Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help me plan a trip to Oahu, Hawaii?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me plan a trip to Oahu, Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
If you are a platinum or gold member, it is different. In assessing the worthiness of this deal, I am assuming that if you are not platinum or gold and not guaranteed any upgrades of any sort. For people who don't travel that often, this could be a good deal, and this group of people is much larger than number who are platinum or gold. FT is not representative of the general public in that the percentage of elite members on here is much higher than the actual percentage in the public.

Even the promotion rates assume that you are a Marriott Rewards member, but it is highly likely that many people who stay at a Marriott are not members. On Marriott's website, the pages for potential Marriott franchisees show that Marriott members make up about half of all the customers at FS Marriott properties. I even heard one employee ask a guest today if she wanted to join Marriott Rewards to earn points. For someone who is a Costco member but does not belong to Marriott, the packages provide a better price than the best available rate, which is often at least $40/day higher.

Of course, we can say that it is obvious that everyone should sign up for every mileage and frequent stay program that they could possibly use, but if everyone thought like that, the airlines and hotels would not be spending as much time, effort and money to get people to sign up.

It is hard to say a Costco membership is worthwhile solely for this deal, but I think it would be hard to argue that Costco membership is worthless in general. I know some people in the S.P.A.M. forum have been quite pleased with the McCormick & Schmick's cookbook and gift card packages available at Costco.

I don't go for packages because they don't provide a good deal since you can't build up elite status and earn points and miles. Some people, however, want to make one call and get everything set for a vacation. For those people, the idea of plugging in promotion codes and conducting multiple searches for flights, rooms, and rentals cars sounds less like fun and more like agony.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
Marriotts- Waikiki Beach or JWM Ilihani?

My DW and I will be in HI from November 25 to December 3. We plan to stay at Marriott - but are trying to decide whether to stay at the JW Marriott Ilihani or the Marriott Waikiki Beach. . . the delta for points is 35K more at the JW Marriott, plus it is 17 miles from Honolulu, but it looks lovely. Not going to Golf, hoping to spend a ton of time on the beach, and doing some island sightseeing. . .

Any thoughts about which would be nicer for the two of us??
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: US DM, UA MP
Hello. While I can't offer any advice on the Waikiki Beach Marriott, I can give you some perspective on the JW as I stayed there in February.

Overall, I thought it was a great hotel (the disclaimer to that, however, is that I'm pretty easy to please). We knew going in that it was not particularly near Honolulu/Waikiki - which is precisely why we chose it over the Waikiki Beach property, if memory serves me correctly. We were aiming for something more "out of the way". Here are some comments:

-The hotel seems to be in a developing area. While there was lots of construction going on around the actual property, we NEVER heard it (we were in a beachfront room).
-I found the rooms to be of a good size - the bathrooms were notably large and featured both a shower and a soaking tub.
-I also liked the fact that the beach had a very "private" feel to it.
-We didn't use the spa services at all, so I can't offer any insight on that.
-We only ate there once, and I can't for the life of me recall the name of the restaurant (I believe there are three on site). I do remember that I had fish for the main course, and that it was very good.

I hope this helps - if you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a PM!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:48 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the Marriott Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: Continental Plat/MM, Marriott Gold
We have stayed at the JW several times and the beach club in Ko Olina but have also stayed downtown but not at the Marriott (Hilton Hawaiian Village). I understand the Marriott is not on the beach but across the street. A big factor in your decision is in the location and what you want to do and preferences. JW is remote and it's a real pain to get to Honolulu but a great resort. For years we stayed at the JW because we wanted to avoid Honolulu being a city and more congested. JW and KoOlina were great for R&R but for our last trip and one we're planning for next summer we prefer Honolulu. More restaurant choices, night life and activities but it's also a city with the associated traffic, noise, etc. Being our fist stop after a long flight and 6hrs off in time it was a great location to be up early and stroll the beach and city and adjust.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
I have never stayed at either hotel, but I can comment on the locations.

Waikiki is a place you have to see if you've never been to Hawaii. However, it is also a very congested, kitschy, noisy place, so I would never want to be there 24/7. I always have the most fun when staying away from the crowds - whether that be in a condo in Kailua or Haliewa, or for you, at the Ko Olina - and then going to Waikiki once or twice during the week as needed. However, if you're someone who has to be in the middle of it all and/or don't like the idea of having to drive to get there, you would be better off on Waikiki.

Note also that several of the more popular places on Oahu would be just as accessible from the Ko Olina as from Waikiki. Examples: The North Shore & Haliewa is probably easier to get to from Ko Olina; the Polynesian Cultural Center is a fair distance from both (maybe easier from Waikiki, but not enough to determine where you stay); Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial is probably comparable, etc.

Assuming others confirm that the hotels are anywhere comparable, I'd pick the Ko Olina over the Marriott Waikiki in a heartbeat....
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA, Marriott PLT, Starwood
Can you split your time between them? I like both areas, and have stayed at the Marriott Waikiki, and have visited the JW and stayed at the Ko Olina timeshare 1/2 mile away. Ko Olina, with its man made lagoons, is a beautiful, relaxing and quiet area, for beach walks, snorkeling in the lagoons, etc. We really love it there and stay at least a week at a time. From there, we visit Haleiwa, North Shore, Turtle Bay Resort, etc. But it is a long drive from Waikiki.

What we like to do in Waikiki: the Iolani Palace tour; the Royal Hawaiian Band on the lawn of the Palace at noon on Fridays; Chai's Restaurant at the Aloha Tower Marketplace - any night of the week has outstanding musical performers (see the monthly calendar on their website); also nightly musical performers at the terrace at the Marriott Waikiki (I forgot the name of the open terrace restaurant next to the pool - overlooks the street and view of the ocean); have a drink in the Moana Sheraton patio, on the ocean; drive to the east side of the island for the greener scenery and the road right along the ocean, etc.

If I can work it out, we always stay at least a few days in Waikiki, for the fun, the crowds and the closeness to venues we like.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
As others have said,it depends on what you want to do and what atmosphere you prefer.

I have stayed at the JW Ihilani at least a half dozen times and love it. Spa is awesome, rooms are top notch with luxury amenities including large marble bathrooms with separate shower and soaking tub, separate WC, marble foyers, door bell, marble topped butlers chest in foyer that holds the refrigerator/mini bar, wonderful lanai with teak furniture, large sliding plantation shutters that will fully cover the floor to ceiling windows in order to darken the room for sleeping or shade the room from the sun, sitting area with at least love seat, chair, glass topped end and coffee tables, desk and chair, an of course bed(s) with nightstand(s) and control center for lighting and telephone. Only downside on room was tube TV, but who's watching TV anyway. Surroundings include the 4 man made lagoons, golf and Roy's restaurant course across the street. Very quiet and remote, good for relaxing, not much in the way of places within walking distance for dining otehr than Roy's, MVCI steakhouse and pool restaurant, and the hotel's Naupaka which is the hotel's main restaurant, Azul fine dining, Japanese restaurant which is only open certain evenings and I have not frequented, and the pool snack bar. Disney is building a resort hotel on the lot next to the JW.

The last trip I took was supposed to be for a friend's Change of Command ceremony, but after I and their relatives made all of our travel plans, the COC ceremony was changed to a later date. It worked out for the better actually as we got to spend more time having fun, instead of attending ceremonies, and since he had not yet taken his new post he could goof off. Anyway I wanted to be closer to the east side of the island, Kanehoe, where they live so I stayed at both the Waikiki Marriott and Courtyard.

The Waikiki Marriott was much nicer than I expected as it doesn't look like much from the street mainly because the main entrance is on the side street. The stay there was nice, and while the rooms were nice they paled in comparison to the JW which was expected. Bathrooms were a sink area open to the main room and another room that housed the tub/shower combo and toilet. Balcony had standard unmemorable metal patio furniture. The TV was a LCD. But again who's watching TV? Their Spa was much nicer than expected and had a beautiful view overlooking Waikiki Beach. Yes the hotel is across the street from the beach, which ended up not being a big deal at all. Noise form the city streets was not an issue IMO. Lots of things to walk to, and some great dining choices in Waikiki many within walking distance. I do not recommend the hotel restaurants as they were mediocre at best. There also also a lot of mediocre dining establishments throughout downtown Waikiki, so do your research before hand to pick the good ones. Downside is city atmosphere (I guess that could be an upside) which includes street vendors hawking their leaflets. I am not a shopper, but there are some very nice shops throughout Waikiki if that's your thing. The hotel has two pools on the 3 level which are very nice and again exceeded my expectations. Prices for hotel rooms are generally less than the JW especially if you can plan ahead.

Another alternative is the new Waikiki Courtyard. It has a boutique feel to it, WiFi is included. and they have a small pool and hot tub. Room rates and parking rates are the most affordable of the 3 hotels. It is Valet parking only. Rooms are smaller and mine only had a walk in shower which works great for me. The TVs are LCD and the room comes equipped with a refrigerator, but I was upgraded to a deluxe room. It is located about 3 blocks from the beach. Rates are much lower than the other Marriott choices.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 2:11 pm

New Marriott hotel on drawing board for Oahu North Shore

The hotel will be 228 rooms and located in Laie. http://www.mormontimes.com/around_ch...1840&preview=1
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
An article in the Honolulu Star Bulletin (10/20/09) suggests that the likely brand would be Courtyard by Marriott.

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...emolished.html
Old Nov 26, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
It's not on the drawing board, it's a reality. The hotel has been planned since 2006. The Laie Inn JUST recently closed and is been demolished. Since I worked out on the Northshore, I was hoping this was going to happen sooner or later. It's going to be affiliated with the BYUH and the PCC.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 7:36 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
It's going to be affiliated with the BYUH and the PCC.
Could you decode "BYUH and the PCC"?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 7:56 pm

BYUH = Brigham Young University Hawaii (??)

PCC = Polynesian Cultural Center (??)
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by dvc_john
BYUH = Brigham Young University Hawaii (??)

PCC = Polynesian Cultural Center (??)
Correct.

By way of background information for those who are too busy to read the article that I linnked to in my original post, the Laie, Hawaii campus of Brigham Young University has a hospitality management major for which the new hotel will provide a work-study environment.

The Polynesian Cultural Center, also located in Laie, is Hawaii's #1 paid tourist attraction, so having a hotel adjacent to it is a very logical thing to do. Many BYUH students are from the Polynesian islands and work at the PCC to earn money to go to BYUH.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: LH FTL, CNTL GLD, TK Elite, MR-Pltm, Avis First, Hertz PC
Ko'Olina or Waikiki Weather?

Hi there - in other words JW or Waikiki Marriott? I read many other articles about which hotel offers what... and i have that down and great.

I've heard that the southern part of the big island is drier which is something I'm looking for (less rain). i am planning to visit from feb 14th through the 20th and wanted to know if anyone who's been there during that time or lives there and knows the climate well, how the weather would be? Which area would have warmer, nicer, sunnier weather?

Thanks!

-swy

Oh ya - also what's up with 28$ to park a car ?!?!?! ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.