Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott has eliminated the all-inclusive reward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott has eliminated the all-inclusive reward

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I am disappointed that this is gone. While I dont think I would have redeemed this award anytime in the near future, it was something I was looking forward to in a few years time as I transition over to taking more "bumming on the beach" vacations. Now its another option that is gone

So in your case 3 months warning wouldn't have helped. And I suspect would not have helped most people who were thinking about these awards as a "maybe someday" option.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Oct 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
So in your case 3 months warning wouldn't have helped. And I suspect would not have helped most people who were thinking about these awards as a "maybe someday" option.
Who was this comment for?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by TravelersWife
I guess I understand why people who used this award and liked it are disappointed however it was only around for a couple of years anyway.

Instead of seeing it as a gift while it was available, Marriot is now cursed for discontinuing it?....It's not like it was a forever guarantee when you signed up for it - when most of us signed up it wasn't even an option.
You are missing the point.

Members understand programs change, but I don't think its too much to ask that you provide your most loyal customers with some advance notice. It's called COURTESY & RESPECT. Marriott has been guilty of this in the past and yet it seems like they've learned nothing.

The knife cuts both ways... I now only stay with Marriott if I can find a lower rate using the LNF guarantee. My loyalty with Marriott is now based on price not earning or redeeming points.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
The ai option was the only reason I began staying with Marriott. Then I found out about the travel package and sav3d for that. I am at 269k points and was going to hold off redeeming until a good airline bonus like 50%, but now I'm scared that will be gone too.

I would feel a lot better if the Marriott concierge would reassure me that the travel packages are not next to go.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:57 pm

Let me start by saying that I agree (and threw in a few comments) with the disappointment on the "no warning" changes to the program. I think it's unnecessary, alienating and prospectively altering for an ultra-elite clientele. I used the AI option a few times and would have definitely done so again. I am PLT and stay in 85 nights/year range.

That said, how many people are "like us." This board is probably the most active Marriott discussion group on the internet. Even with that, there are maybe 5-8 new threads a day and a group of around 35 or 40 people who comprise 90% of the posts. I'm a "johnny come lately" to this group although I've read it intermittently for years. My point is that we can be outraged, annoyed, threaten to leave the program/chain and promise to tell everyone we know. But, at the end of the day, I think we constitute less than .25% of the Marriott super-elites (gold/platinum). Most elites don't notice, don't care, don't stress over changes and travel because they have to without enjoying the component that all of us do. That doesn't excuse what I think is a poor move from Marriott, but it does put into perspective the fact that we are a teeny minority. To boot, I don't actually believe that any Marriott gold/platinums are going to abandon ship for another program based on this change to MR.

Marriott screwed up and hopefully they will see the light and not run this play again. It's a similar move to the elimination of the BOGO weekend nights. But, I think we need to keep perspective that we are the travel geeks who follow this, care about it and talk about it. And, we are an extreme minority. It doesn't excuse their move, but it does put in in perspective.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
And that is exactly what Marriott hopes will happen.That they can get away with acting poorly and no one will notice.
But in this age of social media that is a poor wager IMO. It only takes one person getting attention and their displeasure going viral for a very black mark against a company to be made public in a much wider fashion.

So I suggest posting about a companies poor behavior in every social media outlet you can- it can make a difference.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premiere, United Premiere, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Back to packing my own alcohol

This is extremely unprofessional of Marriott to do. At least offer 14 days notice at the VERY least.

I'll just have to go back to packing suitcases of my own booze along with XXL Ziploc bags filled with ice and store it all in the bathtub.

Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JimLtravels
The issue here isn't the poor food at the resort. I also chose to eat outside of the resorts when I stayed there. The issue is Marriott's attempt to "sneak one by" their customer base.
I'll echo that, for feedback to those making the decisions.

I would never use this award, though I have no issues with others' differing opinions and preferences. And I know all the programs reserve the right to make changes at any time, unannounced.

But top restaurants also have no requirement to provide attentive service, learn your name, etc., They do it as a competitive differentiators in the market. How you treat customers influences how your customers feel about you.

If MR had provided advance notice, I'm sure there would have been the same hew and cry about devaluation. But there would have been the grudging "but thanks for the advance notice", as can be seen over and over as William on the SPG board often provides advance notice of changes.

But doing it with no advance notice - heck, no notice even after it was done - shows a complete tone deafness in this era of enhance communication, social media, etc. The recent commercials I've seen for "online reputation insurance" companies immediately comes to mind.

Much as it's often not the crime, it's the coverup - here, it's not the change, it's the failure to communicate.

Originally Posted by jtp1947
If Marriott can cancel the AI award with no notice, what's next? They could also cancel the travel packages, change hotel categories and devalue points with no notice.
Yes, just like they could have yesterday, last week, and last year.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
No it wouldnt have helped as such. However, one chooses a given loyalty program based on the variety of redemption options available. The less the number of options, the less valuable the program becomes.

The EEOs were particularly useful on weekends when I would fly the Mrs. over to my project city instead of going back home and those I am going to miss a lot. This was the one reason I would push hard every year to get Plat. The AI was a nice feature that I was hoping to use someday and that enhanced the value of the program to me because I had that option.

I am increasing leaning towards SPG or Hyatt for the next year. Hopefully those programs dont start diluting as much.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by mstrg325
This is extremely unprofessional of Marriott to do. At least offer 14 days notice at the VERY least.

I'll just have to go back to packing suitcases of my own booze along with XXL Ziploc bags filled with ice and store it all in the bathtub.

This is awesome. Being a frequent traveler, the free checked bags will come in handy for this sole reason.

I loved the AI because my wife could order a drink poolside, take 3 sips, and then get something else without issue. It kept things peaceful, because if she ordered a drink @ $9 a piece and only took 3 sips, u better believe she would hear about it. And then I'd hear about it because I'd be tanked making sure the drink didnt go to waste.

I cant say I'm shocked they eliminated it, especially after they cut some properties off the list earlier in the year. I just wish they raised the point level to allow members who truly value this option a chance to use it.

Thanks to mstrg325, my next marriott vacation will have a bathtub full of booze and plenty of water bottles to take them poolside.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dubbledxu

I loved the AI because my wife could order a drink poolside, take 3 sips, and then get something else without issue. It kept things peaceful, because if she ordered a drink @ $9 a piece and only took 3 sips, u better believe she would hear about it. And then I'd hear about it because I'd be tanked making sure the drink didnt go to waste.

I cant say I'm shocked they eliminated it, especially after they cut some properties off the list earlier in the year. I just wish they raised the point level to allow members who truly value this option a chance to use it.
This a million times. I thought it was a great value, maybe too great of a cost to Marriott. If that is the case, increase the price, don't just scrap the entire thing.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Hello all,

To help clear up some confusion, The All Inclusive Reward has been discontinued as of Oct. 17th.

The Travel Package Rewards are not gone and can still be ordered.

Kind regards,

Marie
I called today and was told I cannot book the travel package.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Allvest
I pm'd the Marriott Concierge and asked for a response here.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
I pm'd the Marriott Concierge and asked for a response here.
Glad I was able to send my daughter and husband to the Los Suenos in Costa Rica on their honeymoon this past August, AI. They were still talking about it today.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:16 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by Allvest
Hello all,

The travel package which includes a 7 night stay, miles to your preferred airline, and 25% of hertz coupon. Is still offered in the Marriott Rewards program, There has been no change to this reward.

The reward itself is still subject to availability, so that may be what the issue was. Do you know if it was only unavailable for your planned use at the one specific property or dates of stay?

Kind regards,

Marie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.