as 8 a.m.