Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott has eliminated the all-inclusive reward

Marriott has eliminated the all-inclusive reward

Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:30 pm

Just switched a bunch if reservations to Hyatt. Will continue to do so due to this change. Unfortunate but as a consumer, I take my business where I think it is rewarded appropriately.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by hornet25
I really don't understand why anyone would want to eat hotel food for 5-7 days straight. It is totally incomprehensible to me why anyone would pay for the privilege of doing it.
I'm not sure why people always have to comment how other people like to use points. It reminds me of the people who say they won't use a point unless they are getting like 6 cents per point.

Here's why some people use these and like them and are VERY UPSET they are gone:
- It includes two adults and two kids, everything is paid for
- It also includes kids club activities for the little ones, so that's like $80 a day or so in value if your kids like them
- We like frozen drinks on the beach and trying new ones. Sure I could say no or limit yourself, but here's a chance to try things different and not worry about the $12 plus service charge and tip
- The kids love trying smoothies and other things too

I really try and watch my point value to get the most out of what I use, but my calculations came out very good for these - especially considering the kids. Sure, I could go out and try some other restaurants, pay for it out of my pocket, pay for the car or cab, but our goal is to relax and enjoy the sun and sand.

BOO to Marriott for getting rid of this. I was looking forward to booking another one for holidays 2012, but time to start looking somewhere else.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
More disregard for Marriotts best customers from Ed French's office

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Oct 23, 2011 at 9:31 pm
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:18 pm

BTW=just wait until the changes are announced in the upcoming year
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I seriously doubt this came from Ed French's office. More likely from the regional folks in charge of the Carribbean area, since this was clearly a regional level initiative that some hotels in one particular area had decided to offer.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:36 pm

The decission to not issue advance warning regarding the elimination of this offer this offer,just like not giving advance warning about the discontinuation af the EEO benefits, is most certainly the(poor)work of Ed French's department.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 4:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Originally Posted by mileshound
This whole thing STINKS.

How many book the nights then months later book the AI package? Very few I am sure. This is no consolation to those of use where were planning on booking the whole package in the near future.

Just one more reason I am re-evaluating my Marriott relationship. I moved most of my business to IC last year and have had few regrets.

I guess time to move my Ritz stay next week to the IC as a form of silent protest.
Well, I'm among the "very few" apparently. Have a St. Kitts trip booked for next spring, but was wating on booking the AI portion until closer to the trip. I waited primarily in case we needed to change dates or cancel... So I definitely breathed a sigh of relief to see I now have until January to book the AI package.

Not my case, but another reason to add it on later might be the need for additional time to build up the additional points required...

I'm disappointed that this option is gone, but glad that it seems they will allow AI add-ons for packages that are already booked. I'm wondering if there will be any official communication of this change? I consider myself lucky that I'm watching FT to learn about this change...
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VA1379
Have you seen Hilton's recent enhancements to their awards program? I would put their BS excuse for less standard room award availability ahead of Marriott's unannounced elimination of the all-inclusive award.
Yes, but I've always held Marriott to a higher standard than HHonors. Shame on me for being naive, I guess... I've been slowly learning my lesson in recent years: none of these programs has real loyalty to me, therefore I shouldn't have any real loyalty to them.

This is incredibly bush league and disappointing - even though I personally probably wouldn't ever use this particular award type.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Very bad form to implement this with no advance warning.

Cheers.
+1

Originally Posted by jtp1947
If Marriott can cancel the AI award with no notice, what's next? They could also cancel the travel packages, change hotel categories and devalue points with no notice.
Exactly. Wouldn't be surprised if that would happen overnight next time when the program is "enhanced".
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 1MM USAir SP Marriott Plat National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bucs0721
Sheesh, this really sucks.

I have a trip planned to St. Kitts in the spring (room already reserved with points). I was waiting to build up some more points before ordering the AI.

Now, I'll probably switch over to the Hilton for a spring getaway.

Really, really ticks me off we weren't given any notice.
HIlton? I can't even bring myself to use my Hilton points at the inflated totals required for a short stay at a modest Hilton hotel...
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pinniped
This is incredibly bush league and disappointing - even though I personally probably wouldn't ever use this particular award type.
+1. The all-inclusive reward wasn't highly attractive to me personally because of my situation and travel style, but I absolutely sympathize with people who feel frustrated about the sudden change. Marriott Rewards should announce such changes in advance to its members. There's no way MR can make everyone happy when they eliminate a benefit, but providing notice so people can make better plans helps.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:01 pm

I guess I understand why people who used this award and liked it are disappointed however it was only around for a couple of years anyway.

Instead of seeing it as a gift while it was available, Marriot is now cursed for discontinuing it?....It's not like it was a forever guarantee when you signed up for it - when most of us signed up it wasn't even an option.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by TravelersWife
I guess I understand why people who used this award and liked it are disappointed however it was only around for a couple of years anyway.

Instead of seeing it as a gift while it was available, Marriot is now cursed for discontinuing it?....It's not like it was a forever guarantee when you signed up for it - when most of us signed up it wasn't even an option.
Here's to hoping they take all of your points and close your account.

I mean...your points were a gift while you had them.

It is idiotic comments like these that make my head spin!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:40 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
The good news is now SPG has a couple AI hotels (bookable with points) in the caribbean. Time to stock up on SPG points!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Here's to hoping they take all of your points and close your account.

I mean...your points were a gift while you had them.

It is idiotic comments like these that make my head spin!
+1

I am disappointed that this is gone. While I dont think I would have redeemed this award anytime in the near future, it was something I was looking forward to in a few years time as I transition over to taking more "bumming on the beach" vacations. Now its another option that is gone.

The one I truly miss are the 3-2-2 Europe stays for like 150K points under the old system before the "enhancements" were rolled out in 2009.

I am now sitting on ~1.3M points with approx 130 nights/year going to Marriott. Maybe its time to find a new bed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.