Search

Platinum now gets Suite !?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Platinum now gets Suite !?

unconfirmed source:

title says all, starts now, may limited to SE Asia, China.....^

Last edited by ysb41; Nov 1, 2011 at 11:00 am Reason: add more info.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Lack of suite upgrades is my biggest complaint against the Marriott program. I'm not expecting it all of the time but something more than currently occurs would be very nice.

I will say that JW Las Vegas, JW Lima, and Sonoma Ren have been very good about upgrades for me.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
no suites for me..and have 300 nights...have to say it's probably limited
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I feel Marriott usually gives a suite upgrade, if possible.

If you are staying for numerous nights in a row, it is obviously more difficult to be upgraded to a suite. However, if you are in an out for one night stays (i.e. the hotel knows no one will be using it tonight, and there is no harm in giving it away since you will be gone tomorrow), I belive I am 100% on suite upgrades...best yet: JW Marriott Park Lane in London...upgraded to one of the nicest suites I've stayed at yet.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Youve been very lucky. I believe my husband is finishing up his fourth, maybe fifth year as plat and has had two suite upgrades both on one night stays where he was alone. We've had a couple of "junior suites" when we were together, but those were just slightly larger rooms and to be in honest in NYC a junior suite= a regular room anywhere else.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Well .. 244 "but in bed" nights so far this year and only 2 "junior suites" which I would agree is simply a slightly bigger than a standard room. Zero real suites ! I have been a Platinum Premier for years now and it seems the more years I am, the fewer the upgrades. Great story ... Last week I checked in to the Houston Marriott at the airport. The fellow at check in was effusive !!! Told me how he had never seen as many miles as I had accumulated. He went to say how much Marriott values members like me and can't imagine spending that much time away from home at a hotel .. He went on and on ... While he was rambling, and i was smiling, i thought "finally a suite" !! Well, My room, a standard king .

Pays to be loyal, right ?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta platinum, Marriott platinum
I have had occasional success with obtaining suite when I have emailed general mgr in advance or gotten to know the Rooms Control person at a full service Marriott or Renaissance. I usually at least get a room upgrade from the base room I usually book.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I still see
Free Room Upgrade: Suites not included
in the T&C's.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
.......ive had no luck ever securing an upgrade. just spent a night at teh Fairfield Amarillo, and then the next night at the Marriott Vail Resort, and I had a bigger room in the Fairfield!! I think we were put in the smallest room possible in Vail!!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
My best suite upgrade was on a point stay at JW Marriott in Bangkok! Royal Suite was HUGE! (the biggest one they have). I get suites now and then on one day stays and on occasions at Fairfield on few day stay and twice for a week stay at Courtyard (Arlington). I also get nice suite on one or two night stay at Marriott Marquis in Atlanta over weekend. However as many mentioned, longer the stay less chances.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
I can't tell you how many times I have seen posts that say if you stay 1 night you are more likely to upgrades and suites (presidential specifically). I stay tons of one night stays and it NEVER matters ? I understand the logic, but not in my case and I'm the case where it should matter ... In theory ...
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ysb41
unconfirmed source:

title says all, starts now, may limited to SE Asia, China.....^
Why can't Marriott have the cojones to "just do it"?

It's time to make some radical moves to recognize Platinum elites beyond the stingy megabonus, free breakfast but only at some brands and not on weekends, evaporating EEO, etc......

Step up to the plate Bill, and take the plunge on a worldwide basis. Trust me, you can do it.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:16 am

dont you guys know that marriott has a shìt list?

The more you stay the more down you go down on that list.
See newly minted golds receive all the suites to show them how good Marriott is. The more you stay and the better status you get, they know you will stick with them, so they won't upgrade you.

Thats Marriott for you....
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by libuser
dont you guys know that marriott has a shìt list?

The more you stay the more down you go down on that list.
See newly minted golds receive all the suites to show them how good Marriott is. The more you stay and the better status you get, they know you will stick with them, so they won't upgrade you.

Thats Marriott for you....
Maybe has a grain of truth?

I'd be content if they just stuck to "the best available" room promise in the US.

I find just getting on the Concierge Level is often a hassle and never automatic. If its not pre-requested and done by the Rooms Controller in advance, you're at the mercy of the FD clerk at check-in who often will give the "not available" excuse rather than do the work to move the room...

Last edited by joshua362; Nov 3, 2011 at 9:39 am Reason: added US
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:08 am

My upgrade experience being a Platinum here in Asia is:
Concierge level - 100%
Suite - 50%

So getting a Suite is no surprise here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.