Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Gift Card promos [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Gift Card promos [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by craz
AFAIK there is no difference between the 2 just what they call them. Ive used them both at all the properties w/o any problems or questions being asked
That may be true at some properties, but not at all. Even when they were redeemed as VISA cards, some properties (e.g., Gateway Marriott at Crystal City) would enforce the T&C of the Travel Card (or Vacation Card) and not take them for certain rates including the Government rate. And I've run into others that will not accept them for certain "special" rates like senior rate. Finally, others have reported on this forum that some hotels are not accepting them for rates such as the AAA rate, see this thread.

And now some of the new Travel Cards state on them that they do not earn Marriott Rewards points when you pay with the card, while the Gift Cards don't say that. If that's the case, a platinum would lose 15% in value (if you figure the points to be worth a penny apiece) over what (s)he'd get if paying with the Gift card, or 20% over what would be earned by charging on the Marriott black VISA card.

That eats up the 10% bonus dollars and then some! Anyone have any experience paying all or part of a bill with a Travel Card or Vacation Card and getting no MR points for that part of the bill?

T&C for the different cards are as follows:

Gift Cards:
Marriott GiftCards may be used at participating JW Marriott®, EDITION℠, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Courtyard® by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Fairfield Inn & Suites® by Marriott, SpringHill Suites® by Marriott, Residence Inn® by Marriott, TownePlace Suites® by Marriott and Marriott Vacation ClubSM and participating hotel outlets: retail, spa, golf and food and beverage. Card carries no value until activated. Card is a prepaid card, not a credit card or debit card, and is the property of and issued by MI Fulfillment Services, LLC. There is no expiration date for card. Card is not redeemable for cash, in any amount except when otherwise required by applicable law. Card becomes inactive upon use of all card value. Card may not be used to secure or confirm a reservation. Each transaction will be debited against card balance, if transaction exceeds balance, user must pay the difference. Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged. To check card balance, go to gifts.marriott.com or call 800.442.6132. Account balance information outside the U.S. and Canada: Use the AT&T® access number for the country code you are calling in conjunction with 800.442.6132.
Vacation Cards:
Marriott VacationCards may be used at all JW Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Autograph Collection ℠Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott®Hotels & Resorts,Courtyard®, Fairfield Inn®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, SpringHill Suites®, Residence Inn®,TownePlace Suites®, Marriott Vacation Club® International (rentals only) and participating hotel retail, spa, golf or food and beverage outlets. Card is a prepaid card, not a credit card, and is property of and issued by MI Fulfillment Services, LLC. Protect card like cash. Card cannot be applied to group, special corporate/negotiated, catering, associate or other discounted/noncommissionable rates. Card cannot be used when reservation is booked by a travel agent or other third-party. Card cannot be used to secure a reservation. Card is not redeemable for cash and change will not be returned except as required by law. Change is not provided by hotels, see gifts.marriott.com for process. Card is not replaceable if lost, stolen or destroyed. Marriott TravelCard and Marriott GiftCard terms vary. Card becomes inactive at the earlier of (a) the use of all value or (b) posted renewal date. Upon request Marriott will replace card with a new card having an equivalent remaining value anytime after the posted renewal date. Each transaction will be debited against card balance; if transaction exceeds balance, user must pay the difference. To check card balance visit gifts.marriott.com or call 800-442-6132. For balance information outside the US and Canada use the AT&T Direct® access # for the country you are calling from with 800-442-6132. Use of card confirms acceptance of terms above.
Travel Cards:
1. Marriott TravelCards may be used at all JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection SM, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Courtyard®, Fairfield Inn®, SpringHill Suites®, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®, Marriott Vacation Club® and participating hotel retail, spa, golf or food and beverage outlets.
2. Card is a prepaid card, not a credit card, and is property of and issued by MI Fulfillment Services, LLC.
3. Protect card like cash. Card cannot be applied to group, special corporate/negotiated, catering, associate or other discounted/non-commissionable rates.
4. Card cannot be used when reservation is booked by a travel agent or other third party
5. Card cannot be used to secure a reservation.
6. Card is not redeemable for cash and change will not be returned except as required by law.
7. Change is not provided by hotels, see gifts.marriott.com for process.
8. Marriott Rewards points cannot be earned with the use of this card.
9. Card is not replaceable if lost, stolen or destroyed. Marriott TravelCard and Marriott GiftCard terms vary.
10. Card becomes inactive at the earlier of (a) the use of all value or (b) posted renewal date.
11. Upon request, Marriott will replace card with a new card having an equivalent remaining value anytime after the posted renewal date. Each transaction will be debited against card balance; if transaction exceeds balance, user must pay the difference.
12. To check card balance - visit gifts.marriott.com or call 800-442-6132.
13. For balance information outside the US and Canada, use the AT&T Direct® access # for the country you are calling from with 800-442-6132.

Use of card confirms acceptance of terms above.
(In all above cases, I've added the bolding -- it wasn't bolded in the T&C.)

This issue is discussed regularly in this forum. Do a search for "TravelCard" or "Travel Card" here over the last year and you'll see many threads on the subject.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:09 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Great post, Counsellor!! ^
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Thanks a lot Counsellor! I definitely prefer the GC promo vs the DL Vacation card promo.

Last year I got 1% cash back through ebates for purchasing GCs (I live in Europe so there is limited cashback sites I can use).
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
Thanks a lot Counsellor! I definitely prefer the GC promo vs the DL Vacation card promo.

Last year I got 1% cash back through ebates for purchasing GCs (I live in Europe so there is limited cashback sites I can use).
I totally forgot about that part of it. Big Crumbs does 4% cash back on Marriott but it generally takes some fighting to get the credit.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by craz
AFAIK there is no difference between the 2 just what they call them. Ive used them both at all the properties w/o any problems or questions being asked

also I dont believe any of these can be used for ADP/ADV even when they were considered a VISA CC
I bought Marriott cards on this deal, and am now holding Vacation cards. The cards specifically say on their back that MR points cannot be awarded using the Vacation card. It remains to be seen whether that is true or not, especially if you mix payment mechanisms. I'll report back...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
If you shop through the Chase shopping Mall for ultimate rewards, you can earn an additional 4 extra pts. Bolding mine.

T&C

Please note these terms & conditions: Special increased earnings now through 12/31/2011! Eligible on the purchase and redemption of gift cards. Not eligible on Grand Residences by Marriott, EDITION Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, and Marriott ExecuStay. Not eligible on use of discount-rate codes, redemption of Marriott Rewards points, or Marriott Rewards rate codes. Not eligible if there are changes to the initial online reservation. Not eligible until the trip has commenced.

Last edited by PWMFlyer19; Nov 17, 2011 at 6:44 am Reason: edit name for chase shopping mall
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Instructions for the Hotel Front Desk

I have had major issues trying to use these at Marriotts and Renaissance Hotels outside of the US and sometimes inside of the US.

Does anyone have an instructional document that tells the front desk how to use these?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
how do you change the shipping method? it's focing the $8.50 express shipping
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Originally Posted by ejh25
I totally forgot about that part of it. Big Crumbs does 4% cash back on Marriott but it generally takes some fighting to get the credit.
When I checked out the Bigcrumbs rates for the Marriott site it only offers the 4% rebate for booked travel. No categories seem to accommodate gift cards. Any one else see how to get the rebate on the gift cards?

Last year I was successful in getting the 4% rebate but the terms on Bigcrumbs were different and it took several months and two tickets.

Last edited by RDUflyer2; Nov 18, 2011 at 1:26 pm
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travel.flier
It's a dollar amount issue for shipping insurance. I believe if you drop the card value below $1,000 then it should allow a cheaper shipping method. If it's not $1,000 it's something lower than that.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
When I checked out the Bigcrumbs rates for the Marriott site it only offers the 4% rebate for booked travel. No categories seem to accommodate gift cards. Any one else see how to get the rebate on the gift cards?

Last year I was successful in getting the 4% rebate but the terms on Bigcrumbs were different and it took several months and two tickets.
I just searched Marriott on BigCrumbs and it pulled up a specific Marriott Gift Card link. See here.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Don't forget you will earn points when you spend the extra $100...so the difference is only 8500 for plats, 8750 for golds, etc. assuming 10/pts per dollar spent.
The way I figure it for a $250 purchase for a platinum:

10 pts. per $
2,500 points at purchase
3,750 points when used at 10 pt. (+50% bonus) property
6,250 point total

or

10% more $
4,125 points when used at 10 pt. (+50% bonus) property
$25 more of something while at the property (i.e., room charge, food, gift store item)

The question then becomes was the bonus $25 at the property worth 2,125 points. Considering $25 purchases 2,000 points, does the first example come out 125 points ahead?

Am I missing something?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by travel.flier
I'm also having that trouble. The complimentary envelope doesn't say anything about required shipping but the little suitcase requires the $8.50 shipping. I'm going for the complimentary envelope.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:45 pm

This seems like a good deal for those of us getting reimbursed to get additional points. If I understand correctly:

10 Points per dollar extra
MR Credit Card Points
Points from hotel when using the GC

Seems like a good deal to me.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
I have had major issues trying to use these at Marriotts and Renaissance Hotels outside of the US and sometimes inside of the US.

Does anyone have an instructional document that tells the front desk how to use these?
I've had issues as well - I wouldn't call them "major", but it does take some planning. I typically approach the desk either several hours before I have to leave or even the night before. I present my cards and tell them how I want it billed (ie, use this card and bill the rest on my VISA), and they figure it out. Sometimes it takes a few hours.

The point is don't try to do it last minute. It prolly won't happen.

I just stayed in the Singapore Marriott and the JW in Kuala Lumpur using this method. No issues.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.